Third-Party Pentax Lenses - Reviews and Database » Samyang Lenses » Prime Lenses
Samyang 35mm F1.4 AS UMC Review RSS Feed

10.0
 10.0
8 40,951 Thu June 23, 2016

Samyang 35mm F1.4 AS UMC

A fast, manual focus, moderate wide angle lens covering the 24x36mm full-frame format. On an APS-C camera the field of view is that of a normal lens. The optics include one aspherical element and two high refractive elements.

Samyang 35mm F1.4 AS UMC
Automatic, 8 blades (rounded)
KA

APS-C: 43.2 ° / 37.6 °
Full frame: 63.1 ° / 54.2 °
Multi-coated
83x110 mm (3.27x4.33 in.)
to Present

Also marketed as Rokinon, and possibly various other brands

Buy Lens: Buy the Samyang 35mm F1.4 AS UMC
Price: $499
Mount Type: Pentax KA

Add Review of Samyang 35mm F1.4 AS UMC Buy the Samyang 35mm F1.4 AS UMC
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-8 of 8

Registered: June, 2016
Location: Paris
Lens Review Date: June 23, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $350.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: built, price, optical quality
Cons: focus throw a bit short
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-1

This is my last acquisition for K-1 and it was not a lens i was looking for when bought it.

Already have the P FA 35/2, and Zeiss Distagon 35/2 and very satisfied with both. But wanted to test a larger aperture when i saw it for 300euros deal with 2 yrs warranty in a pro shop (last piece).

Was expecting to blow up the FA in sharpness but suprise, it surpasses the Distagon in terms of sharpness at F2 too. on the samyang, the focus throw is a bit short, but it's solid and precise.

I'm really satisfied with the lens, if you choose your background well, the bookeh is amazing and pictures have a lot of character.

The only thing i'm afraid, in time, is the glass quality of the front element. as i don't use uv filters. so i hope it has a good coating. but it can be a good lens on which to keep a permanent polarizer.

conclusion, if you find it, buy it. this lens is great.

Registered: May, 2014
Location: Linz

Lens Review Date: May 6, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $450.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: fast, razor-sharp
Cons: bulky, hood somewhat loose
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 8    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-3, P30

I own the WalimexPro branded version of this lens for 2 years now and I am very happy with it.

This lens helps to make quite an appearance, even an old P30 has a professional presence when it is attached to this device.
In other words this is a big and heavy lens. However its size also helps with a stable positioning and because of the manual focus you have to use both hands anyway.

Despite having a plastic outer sleeve it doesn't have a cheap and fragile looking appearance. The only troublesome part is the lens hood. It is still fully functional but it doesn't lock in place as strong as in the beginning and when I put the lens with the hood in reverse position into my camera bag I usually pull them out separately by now.

As others have mentioned before the lens focuses slightly beyond infinity, but the well damped focus ring is a pleasure to use and allows accurate focusing.

Now lets engage with sharpness. If and I mean IF you manage to nail focus this beast is sharp (8.5 out of 10 points) right from f1.4 and it gets crazy sharp (10 from 10 points) after f2.0 up to f4.0 or f5.6.
After that it is still sharp but other lenses catch up. That beeing said I don't hesitate to use this lens at f22 if I need longer shutter speeds (unfortunately I don't have ND-filters for 77mm filter threads yet) or if I need more DOF.

This lens has a pleasing bokeh and I also like the color rendition of the Samyang.
For your information if you are into starburst this lens has 8 aperture blades.

If you are into lowlight- or astro- photography or if you like playing around with DOF I can recommend this lens.
For everyday use in good light you might consider a smaller lens maybe with AF additionally to this beast (in daytime I for instance prefer my Pentax-F 35-70mm lens - it's smaller, lighter, has AF and stopped down to f8.0 - f11 the pictures are not distinguishable from the results you get with the Samyang as long as you are not into photographing testcharts)

Last but not least some examples:
f22, ISO 100, 30sec, this picture was taken in portrait orientation but I liked it better this way. in the right upper area you can see what flare can look like.
Tram by Patrick Bittermann, auf Flickr
f5.6, ISO 100, 10sec
Unlit Bridge by Patrick Bittermann, auf Flickr
f2.0, ISO 800, 2sec, not the best conditions because this picture was actually taken during a fullmoon night

Registered: February, 2011
Location: Maine

Lens Review Date: February 6, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, great colors, sharp, nice bokeh, sharp
Cons: heavy, focuses past infinity, heavy, strange flaring at times

EDIT: 4/30/15 Replacing my review after using the lens for a solid month in a Single In challenge.

