Third-Party Pentax Lenses - Reviews and Database » Sigma Lenses » Legacy Zoom Lenses
Sigma 15-30mm F3.5-4.5 EX DG Review RSS Feed

7.7
11 40,592 Sat July 2, 2016

Weight: 615g / 21.8 oz.
Length: 132.5mm/5.1 in.
Filter Diameter: NA
Min. Focus: 30cm / 11.8 in.
Max. Magnification: 1:6
Optical Construction: 17 Elements in 13 Groups
Autofocus: Yes, screwdrive
Mount Type:

Add Review of Sigma 15-30mm F3.5-4.5 EX DG
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-11 of 11

Registered: January, 2009
Location: Springe

Lens Review Date: July 2, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $260.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: IQ, AF/MF clutch, FF ready
Cons: big (but not very heavy), difficult to use filters
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: K3    Autofocus: 9

I wanted a lens with better IQ than the DA 4/16-45 and found this lens for a very good price.
The build quality is good (feels much more solid than the 16-45) and IQ on an APSC body is excellent.
I don't have a FF body (yet) and use it with a K3

The MF/AF clutch works well and is a nice feature.

Registered: February, 2010
Location: Adelaide, SA

Lens Review Date: October 20, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $350.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, well built, great contrast and IQ
Cons: Large(ish) and a weak older Sigma finish.
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: K7    Autofocus: 9

This lens is way underrated here, given there are no Full Frame ultra-wide offerings of comparable image quality for Pentax - this just before the FF model comes along.

Used it on my old film camera (with slide film) as well as on the DSLR if I wanted image quality better than the Sigma 10-20 could cope with.

It's a big lens for Pentax mount, but smaller than tons of Canon/Nikon lenses but doesnt weigh much as it looks like it would.

Registered: July, 2009
Location: Minnesota
Lens Review Date: April 9, 2015 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: None indicated | Rating: 5

Pros: Solid build, full frame
Cons: Poor coloration, work against the light, corner sharpness, size
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 6    Value: 5    Camera Used: *istD    Autofocus: 6

The biggest problem is coloration, especially in dawn and dusk hours of key landscape shooting. The lens will shift greens to red in warm light - and RAW converters won't fully compensate for the shift. The size is unyieldy, although the weight isn't bad. The lens clearly was designed for film, and might be better full frame on film - although corners are weak even on crop sensor. Newer UWA zoom designs have far eclipsed this model. Despite its marginal build, the Pentax 16-45 is a far better lens for less money.

Community Manager

Registered: March, 2007
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland

Lens Review Date: April 9, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $400.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, versatile ultra-wide angle range
Cons: large size (but not really the weight), cannot use filters without vignetting on a FF camera (not an issue on APS-C)
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10

This is a fine EX ultra-wide lens.
It ticks all the boxes for a FF compatible UWA.
Sharp, bright and colourful in rendition.
Everything said above indicates my sentiment on this lens, and it is a workhorse.
Definitely a lens to last a lifetime, as its build and IQ is exemplary for its range.
The size can appear daunting but the weight of it easily balances on dSLRs.
A brilliant lens.

Location: Cirebon

Lens Review Date: March 2, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Build quality, Dual Focus, Nice Color, Minimal distortion
Cons: Little bit noisy, Vignette if using filter, Flare control
Sharpness: 7    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 5    Handling: 6    Value: 10

I've got this lens with new old stock condition (feel so lucky). Build quality very good yes of course cause this high grade lens from Sigma and have apperture ring.

Negative things from this lens i can't complaint cause i've got this lens with very low priced.

Registered: February, 2011

Lens Review Date: March 29, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $310.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build, feel, sharpness, wide
Cons: Big, causes shadow with bulit-in flash
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10

This is not just a lens, it is really a LENS! You feel like a pro just holding it. It balances well.

Images are sharp, not too distorted even wide. I do not mind the front lens since I don't use filters. They can be attached but would be huge.Or then one could use gelatine filters in the rear. I haven't noticed flare even if I have taken pics on a sunny day with sun ray reflections from snow.

