Third-Party Pentax Lenses - Reviews and Database » Samyang Lenses » Prime Lenses
Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Review RSS Feed

7.7
24 82,051 Tue October 30, 2018

Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC

The fourth shortest focal length in the contemporary Samyang range of large aperture, manual focus, prime lenses after the two fish-eyes and the 10mm. This 14mm manual focus lens is fully compatible with full frame 35mm K-mount film and digital bodies.

This lens is also available branded as Rokinon, Vivitar, Sakar, Polar, Walimex, Bower, Bell+Howell and perhaps other brands. Variations seem to be cosmetic although different weights have been reported between brands.

The aperture range is F2.8 to F22 in half stop increments (except F19) via the aperture ring. "A" is setting included for aperture control from the camera body. The mount is Pentax KA (Samyang calls this KR but there is no 'Ricoh pin').

The focus ring action is ~250° (in Pentax direction) by internal focus mechanism.

Construction: Metal body and mount with non-rotating, permanently fixed plastic bezel/hood. There is no filter thread. The lens cap is a plastic grip type, 35mm x 91.5mm.

Origin: Korea.

Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC
Automatic, 6 blades (rounded)
KA

APS-C: 93.9 ° / 82.8 °
Full frame: 115.7 ° / 105.9 °
Built-in
Pouch included
Included
Multi-coated
87.5 x 95 mm (3.44x3.74 in.)
(in production)
No filter thread

Also marketed as Rokinon, Bower, and various other brands

Buy Lens: Buy the Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC
In-Depth Review: Read our Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC in-depth review!
Price: $399
Mount Type: Pentax KA

Add Review of Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Buy the Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 24

Lens Review Date: October 30, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $250.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Cost, Sharpness
Cons: Front element, Size, Focus
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 5    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 7    Value: 8    Camera Used: K1

I am still getting used to this lens. Its big and heavy, and the front element gives me the scare. Coming from pentax, i find the focus to be tricky to use. I have a feeling that when you get used to the focus ring, it will be easy to manage it. Colors are nice and images are sharp beyond wide open. For me, at f2.8 the images aren't sharp but usable.

IMGP7016 by mouryach, on Flickr

Registered: October, 2011
Location: British Columbia

Lens Review Date: August 3, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $150.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp wide open, K-A pin, Aperture ring (film cameras), build quality
Cons: Can't mount filters directly (expensive adapter exists), Flare, QC, Comparatively heavy, lousy lens cap
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 7    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-1, K-2 (film)

My copy is the Vivitar Series 1 version (Marked as 13mm, but optically 14mm ;) with the oversized rubber focusing ring. I am very impressed with the performance of this lens.

Of the three ultrawide lenses that I've owned (Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, Pentax FA-J 18-35mm, and this Samyang 14mm) this one is the overall best. That being said, my copy of this lens needed to be adjusted to achieve infinity focus.

The Good:
-It is surprisingly sharp straight from f/2.8 and remains so throughout its range, losing sharpness only to diffraction. Its sharp enough that cropping to APS-C (~21mm) still makes sense with this lens.
-Its colors tend to be bright and contrasty.
-It meters accurately on all my K-mount cameras as well, which lets me use this lens confidently on film where there is no chimping permitted.
-The focusing ring is smooth as silk without any slop.

The Bad:
-Ghosting is very much an issue when the sun is in or near the frame.
-ND and graduated ND Filters cannot be attached to this lens without the use of an additional adapter (which isn't cheap).
-It's not terribly light
-THE LENS CAP IS HUMONGOUS. Where do you put the dang thing! A small detail, but it makes carrying a camera bag a must. It won't even fit into a men's jacket pocket, unless its a parka!