I still have a shot to go yet, but I may as well sum up my experiences with the Bower 35mm now - I doubt an extra day will sway my opinion in any direction on it.

To start, I almost didn't buy the thing when I was lens shopping back in January. Theres very little information out there on the Samyang (I have the Bower rebrand) 35mm. Everybody seems to gush over the other lenses in Samyangs lineup instead, leaving the 35mm as kind of the redheaded stepchild of the group. I suspect this is more because Pentax has so many high quality options at 35mm (including TWO of their own in the plastic fantastic and the Limited).

So... why buy a manual focus lens from a (relative) newcomer to the scene?

You could argue the Samyang is cheap - but so is the plastic fantastic at half the Samyang's price. You could argue it has high IQ, but so does just about every other lens at this focal length. I suspect 35mm is one of those lengths like the 135 and 50mm were back in the old days - hard to screw up. I actually had the Pentax 35mm ltd in my digital checkout before I realized that the Samyangs were all on sale, so I ditched that for the Bower instead and tossed the extra savings into a better tripod than I'd picked out.

I'm really, really glad I did, because where the Samyang shines is at the wide apertures. I've always seen 'perfectly usable wide open' written about lenses before. I never, ever experienced it before. Sure, most of my lenses can be used wide open. A bit of sharpening and size reducing and the mush can get hidden quite well. The Samyang? I can go 100% crop with it, and the thing and still have an amazing shot. Start stopping it down and forget it - f/2 through f/4 are ridiculously sharp. Its not until after that that most of my other lenses start playing catch-up.

I can basically use this lens where every other one (save for possibly my fast 50's and maybe the Sigma 10-20) would fail me. I haven't played with my 85mm (the lens I bought originally with the 35mm as an afterthought!) yet to judge, but I already know the 85mm can be mush wide open.

The other area it seems to shine is for astrophotography. I've only had a handfuil of nights where the skies haven't been cloudy/blown out with moonlight but on the few chances I've had since picking the lens up in February to play with it, its done amazing provided I can nail focus. More on that below...

Of course there are a few annoyances with the 35mm. First is the size. I knew it was a big lens going in, but this thing is enormous for a prime. It also has one of the most craptastic hoods I've ever seen shipped with a lens. The petal hood tends to fall off if not just perfect, and of course filters won't work with it because of how its made. You have to use the filters minus the hood, and just hope flare doesn't catch you. Speaking of flare, the 35mm seems fairly resistant, but when it does all I can say is YIKES. That enormous front element (77mm filters!) will catch the light and give you some of the most amazingly strange flare you'll ever see, Luckily, you really have to work at it to catch the flaring once you realize the situations its likely to appear in.

One other 'flaw' (and this is more user error than anything) is that Samyang seems to have very poor QC going on as far as 'where to set the lens to stop', My copy (and by reviews I've read, just about any Samyang lens does this) will happily go a few notches past infinity, meaning I can't just crank it and forget it - I have to fiddle with it to bring infinity shots back to optimal sharpness. Not so bad in the daytime since I'd probably be shooting stopped down, negating the need to backpedal a hair but at night my star shots tend to mush out unless I get things juuuuuust right. You'll blast past infinity sharpness at wide apertures before you even know it. Its annoying, its a pain, but I guess its the price you pay if you're trying to shoot stars at night wide open with this beast.

Would I recommend the 35mm? In a heartbeat. Are there lenses that are cheaper/smaller/sharper? Yes, yes and I highly doubt it, at least wide open. If you don't mind a lack of autofocus this lens is absolutely amazing, especially for the price. I've seen shots from the Sigma 35 f/1.4 and I honestly can't tell the difference. I just know I paid about $500 less for my Samyang. If I ever have the spare cash at hand, I may grab a Pentax 35mm at some point, just because I've grown (rapidly) to love 35mm and a smaller, lighter lens with that focal length would be handy. (Seriously, the Samyang is that freakin' huge. Its like having a rock strapped to the front of the camera. A gorgeous, bokehtastic stupidly sharp rock)

Some of my favorite examples from this month (and prior)

This was a stupidly hard shot to get. The aforementioned 'blasting past infinity' came into play, big time. Prior to this shot I'd actually suspected doing this was impossible. But when I DID get it... holy cow.
Hint of an Aurora by Jody Roberts, on Flickr

The bokeh wide open.
April 1, 2015 - Rose Hip by Jody Roberts, on Flickr

Impromptu wide open shot
April 5, 2015 - Cars by Jody Roberts, on Flickr

And of course the shot that hit explore for me with it - this was actually mushed a bit in post process as I was trying to get the colors to behave,
April 22, 2015 - Front Street Fog; Waterville, Maine by Jody Roberts, on Flickr