Got mine in mint condition and find it a bargain for the price. Attached most of the time.
A small draw back is that the large lens creates a circular shadow if you try to use the built-in flash when focusing close.

This lens is quite uncommon in K-mount.

Registered: December, 2009
Location: East Yorkshire

Lens Review Date: March 28, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $520.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp, excellent build quality, very easy to use in manual mode.
Cons: Heavy.

This is a super lens. The results I have got from this lens have been excellent at all focal lengths. I was concerned that I could not use filters at the front of the lens very easily and that the front element is unprotected, but this proved unfounded.
The build and finish on this lens is superb. My lens is 6 years old now and still feels like new and the crackled finish seems to repel scratches.
Clever lens hood that has a separate sleeve for the fixed hood that really helps cut down flair used with a digital camera.

Registered: October, 2009
Location: ita/swiss

Lens Review Date: March 23, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $530.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharpness, building unique, fun
Cons: big

was very surprised, the results made with this Sigma.
The first two photos taken at 640Iso, a plant flowers, are beautiful, color and definition.
I was lucky, because this sigma is very difficult to find, is very rare.
Then double luck, mine is good he is lucky, is not one of those sigma failed.

Compared to the 10-20 is really enormous, it is heavy, but very solid, it satisfies me, because I love the big lenses and sturdy.
before you take it I read some things on the internet, and I must say, that really has an unusual construction.
Who knows what they drank the engineers to build ..... But the result is really good.

@15mm, distorts a little, but you've only known the edges, if there are buildings on either side, or plants, otherwise you will not notice much.

Registered: March, 2008
Location: N. Calif

Lens Review Date: February 22, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $475.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very good IQ
Cons: Heavy

This is one great lens. I wanted something wider than the 18mm (I own a DA 18-250). Works well in tight spaces.

Its extremely well built and sturdy. Should last for a long time.

Moderator

Registered: June, 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country

Lens Review Date: February 6, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Ballance and easy to operate in MF mode
Cons: Its Big

This lens is built and operates similar to its sibling the 20-40mm f2.8. It easy very easy to m.f. and is almost as convenient as Pentax's quick shift system. The distortion is minimal at the wide end and the color rendition is good. The only negative is the size, its big. However, it balances well on the K20d and K200d. The other really good think is it is FF and I can use it on my MZ-3. I found that this lens excels outside.

Note: No price is listed because I traded my 20-40mm f2.8 for after getting the DA 21mm ltd.

Edit: Some sample images

Registered: July, 2008
Location: Czech Republic

Lens Review Date: November 15, 2009 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $550.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp, well built, nice durable surface
Cons: might be heavy for some

After I got the 24-70/2.8 I missed a wider lens. As the Pentax 12-24/4 and Pentax 14/2.8 were both out of my reach at the time, I came across this one.

Got it used for the equivalent of $550 from a bloke living just about 40 miles North from me, so I did try both my K10D and a roll of film on it before I got it.
And I LOVE it ever since
As you can see on the attached pictures, there is a metal ring siting on the metal hood. The ring has 82mm filter thread and holds the lens cap.

This ring is for digital only, and on 15mm setting there is vignetting even when a slim filter is used. I've got B&W slim polarizer and the amount of vignetting with it can be seen here: http://i737.photobucket.com/albums/xx17/kolista2/Machines/Lenses/Sigma_15-30_d.jpg
For this reason, for digital shooting the ring is OK only without a filter attached. However, when I feel like it, I use filter anyway and then crop the cornes off.

On film, the metal ring has to be taken off and filters can be used at the mount side in a slot provided for that purpose. As I don't have such a filter, I couldn't try this.

Zoom and focus rings are both damped a bit, just enough to feel nice in my hand.

IQ at 15mm is perfect (well for me anyway, don't search for MTF curves here) and I think it remains very good for the whole range.
All in all, if you shoot film as well as chip this lens will not let you down. If I was only a digital guy, I would look for a zoom starting at 10mm or Pentax 12-24/4 if I could afford one.

Couple pics can be seen here:
2 film shots

2 digital shots
Add Review of Sigma 15-30mm F3.5-4.5 EX DG

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:40 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!