Third-Party Pentax Lenses - Reviews and Database » Sigma Lenses » Legacy Zoom Lenses
Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical Review RSS Feed

Horizontal FOV: 122 - 84.1 degrees
Horizontal FOV on Digital: 81.3 56.1 degrees
Min. Aperture: F22
Optical Construction: 16 Elements in 12 Groups

No HSM autofocus on Pentax.
Buy Lens: Buy the Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical
In-Depth Review: Read our Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical in-depth review!
Mount Type: Pentax KAF2/KAF (screwdrive AF)

Add Review of Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical Buy the Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-8 of 8

Registered: December, 2010
Location: Colorado Front Range

Lens Review Date: October 26, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $450.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: wide angles, good geometry/low distortion
Cons: not the sharpest

I used to use this lens with a FF Sony a850, and I repurchased it when I got my K-1. It doesn't seem so sharp on my new camera. My Sigma 8-16 was much shaper on the K5IIs. The 12-24 is sharp near the center, but the edges aren't impressive by f8 (which, to be fair, may be only one stop down). This weakness is only visible when enlarging the image on a jumbo desktop screen, of course. I'd call the sharpness "adequate," but for landscapes and other enthusiast work, I'll be using my 12mm Zeiss Touit on the Fuji X-Pro1.

The lens has noticeable CA, but that's correctable in LR. It's bulky, not not so heavy as it looks. But wait, it also has heavy corner darkening/vignetting, usually correctable in LR.

Despite these obvious flaws, why did I buy it again and use it every work day since? Because of its class-leading resistance to distortion. I photograph real estate interiors, and I won't deliver work with barrel distortion. Especially, I hate trying to correct complex/moustache-style distortion such as the S 8-16 produces, with verticals rendered differently depending on their position in the frame. No global adjustments can fix that. The Sigma 12-24, however, needs only a little LR correction, usually less than -5%. Sometimes even a little pincushion distortion appears, which suggests how closely the design aims for the perfect level. When I face dozens of images to process at the end of a long day, this lens saves me many minutes per day.

It's certainly a pity that the new Sigma Art 12-24 isn't meant for us, but I wouldn't pay four figures for it anyway.

Registered: March, 2012
Lens Review Date: April 7, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $600.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: No vignetting, negligible distortion/aberration
Cons: Front element, inability to take filters

This was one of the first lenses that I bought when I got into Pentax, blame it not on "lens lust" but the ever elusive "Pentax FF" lust. I figured this would be one hell of a lens on a Pentax FF. Unfortunately I am still left figuring :-P

I own the non-HSM version. As with all Sigma EX lenses, the overall build quality is excellent. The rings are well damped and have smooth rotation. Where this lens really shines is the lack of aberrations and vignetting. Sharpness is great, though not outstanding. On my K-5, resolution of 'detail' is better than the most consumer grade/third party lenses.

With an aperture range of 4.5-5.6, the lens is far from being 'fast' (a major gripe) but the need for a fast lens is less in landscape photography, and since most of my shooting is done stopped down, it doesnt appear to be a significant flaw. Also the SR in Pentax gives you at least 1.5 stops of advantage so its effectively like using a f/2.8 lens on Nikon/Canon cameras. Further I notice that the f/4.5 aperture is available right up to the focal length of 17mm. Since I use the lens primarily in this range, it effectively behaves as a 12-17mm f/4.5 lens for me.

The biggest 'con' and perhaps the only one would therefore be the protruding front element and the resultant susceptibility to flare. I notice that even when there a light source placed on the sides, "purple streaks" start to appear on photos. This necessitates the use of filters but the lens wont take any. Filters can only be mounted using clamps or a bit of engineering but it makes the setup really conspicous. Probably the best workaround is to mount a filter on the ring used to stick the front lens cap and use the lens between 14mm onwards since this ruse leads to vignetting between 12-14mm.

Overall I'd say this is a fantastic lens. Highly recommended.