Pentax K-1, 30 seconds, F/5.6, Iso 400
Garibaldi Provincial Park, British Columbia, Canada

Pentax K-2, Kodak Portra 160 Aperture ? Shutterspeed ?
London, England, UK

Pentax K-2, Kodak Portra 160 Aperture ? Shutterspeed ?
London, England, UK

Pentax K-1, 1/2 seconds, F/8, Iso 200.
Bramante Staircase, Vatican City

Pentax K-1, 260 Seconds, F/11, Iso 100
Science World, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Pentax K-1, 1/400 Seconds F/8, Iso 320
Leh, Ladakh, India

Registered: December, 2009
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand

Lens Review Date: May 11, 2018 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: $310.00 | Rating: 4

Pros: Cost (if you got a good one), potential for sharpness, nice handling
Cons: Quality control
Sharpness: 4    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 4    Camera Used: K-1

Firstly I own 2 other Samyangs: a 85 f1.4 (love it!) and 8mm f3.5 fisheye (not perfect but a very handy lens on APS-C). So I was looking forward to adding another Samyang to my collection.

Very first impressions were quite good. I liked the build and centre sharpness looked promising. Did find it surprisingly tricky to completely nail focus though (as others have said). Size is fine on the K-1 and I saw surprisingly little in the way of chromatic aberrations. Also I don't mind manual focus and could live with the distortion.

However I quickly noticed the edges (particularly left side) were very soft and left corners mushy. There was still some softness even stopping down to f8 (needed f11 to get somewhat sharp across the frame). Further investigation found the focal plane was tilted by quite a lot. I posted a photo on these forums to confirm my thoughts (agreed unanimously). Also (as usual it seems) infinity focus was off but I kind of expected that (had the same problem with my 8mm).
Even if I corrected infinity focus it certainly would be absolutely useless for star shots and even most landscapes (although f11 would return so so shots). I was probably better off with my mobile phone camera.
Even if I was just using it for APS-C, I would not have been happy with this copy as still soft at edge of APS-C frame (but IQ probably approaching acceptable across frame at f8).

So I sent it back to the supplier with a detailed description (and examples) of what is wrong with it. The supplier sent it back to the manufacture and 3 weeks later word came back that nothing was wrong with the lens and it meets manufacturers tolerance! I debated this with the supplier and eventually, to their credit, they gave me a full credit for the lens (although some other poor consumer was probably going to get this lens which bothers me!). However if I got another 14mm from them and it performed the same then there would be no further credit.

I researched further and noted (from various forums) that its not uncommon to have to get 3 copies (or in one case 4!), in order to get a good copy of this lens. It seems that Samyang has some significant QC issues. So I decided to bail on getting a Samyang 14mm, which is sad given how I love the Samyang 85. In the meantime I will stick with my Sigma 20mm and SMC Pentax 17mm F4 Fish-Eye.

I probably should have given overall rating a "1" or "2" but I know if you persist and are either able to test your copy before buying or at least easily return multiple copies if need be, then it is possible to get a good copy. So compromised on a "4".

Maybe if it was for APS-C only I would give it a higher rating as its probably more likely to find an acceptable copy than for full frame but its sold as a full frame lens.

Good luck if you decide to buy one and don't buy unless you are able to return multiple copies!

Registered: November, 2017
Lens Review Date: November 26, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Image quality, sharpness, bokeh, buiding quality, great handling,
Cons: nothing for me
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Sony A7 / Kodak Pro 14n

Very great ultrawild lens for reasonable price,

Registered: December, 2009
Lens Review Date: April 26, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: excellent sharpness & contrast
Cons: big & heavy, distortion
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-1

This lens requires a psychological shift from what we got from Pentax in terms of small, light lenses. This thing is at least 3-4 times bigger and heavier than the DA15 or M20 (I know, you can't compare because the Samyang is full frame and 2.8, however it seems like Samyang engineers must be very big, strong types). Once you'll recover (grin) from this initial impression, you'll be very surprised by the absolutely excellent images this lens produces. Stunning. You'll also learn how to manage it: focusing, optimizing DOF, avoiding direct sunlight etc. to obtain best results.
Distortion is quite heavy and might be a problem for people not using LightRoom (I'm on Linux).

