Third-Party Pentax Lenses - Reviews and Database » Sigma Lenses » Current Zoom Lenses
Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC HSM Review RSS Feed

42 157,629 Mon March 18, 2019

Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC HSM

This compact and fast (F2.8) zoom is designed for APS-C size sensors. The lens†is equipped with Sigma's Hyper-Sonic Motor (HSM) which provides for fast and quiet autofocusing. The lens has no provision for screw-drive autofocus. The lens focuses down to 11" (28cm).

This lens is identical to the†earlier Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM except for the removal of in-lens optical stabilization.

KAF3
AF (in-lens motor)
HSM

APS-C: 82.6-33.2 ° / 72.4-27.9 °
Multi-coated
AF/MF Switch
84x91 mm (3.3x3.6 in.)
2011 to present (in production)
$564 USD at launch

Buy Lens: Buy the Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC HSM
In-Depth Review: Read our Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC HSM in-depth review!
Price: $594
Mount Type: Pentax KAF3 (in-lens AF only)

Add Review of Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC HSM Buy the Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC HSM
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 42

Registered: April, 2018
Location: Tartu
Lens Review Date: March 18, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $250.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, build quality, quiet AF
Cons: no weather sealing; manual focus might be tricky
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K3

It's well built, feels like a premium lens.
The AF is fast, accurate and almost soundless.
IQ is great and it's sharp.
Manual focus might be tricky due to short focus ring rotation distance.

I like this lens more than the Tamron 17-50.

Registered: July, 2018
Lens Review Date: August 25, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $405.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: build quality, overall performance
Cons: problems with compatibility in some case, huge filter size, weight

I bought them as kit replacement. I shot with them about 1000 photos. I don't have luck. With K200D I had back focus and with K3 II I was problem with correct sharpening. It was not what I expected. Sometimes my camera place sharpeness further or nearer than I was expected. With 77 limited and 100 WR from Pentax I don't have this issue. After sold my buyer was happy and he don't have any problem. I see tested images from him and it was all rights.

Weight is the most noticable cons of the lens. It is a huge. In compatition with 77 limited or my macro 100WR lens it is make difference. After longer use you can feel weight. Big plus is excellent AF. It was working fast and it is the most silence. When screw driver in 77 make noticable noise you can take photos without making attention to yourselfs.

I use them for wide angle "macro". With Live View it was pleasure. Longer end it was quite nice for portrait. 2.8 stop is fully usefull. Only 77 limited is more sharpness. In comparision to standard kit II version is only better, but I want quick shift on this zoom to make them more operatable.

Switches small, not enought useful for me. I don't use it often. If you can buy in shop this model working well with you camera is good offer for this price. You should be aware, because some models has front or backfocus problem. Sometimes is not easy to correct via service. It is why I get them 7/10.

Registered: January, 2017

Lens Review Date: May 31, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $220.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great sharpness, focus, super in low light, versatility
Cons: A bit heavy, not WR
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-S2

I have had this lens for over a year, purchased used, and feel comfortable posting a recommendation here after hundreds of shots. It is my "go-to" lens, paired with a K-S2 for general travel and street-photography, including low-light sunrise and sunset landscapes up to the 50mm range, but particularly when I need a bit of width . The more I have used it, the more I have appreciated its sharpness, versatility, and handling.

Photo's are sharp, end-to-end; colors are excellent. As a non-pro enthusiast, for the money I get so close to what I would consider near-pro output that I could not be more pleased. This seems fairly consistent with the feedback from other posts here. Wish it were WR but can't have it all--with a rain hood have used on many hikes, wet and dusty conditions--no problems.

A great upgrade and highly recommended!

Registered: February, 2010
Location: California

Lens Review Date: February 26, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharpness, colors, fast, overall value
Cons: Heavy, a bit bulky
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K3ii

This is a great lens to replace the kit. Almost the same focal lengths but with a constant f2.8, much better build quality and much better photo quality.

Sharpness: 10 - This lens is extremely sharp across the entire focal range.

Aberrations: 9 - I cannot notice any aberrations with my naked eye. When zooming in during post-processing I can notice a tiny bit so it's not prefect but close.

Bokeh; 9 - Beautiful and smooth bokeh. Since this is a fast lens it is easy to achieve the effect and looks very good.

Autofocus: 9 - Smooth and fast focusing. Pentax is known for being a bit behind on the AF curve so the 9 rating is relative to the camera. Could the focusing be faster
and a bit more smooth, sure, but this lens AF is just as good as most any other lens on my K3ii.

Handling: 10 - The build quality is very sturdy and feels very well build when holding it. It is a bit on the bulky side which is most noticeable when changing out this lens.

Value: 10 - Overall this is a great lens that can easily be found for under $400 which I think makes it an amazing value.