Location: near Berlin
Lens Review Date: January 24, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $350.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp, nearly no CAs, very low vignetting, fast AF, build as solid as a rock
Cons: a bit heavy, no filters usable, slow aperture

This lens is maybe not as wide as most 10-20 or the 8-16 but it's very well. I love the fact that this lens shows nearly no vignetting and is sharp from wide open. Although it is not as fast (aperture) as some other lenses, but what do you need that for when taking photos with such a lens. So, also Bokeh is not that important. What I love most is the handling. It fits perfectly to my K-5 and to my hands. The fast AF is also nice to have. I don't miss any HSM The only thing I don't like is the front element. It's impossible to use filters.

Compared to lenses I formerly used (Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Pentax 15/4) this is my favourite!

Registered: May, 2009
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina

Lens Review Date: February 12, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $485.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, Fast-focusing, Good build quality
Cons: Heavy, Huge front element that precludes filters

The picture listed is actually the older, non-HSM version, which is also the version I have. The barrel is marked 12-24mm 1:4.5-5.6 DG with EX lower on the barrel.

This is a chunky, well-built lens. It is fairly large and has a permanently attached hood that prevents the use of filters. There is a cludgy way to take the cap apart and use it to mount filters, but the vignettes heavily so this really isn't an option for me.

This lens is crazy sharp at all apertures and focal lengths. There is little or no distortion, which is very nice in a lens with this focal length, especially for a zoom.

This is a full frame lens and mounts nicely to older Pentax film bodies, where it is CRAZY wide.

Look out for flare and contrast problems when stray light hits the front element. With these focal lengths it can be tricky to keep bright light sources out of the frame. In fact, at 12mm, it can be tricky to keep your shoes out of the frame...

Very nice lens, and if it were a tad lighter I would take it everywhere. 24mm on the long end (36mm equivalent on APS-C) makes it useful reasonable to keep on the body at all times, since you can still take 'normal' pictures.

Registered: February, 2009
Location: egypt
Lens Review Date: March 13, 2009 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: well built,sharp
Cons: heavy

ITS MY BEST LENS UNTILL NOW,SHARPEN,FANTASTIC COLORS.

Registered: February, 2008
Location: Paris
Lens Review Date: August 28, 2008 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $450.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Built, very low barel distortion considering the focal lengt, the widest FF lens you can find
Cons: Impossible to use filters, slow.

I was looking for something very wide for my GX-10 but I wanted to have something that could be used on a film body (which I still don't own) so my choice went to this lens.
I already had another Sigma EX so i felt pretty confident. I am not disappointed.
Some may consider it slow, but for the use I have of it, it is not a problem. The built in very good. The front element sticks out so you can't use filters.
The pictures are reasonably sharp wide open, and good stopped down. There no vigneting at any focal length and any aperture.
To me the best surprise was the barrel distortion. It is VERY well controled at all focal lengths.
Here is a sample at 14mm f9:

And this is at 19mm f9:

If i gave this lens an 8 only it is because of the front element which flares quite a bit and prevents you from using filters, and because I am used to lenses that have slightly better contrast and colors. But overall, I am very happy with my investment.

Registered: July, 2008
Location: london, UK
Lens Review Date: July 9, 2008 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: wide and full frame capable
Cons: using filters

You have two choices with Sigma, the 10-20 digital only or the 12-24 full frame. The latter is a big bugeye lump of glass but i'm very happy with it. The only downside is you cant use filters at the wide end. I have used it as true 12mm on a film body and the results seem fine to my non expert eye and very interesting photographically.

Moderator Emeritus

Registered: May, 2007
Location: Edmonton Alberta, Canada
Lens Review Date: March 15, 2008 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $600.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp Well built great IQ
Cons: Some barrel distortion odd hood

This is a great overall lens. It's full frame which I felt was an advantage on the Pentax version. There's no vignetting with this lens because of that. Also has the aperture ring as well. Slight barrel distortions which are easily corrected in PP. Normal and to be expected in an ultra wide lens. A little slow but all these lenses in this range are. Super solid build and a bit heavy and large.

Only complaint is the hood idea. Similar to the Pentax 31mm. Hood is fixed and filters can be used with a collar that is provided but only at about 16mm to 24mm. Wider than that there is some corner vignetting. Should have had a way to remove the hood and add a filter collar that would cover the entire FOV. The design is partly due to the front element that curves outward.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:39 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!