Registered: May, 2015
Location: Osaka
Lens Review Date: January 8, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $324.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Well made, good value, exceptionally sharp at f8
Cons: Soft under f4, lens flare,
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 6    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K30, K3

This is a very well made lens and it feels solid. Focus is smooth and there is long travel on the focus ring. The front element is a little bulbous so needs some care not to bump or scratch it. It is manual focus although in practice mine is always set to infinity as the hyper focal distance is very wide.

At 2.8 there is a fair bit of softness and it lacks contrast. However, this is just the nature of wide angle lenses of this type. It is perfectly usable from f4, great at 5.6 and quite remarkable at f8. In fact at f8 it is the sharpest lens I own - the resolution really is amazing.

I use mine for astrophotography where 2.8 is usable for wide sky shots such as the milky way. Other than that I use it stopped down on a tripod for landscape, gardens and inside buildings where it really shines.

Pictures are contrasty and almost clinical - it lacks the soft colors of Pentax lenses.

There is distortion but this can be corrected. Because of the large glass front element it is very prone to lens flare.

Yes I would recommend this lens but be aware of the softness under f4.

Registered: October, 2009
Location: North

Lens Review Date: July 13, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Ultra wide; Sharp; Cheap
Cons: distortion; flare
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K1; A7k

This is at time of writing one of the best UWA options out there for the FF K1.
Nothing matches its intended usage for wide landscape work at its price.
The next closest lens in the 15mm range is easily 3-6x more in price.

f2.8 is a plus if its needed and the lens is sharp in the center at f2.8
url=https://flic.kr/p/rEpkDR]20150315-DSC09783-2400[/url] by jenkwang, on Flickr

stopped down f8, f11, its the best one can get for the money.

DSC08682 by jenkwang, on Flickr

Sharp all the way to the corners.

IMGP2476-CompAdj-1 by jenkwang, on Flickr

IMGP0494-PixS by jenkwang, on Flickr

Pixel shifted full size sample here :

Distortion is the most I've seen on a lens, but in the reality of real world use, its :
1. Often not noticeable
2. Correct with one click of the Samyang 14/2.8 lens profile in LR
So its usually not a problem at all.

There is some ghosting flare when shot into the Sun, but its not overly bad.

Bottom line, its a $1600 DFA15-30, a hard to find Zeiss 15/2.8 or this right now as a sharp to the edges UWA option.
Find a good copy and its a keeper.

Location: West Berkshire
Lens Review Date: July 12, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $325.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, sharp, sharp! Nice and heavy.
Cons: That wideness takes in a lot of sky, thus affecting your exposure.
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax K-1

A lovely big fat heavy lens, but with a massive exposed front element to keep your fingers away from. Aperture and shutter speed are automatic but manual focussing is required. It's easy to think that with such a wide angle depth of field is enormous, but nevertheless, you DO need to focus quite carefully. I wish we had peaking through the viewfinder, as LiveView always seems to think the whole scene is in focus, so it's not awfully useable. The K-1 will ask you to tell it what the focal length is when you switch on, and there isn't a 14mm available in the choices, so I said 15 - it doesn't seem to matter too much.

Shoot in RAW if you're outdoors, because that super wide field of view takes in a lot of sky and will therefore darken your foreground.

Registered: September, 2006
Location: North Idaho
Lens Review Date: July 8, 2016 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: $319.00 | Rating: 3

Pros: quality construction, 3/4 circle stop to stop focus ring
Cons: soft, difficult to focus
Sharpness: 3    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 8    Value: 8    Camera Used: K-1

I purchased the Rokinon version of this lens, the new version with the red ring instead of the gold ring. I was very pleased with the construction of the lens. It is very solidly built. The snap-on lens hood is kind of funky. Reminded me of a tuna tin. Works well enough.

I really wanted to love this lens. It was a very good price, which has since dropped twenty dollars to the current price of $299 at B&H. Hard to beat that. But . . .

I just couldn't get the lens to focus very well. To confirm that it wasn't me or the body, I put on my A 24-50/4 and focused on the same subject. Plenty sharp with that old manual focus A lens. So, I concluded that it wasn't me or the body. Didn't care much for the colors either. Colors from a Pentax lens are just special, the pictures from the Rokinon were uninspiring and lacked in pop and vibrancy.