And as we start stopping down, the bokeh (at least for close shots) just hangs in there...

f/2.8
April 14, 2015 - Dried by Jody Roberts, on Flickr
f/6.3
April 18, 2015 - Fresh Batch by Jody Roberts, on Flickr

And of course once stopped down for non-bokeh shots, it just gets silly with the sharpness.
April 20, 2015 - LaVerdiere's Rexall Drugs Warehouse No 1 by Jody Roberts, on Flickr
April 26, 2015 - A Break in the Weather; Waterville, Maine by Jody Roberts, on Flickr

On a scale of 1 to 10, this lens is easily a 10, even with the annoying 'focus past infinity' nonsense it has. Its probably the best lens in my kit at the moment. Granted, my kit isn't very impressive (save for size), but I don't see it getting knocked off its perch even with some of the (much) more expensive options out there.

Lens Review Date: May 26, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast, sharp at 1.4, great operation and handling
Cons: Infinity focus not calibrated, somewhat big
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax K5-ii

This is just an awesome lens. It's sharp as can be from f1.4, anywhere on the (Crop) frame, which makes it pretty great for night/low light pictures. The bokeh feels good to me too, but I wouldn't comment on the technical quality of it. I took it out 2 days and no pictures felt like they had a background that was too busy. The focus ring is large, smooth and has an appropriate travel distance. I mainly use it manually but focus trapping seemed to work well enough when I tried it.

On cons, this is a BIG lens. It makes it nice to handle but heavy to lug around. I have some issues with the included hood and cap, but it may be that I'm just stupid. The infinity focus is also not properly calibrated. I have an habit of putting a mark on my lenses for it but for "quick" hyperfocals this is too bad. I read somewhere that you can actually whip out a screwdriver and change the calibration yourself.

All in all, for the price, this is by far the best lens I ever handled. My eyes bleed when post processing pictures of it. I also love the 35mm focal length but that's subjective

f1.8 1/640 ISO 80

f1.4 1/320 ISO 80 (Kinda missed focus but I like the pic

Registered: May, 2011
Location: Marseille Provence

Lens Review Date: October 21, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $333.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Full-Frame, Focus-Ok (Nikon-F, Pentax-K), Fast, Sharp, No CA, Bokeh, Price
Cons: somewhat large and heavy
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 10

shot Hand-Held at F2.0 iso 50 - from JPEG Basic quality :LV (IL) = 15 ( Exif inside )

shot Hand-Held at F2.8 iso 200 1/25 sec. - from JPEG Basic - left-light crop = 100%
DxoMark is ok to help you decide which lens is better for you :

3 affordable 35mm FF Primes summarized :

Conclusion :
-if you need Fast operations and Center Sharpness at F1.4... buy the Sigma
-you rather shoot Architecture, Landscape : Samyang 35/1.4* is Sharp from Corner to Corner...
... from F2 to F16 with far less Astigmatism than both 2 others
-Nikon 35/2 for DX crop, or F5.6+

Sigma 35/1.4 vs Samyang 35/1.4 Astigmatism at F2.8 :

PS : Samyang 35mm f/1.4 AS UMC Specifications :
Diameter x Length : 83 x 109 mm
Weight : 660g

Location: Goodyear, AZ
Lens Review Date: June 27, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $315.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, Design, Speed, A mode
Cons: Size, MF only
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 9

Beautiful piece of kit. Comes with hood. Sharpness and detail is impeccable corner to corner. If MF and size are not an issue, this is lens is a must have. I have seen nothing at this price that can provide the results this lens is capable of.

Lens Review Date: January 24, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $420.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: f1.4 usable, sharp, nice Bokeh,
Cons: may be a little bit big and heavy
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 9

This lens is a winner. If youu do not need AF and enjoy to use a MF-lens this should be in your bag. It is not as small and light as a Pentax 35mm f2.8 Limited or as cheap as a Pentax 35mm f2.4, but it is worth eyery Cent/Penny/yen or whatever you have to pay for. This lens is so sharp, has such an nice handling and with f1.4 (full usable!) you can make pictures without flash while others have to use flash (and so they have to destroy available lightning).

Note: This lens has an A-setting so you can choose your aperture on your body and can focus wide open.

I love it and hope it will be in finde condition for many, many, many years!

Registered: March, 2012
Location: Melbourne
Lens Review Date: June 4, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $550.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Fast, great IQ
Cons: Bit large
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 9

Awesome lens, love it.
Add Review of Samyang 35mm F1.4 AS UMC Buy the Samyang 35mm F1.4 AS UMC

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:31 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!