Registered: August, 2015
Location: Istanbul

Lens Review Date: February 15, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $350.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent sharpness
Cons: bit heavy, 77mm
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 9    New or Used: New    Camera Used: Pentax K-5

Trees by Yemen Ozan GŁndoğan, on Flickr

Cyclops by Yemen Ozan GŁndoğan, on Flickr

Street Views by Yemen Ozan GŁndoğan, on Flickr

Jesus by Yemen Ozan GŁndoğan, on Flickr

Location: Madrid, Spain

Lens Review Date: February 2, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $225.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Well built, quiet auto focus, sharp in the centre from f/2.8, great colours and contrast
Cons: Zooms the wrong way, corners never really sharp, occasional flare, heavy, large 77mm filter size
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 9    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K3

I've owned the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 lens for quite a few years and it's my only other experience with a fast standard zoom on digital. I've always been pretty happy with the Tamron but longed for something better built and with quiet AF, so when I saw a copy of this Sigma for sale locally at a reasonable price I had to try it out and decided to buy. I prefer primes to zooms but a fast standard zoom is just so useful a lens to have that it's something I'd never want to be without.

I haven't owned the lens for long but used it a bit around christmas and on a recent trip to Italy it was my main lens, used 90% of the time, which always helps to get to know a new lens.

The lens is very well built. Compared to the Tamron, it's more solid (significantly bigger & heavier too) but the difference in build quality is clear, and that's something I appreciate. Unless you really need to minimise size and weight in such a lens, I'd say it's worth it to go for the Sigma.

Sharpness is excellent in the centre at all apertures, even wide open. At the corners you need to stop down to f/8 (or maybe even f/11) to get best results, though they never reach the sharpness levels of the centre, at least at the widest focal lengths. I may be being picky here - I've pixel-peeped the corners to check how they are but at normal display sizes they are absolutely nothing to worry about.

What has really impressed me with this lens' optical capabilities are the rich colours and contrast that photos have - they're probably as good as those from the DA limited (or other high quality modern primes). Blues especially seem to come out very well.

I've seen occasional flare even when using the hood but I had read about that before buying and it's not as bad as I had been expecting from the comments I've read. I've seen much, much worse on other lenses and overall I'd say it does pretty well in this regard.

The almost silent auto focus really is nice to have. In terms of accuracy I'd say it's slightly better than the Tamron, but only very slightly. It has the occasional slight mis-focus but that happens with all my lenses and I attribute it to the camera. The quiet AF is a luxury - nice to have but with no effect on the photos. This is my only K-mount lens with an inbuilt lens motor.

Overall, I'd say I'm very happy with the lens. It could be sharper in the corners, it could be a bit more resistant to flare and if it zoomed in the same direction as all my other lenses then that would be great, but these are relatively minor complaints. Compared to the Tamron I'd say it's optically on the same level. The Tamron might even have a slight edge with better sharpness in the corners and better flare resistance. In other aspects the Sigma is better - the AF motor, slightly more accurate AF, a slight advantage in colour and contrast, much better build quality. However, the size and weight differences are considerable and for those who like their equipment to be light, the Sigma may not be for you.

Update: I should mention that I have had a lot of problems with erratic exposure using this lens - either over or under exposure. On my trip to Italy I ended up using five-shot bracketing and deleting the four excess photos after choosing the best exposed one. I need to play around with some other exposure modes to see if the lens works better with them, but I'd recommend bracketing or using manual exposure and always shooting RAW when using this lens.

This really is a superb all-round lens which is very nearly as close to perfect for general use as it's possible to get.

I'll finish off with some sample images which I hope convey the results that this lens can achieve. The first three images were taken wide open.

Venice

ITLY3455b

ITLY3593a

Registered: September, 2006
Location: Mississippi, USA
Lens Review Date: January 1, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $400.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Very Good Optics, constant f2.8, nice colors
Cons: Cheap lens cap
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-S2

Really like this lens. Good walk around, quiet focus, Great colors.

It went back to Sigma for repair to AF, came back good as new. They were vague on repair but I suspect part came loose inside. Erratic focus with no adjustment.

Only complaint......Cheapest lens cap I've ever seen.

Registered: March, 2011
Location: Michigan
Lens Review Date: October 23, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp images, speed (f/2.8), good ergonomics
Cons: About the only is mounting the lens hood on to the lens for storage

This is my "go-to" lens for my K-5. Worth every penny paid. One of my very best lenses. For most travel ventures I take this lens along with the DA*50-135mm f/2.8 along with my Tamron 1.4x TC and I am covered for most anything I photograph.

Registered: July, 2007
Location: Queens, New York
Lens Review Date: October 18, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $399.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp, silent and accurate autofocus
Cons: Heavy
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 7    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-01, K-50

I was very satisfied with my Pentax DA16-45, but started thinking that having a similar range zoom with an f2.8 aperture would help with some indoor shots, so I began looking around, and noticed this Sigma.