There are well known procedures to adjust the infinity focus, even some YouTube videos showing how. However, I didn't want to mess with having to do that. A new lens shouldn't need user adjustments that should have been done before it went out the back door of the factory. Besides, tweaking the focus points won't do anything about the colors captured by the lens. Sadly, I sent it back and ordered the D FA15-30/2.8 instead.

If you get a good Rokinon/clone 14/2.8, you will most likely be satisfied with the results, and will have saved a few Benjamin's in the process. The only way I can recommend this lens, and I would give it a high recommendation, is if you are very tight on funds, and you will only be viewing your images on a computer screen or printing 3x4 or 4x5 prints. Then you won't see the focusing flaws.

Registered: November, 2011

Lens Review Date: March 5, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $250.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Wide FoV, low aberation, good for astro and stereographic panoramas
Cons: Manual Focus, Quanity Control, Needed Infinity Focus Adjustment
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 5    Handling: 8    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-5

This lens was a quality control nightmare. This is a commonly reported problem for this lens. Had they not shipped obviously defective product, I would have given it a 9 or a 10 for price performance.

I have the Samyang branded version of this lens. The first copy I received had a tilted element and would not provide even focus across a star field. ALWAYS do a start field test on your lenses! Always! Non uniform focus in corners or varying CA or other variations across the star field indicates a defective lens. This is the hallmark of an improperly collimated lens. I sent it back and was sent a new one by B&H a couple days later.

The send copy would not focus to infinity. I manually calibrated the lens to go slightly beyond infinity and created a guide mark at infinity. Some day I may try to get the hard stop precisely at infinity - but to be honest I don't worry about it. Just make sure your lens goes to infinity - you should have very nice small ( 1-3 pixel wide ) point like stars at infinity. If you see a bunch of wider disks, it does not quite get there.

You can see the difference in the two copies of the lens here, as well as some samples:

So how do you callibrate infinity focus? Slowly rack the focus in steps, I used the ridges ( about 1mm wide ) on the focuser and took shots between each. Then on comparing them you can find the ideal focus tjhat minimizes flare and CA on stars in the edge of your photos. These are 10x enlargments of a star, each is about 2-3 pixels wide, But you can see the sweet spot for focus is to the right. These are at f/2.8.

I find this lens a very affordable, superior instrument for wide field photography or time lapse work. It is remarkably sharp and provides a uniformly sharp star field even at the edges ( the above series is from the extreme corners, CA and coma is remarkably well controlled, especially coma.

It is quite usable at f/2.8 and gets sharper, f/5.0 is it very sharp. Colors are OK, muted, not special. Distortions are present, correctable in post.

Where I use this lens is for doing pano spheres for stereographic projections ( little planets ). Its wide FoV and manual focus lend itself to this work. On APS-C you can cover the whole world sphere in about 24 to 28 shots with a lot of overlap. Here were made with this lens, patience, and Hugin:

Others are located here, most made with this lens:

For the price, this is a great lens. There are better performers at twice the price.

Registered: October, 2015
Lens Review Date: November 13, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $300.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Price - fast lens.
Cons: Nil
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 8    Value: 9

Nice lens for the price, I primarily use this lens for real estate photography or other tight spaces, haven't had the chance to capture any tight landscapes, but as you would imagine, the corners can stretch the image out of perspective.

