Third-Party Pentax Lenses - Reviews and Database » Sigma Lenses » Legacy Zoom Lenses
Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Review RSS Feed

8 57,339 Mon April 18, 2016

Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM

The Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 is a high-performance standard zoom lens. In our in-depth review (see seal below), we found it to outperform the Pentax DA* 16-50mm.

Weight: 565g (19.9oz)
Filter diameter: 77mm
Dimensions (WxL): 83.5mm x 91.8mm (3.3in x 3.6in)
Min. focus: 28cm (11in)
Max. magnification: 1:5
Angle of view: 72.4 - 27.9
Max aperture: F2.8
Min aperture: F22
Optical Construction: 17elements in 13 groups
Aperture blades: 7
Buy Lens: Buy the Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM
In-Depth Review: Read our Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM in-depth review!
Price: $669
Mount Type:

Add Review of Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Buy the Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-8 of 8

Registered: December, 2013

Lens Review Date: April 18, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $650.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: hsm, silent and fast focus, accurate focus, sharpness wide open
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: k-5, k-7    Autofocus: 10

After trying out different lenses 17-50 and 28-75 type of pentax, tamron, tokina lenses, I eventually had a chance to have this lens. I think I ve found my standart zoom lens with constant aperture. Now they've been a pair with my sigma 70-200 HSM II which I already had before getting this lens.

It has a very silent af and rarerly hunt. I did not have any ff or bf problem which I think is a body problem not lens actually. Sharpness is very satisfactory, I am saying this after trying and testing many lenses. Bokeh is nice especially at 50mm, I get very nice blurry backgrounds. Yes it is big and heavy with 77mm filter diameter, but it makes a great match with a gripped body. It becomes nice and stable. Image stabilisation comes as a bonus of which any other k mount lenses do not have, and it works perfectly.

This lens is a pro quality lens, yes it may be a little expensive, but quallity can never be cheap right? Highly recommended, cheers

Registered: September, 2010

Lens Review Date: May 17, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, contrast, no BF/FF
Cons: Problems with overexposure

Overall, I do love this lens. It's tack sharp, fast and silent.It rests on my K-5 most of the time. One may say that it is too big, but actually it fits nicely gripped K-5 and they make a great combination, which is easy to handle.
I haven't experienced any FF/BF, although it seems to be quite frequent with this Sigma (at least I read so).
However... There is a major problem with overexposure, both with and without flash. It permanently tends to overexpose pictures, which are taken inside (I have to turn EV about -1 or sometimes more). Apparently it isn't the case outside... I don't know, mabe I do smth wrong, but it's the first lens, that has made me such a problem ever. I've tested all of my lenses in the same conditions, and only Sigma had the problem.
To sum up - despite the problem with overexposure, I'd recommend it to anyone. It may be a little pricey, but it's a perfect alternative for DA* 16-50.

Registered: May, 2011

Lens Review Date: March 20, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $450.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp, good construction, ultrasonic autofocus, stabilized
Cons: autofocus, price

Very good lens, sharp even at f2.8. Good construction, stabilization on the lens is slightly better than the one on the camera, autofocus is usually fast (but often with some "hesitation" in keeping the point).

The out-of.camera jpegs are not "perfect" (there is a little yellowish dominant), but raw files well processed are astonishing.

The only cons I noticed with my k7 is related to autofocus.
I don't know why, but there is a front focus increasing with charge level in the battery decreasing.
Furthermore, recently the front focus at 100% charged battery passed from +1 to +7, and after few days to +3/+4 (it's just in the middle). All measurements made under the sun light.
At the end, check every time F/B focus on a k7 is not long/frustrating, but this is a cons.

Registered: January, 2007
Location: Warsaw
Lens Review Date: February 21, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $700.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: solid construction, good sharpness and contrast
Cons: large filter size

My previous primay AF zoom was Tamron 28-75/2.8. Great lens but in many cases I was forced to take Pentax 12-24 with me. For situation with just one lens or two lenses I decided to buy Sigma 17-50. When I want to have minimalistic setup I take this lens with Sigma 70-200/2.8. Both have 72mm filter.

Lens is EX type so it means very good construction. I do not see big advantage of OS in this lens. It is rather dissadvantage because I need to remember to switch on/off body SR. I do not see any difference between pentax SR and Sigma OS.

Lens is sharp enough wide open. Coating is good too.

Overall my score is 8,5.

Good for landscapes

and for action

some samples are in my pbase gallery.

Registered: October, 2011
Lens Review Date: November 21, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, contrast,color
Cons: Poor hood statement

Very good center sharpness.
I really like it,

Location: Melbourne

Lens Review Date: October 9, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $750.00 | Rating: 5

Pros: Sharpness, contrast
Cons: Autofocus

Optically this lens is fantastic! Sharpness is phenomenal for a zoom and is there (at least in the centre) right from f2.8. Flair resistance was excellent as was contrast.

I'm not sure if I got a bad copy of this lens but the autofocus performance on my K7 was appalling. In good light it would regularly take 2 or 3 tries to get it to focus and in poor light it would refuse to focus at all, often just stopping completely out of focus. Unfortunatly after 3 trips to CR Kennedy here in Melbourne to have the problem seen to they told me that it was just how the lens was and that there was nothing wrong with the lens.

I eventually ended up selling the Sigma and buying a FA* 28-70mm f2.8

I would say that in most respects Sigma is a better lens than the FA*. Its sharper, has better contrast, less CA, is a bit wider at the short end of the zoom range, costs less, the front element does not rotate and the HSM is nice and quiet but the auto focus performance was a real let down and the ridiculously short throw of the focus ring made accurate manual focusing irritating at best.

Registered: March, 2011
Location: Houston, Texas

Lens Review Date: April 6, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $669.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: fast auto focus, quiet auto focus, image stabilization, good center sharpness
Cons: big, heavy, slight front focus, pricey

A good performer at all focal lengths and apertures in conjunction with the K-5. The Sigma was very sharp in the center from 17 to 50 and from F2.8 to 8. My sample had a slight front focus though, which can be adjusted in the K-5.

The auto focus motor is very fast and quiet. Tested it head to head with the Tamron 17-50, and the Tamron sounded like a dentist's drill. The Tamron missed the focus a bit more than the Sigma too. The Sigma also performed admirably in live view auto focus.

The in-lens image stabilization works quite well. IMO, it is better than Pentax's in-body stabilization.

Biggest drawbacks of the Sigma are the size and weight. Lowering the price by at least a $100 make it more worthwhile too.

Location: New York
Lens Review Date: December 11, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $669.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast and Sharp
Cons: Small zoom range

Best mid range zoom lens. Very sharp with good color rendering. Super sharp from 20mm to 40mm range. Very nice bokeh from 35mm @2.8. Looks faster AF than any SWD lens. OS works great (3-4 stops). Must disable stabilization on camera first.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:45 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!