This lens is noticeably sharper than the Pentax to the point that you have to soften almost every shot in Lightroom or other post processing software. The contrast is also higher than the Pentax, and the colors are not Pentax colors.

Not really something to complain about, but you should be aware of this before buying this lens.

On the pro side, the auto focus is accurate and silent, this lens' best virtue.

On the con side, it is heavy.

I think it is an excellent all-around, walk-around lens, because of its range and the silent auto focus.

I recommend this lens highly.

Mike Bokeh

Registered: July, 2014
Location: Nagoya

Lens Review Date: November 6, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $300.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Image quality, silent focusing, fast, good enough wide open
Cons: None for the price
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 5    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 9    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-S2

Great lens. Replaced my 15mm Limited (17 has been wide enough for my needs in the end) and my 18-50 in one go. Sharp, silent and accurate focusing (needed -4 adjustment on K-S2 but spot on since then), nice rendering including at f2.8, plastic but solidly built - sometimes a little heavy - and feels like a quality product. Standard petal hood does its job. A little coma and some fringing at the wide end but that is easy to remove.
The f2.8 on this lens is for convenience and basic background separation - the bokeh on this lens is actually fairly unsatisfying and probably this lens' weakest point.

17mm f5.6

Registered: February, 2011
Location: Newport, South Wales
Lens Review Date: September 8, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $360.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Amazing value and great results
Cons: Fairly heavy
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-5 - K-3II

My DA 16-45mm F4 was my 'go to' lens as it is a particularly good example but this is in another league.

Lens Review Date: July 14, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $400.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp from 2.8, Nice colours and contrast, quiet AF
Cons:
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 7    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 9    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-5

Excellent lens.

Registered: October, 2015
Location: Texas
Lens Review Date: June 17, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $350.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, Accurate Color Reproduction, Fast Aperture (For A Zoom)
Cons: Big, Heavy, bokeh is a bit busy.
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 8    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-3

This was my first "High End" lens. Its an amazing lens at that. The colors it produces are very accurate and lend themselves well to post processing either in camera or later with Photoshop or similar. It focuses fast and is very quiet, it does not hunt much if at all.

It is a big heavy lens. Its not a lens that I would consider a good walk around lens just due to the size and weight. However, when I know that I need to get the shot and won't have time for trial and error, or I have the opportunity to stage the shot properly prior to taking the picture this is my go to lens.

I personally feel the bokeh is a bit busy, however, its not horrible by any stretch, and hasn't caused me to "miss" a shot yet.

Overall this is a stellar lens and I highly recommend it.

Registered: June, 2011
Location: Gotland
Lens Review Date: March 10, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Good all-around performer
Cons: Size and weight
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K3II

A very good all-around lens. 17 mm gives extra wide coverage. 2,8 all the way is quite bright. Feels well built. Very good value for money.

Not weather sealed. The front lens seems to attract more dust than usually.

I shoot RAW and use the auto-correction in Photoshop CS6. Makes no big change but makes straight lines straight.

I have used the Sigma 18-50 2,8 for the last decade and lately on he K5. I felt that combination was good enough for me and quite handy. Then the K5 broke down and i upgraded. The K3II is a wee bit bigger than the K5 and a bit heavier. The Sigma 17-50 is bigger and heavier than the 18-50. Together, I find that the combination feels substantially bigger and heavier to lug around and looks less discreet. The extra wide angle is a benefit and the technical picture quality has improved, a plus when it comes to rotating and cropping a shot.

All in all, this is now my standard set-up. A technical improvement but at substantial cost in size and lack of discretion.

Registered: May, 2015
Location: Osaka
Lens Review Date: December 25, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $250.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp from 2.8, Nice colours and contrast, quiet AF
Cons: Coma at 17mm, big and heavy
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 8    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: Pentax K30

This is a fantastic quality lens for the price.

The good stuff:
  • Picture quality is very good, it beats my Pentax DA21 for IQ and sharpness.
  • It gives great results. Surprisingly good at 2.8 even at 17mm but especially good at 50mm. Best at 5.6.
  • Auto focus is quiet and accurate.
  • Very contrasty

The bad stuff
  • It is big and heavy. If you are used to primes or the lighter Pentax lenses you are going to notice it. I use mine for travel so it can be a burden, but some people like the weight as a stabilizer.
  • Mine is a lose fit on my K30; there is a little play at the joint.
  • There is noticeable coma at 17mm at the edge of the frame (only noticeable when you shoot stars or similar)

Overeall a great lens that I would highly recommend for the price. However, it is big and heavy which means I often end up leaving it at home.

First is 17mm, F8, iso100, 0.5secs

Second sample taken at 17mm f2.8, iso1600, 15secs . Edge crop showing coma.

[I
MG]https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/89785-alnjpn/albums/9740-japan/picture95709.jpg[/IMG]

Add Review of Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC HSM Buy the Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC HSM

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:07 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!