There's a few samples here www.rabsphoto.com.au

Registered: August, 2013

Lens Review Date: March 30, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $259.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp across entire APS-C frame
Cons: OO Needed calibrated for hard stop , a bit of Barrel Distortion easily corrected in LR

I have the Bower Branded one.
Everyone has heard of all the QC issues over the OO Calibration being way off...Mine was no different at all.
Remember this is a ultra wide angle lens so its not east to view adjustments easily as other lenses when calibrating. More than once I thought it was soft and almost returned it for a replacement. I found the key to making it easier is to use f5.6 during calibration and not the f2.8
It was a pain getting the infinity hard stop dialed in correctly and took me about 100 images to get it spot on. However once done the calibration scale on the barrel was spot on.
Build is impeccable for a modern lens as is the "A" contacts on this lens. It has a huge focus throw and is nicely dampened.
The lens has no threads and has a permanent built in hood which makes it hard to use ND filters. There are aftermarket products to overcome this but they are almost the price of the lens.....take this into consideration.
This lens is a bit prone to ghosting and CA at wide open apertures against reflective or highly lit subjects , but it stops entirely at f4.0. Its not bad at all , but is noticeable if your not familiar with it.
This is the first lens I had to really work with as far as test shots and depth of field scale. Once dialed in it becomes a $$$$ making machine... Dragon Slayer....a Giant Killer......It performs !
This lens is so easy to use for street photography , close landscapes , and just about anything you can think of using a UWA lens for. I don't even focus....just set the scale and shoot. It nails it perfectly !
You don't even have to focus using a distance scale once familiar. Close focus only comes into play once your closer than 18" !
I drilled tiny marks on my scale in between the factory marks and designed a sharp focus scale for nailing it every time at a specific distance. Taped it right on the built in hood.....Easy !
Close focus on mine is at about 10" and super sharp. As you increase the distance the field of focus becomes HUGE and usable !
I got lucky and got a good copy the first time and feel very fortunate.
This lens can easily make sharp prints to 40" from a K30 and surpass 48" on a K3 .....that is after YOU figure out the calibration and scale settings and how to use them !
Set this baby at 1.2 meters and shoot away. Set it at 5' and everything from 3.5 feet to infinity is great. Set it at 7' and any and everything is sharp from 5' to infinity...YOU CANT MISS !
I made a sharp focus scale for mine but it really isn't needed after a bit of use. I will send a copy if you PM me.
There is a steep learning curve with any ultra wide angle lens and this one is even a bit more but its worth it to take your photography to a higher level.
Sharpest images are at f5.6-f8...but at f2.8 its still a winner and quite sharp and usable.
I would rate this lens with an overall score of 9.75 if it would let me.

Registered: August, 2010

Lens Review Date: October 28, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $385.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: sharpness, build quality,color rendering
Cons: lack of filter facility, barrel distortion
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 8    Value: 8

Registered: October, 2012
Location: Spanaway, WA. USA

Lens Review Date: September 28, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, even wide open, wide field of focus
Cons: not able to take a filter, distance marks not accurate
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 10

I have the Bower copy of this lens. I am really impressed with the quality of the photos it produces at 14mm. This is the second copy I got from B&H. The first one had a de-centered lens and I returned it for an exchange. This second one is really good.
It is sharp from 2.8 up. For me it did have a learning curve. The lens is a 14mm, but on a Pentax you have to input the focal length manually, and the closest number is 15mm. So on the exif data it will indicate 15mm instead of 14mm.

The lens does have distance scale marks on it, but the marks were not even close. I read where some have loosen the screws that hold the scale and move it for a more correct location. I handled it differently. I first put a piece of masking tape over the distance scale. Then I set up a focusing chart and used a tripod with strong light I tethered the camera to my laptop for quicker review at full screen. Starting at the closest focusing of 11.02 inches (28cm) I started focusing and making marks on the tape. I did this again at 8 feet, 35 feet, and infinity. I intend to use the hyperfocal distance.with the lens. With the distance marks I applied I can set the lens up even in poor light and know it will focus accurately.

The following photos are taken with the Bower 14mm lens with a Pentax K-5 II. The photos were taken in raw and processed in Lightroom 4.

Registered: July, 2012
Lens Review Date: July 11, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $300.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharpness, IQ, price
Cons: lack of autofocus
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 8    Value: 10

The only problem I have with this lens is the lack of precision regarding the marked distances on the barel. That being said, once I "learned" mine is seems to be quite easy to produce in focus pictures.
Stopped down to 8, this lens can produce astonishing images, and even wide open can give you some nice surprises

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:23 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!