Third-Party Pentax Lenses - Reviews and Database » Sigma Lenses » Current Zoom Lenses
Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro HSM Review RSS Feed

Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro HSM

7.2
 7.3
17 54,515 Thu December 1, 2016
Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro HSM

The Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro HSM succeeds the Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM lens and featured improved optics (including a macro function) as well as a lighter barrel incorporating TSC, which is not as prone to expansion due to temperature as other lenses.

This lens features silent HSM autofocus and has a minimum focusing distance of 13.7 inches (35 centimeters).

This lens will ship in June for Canon and Nikon, and will also be available in the Pentax mount shortly thereafter at an MSRP of $499.

Weight: 16.6 oz
Length: 3.5 inches
Diameter: 2.9 inches
Autofocus: Silent HSM
Image circle: APS-C
Buy Lens: Buy the Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro HSM
Price: $549
Mount Type:

Add Review of Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro HSM Buy the Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro HSM
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 17

Registered: October, 2014
Location: Washington
Lens Review Date: December 1, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $200.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: convenience
Cons: edges not sharp, vignetting and CA
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K3

The center sharpness is fine but falls off on the edges. Overall I am quite happy with the lens. It will probably end up being my walk around lens on my K3, but the 35-105A will stay on my K5.

Registered: May, 2010
Lens Review Date: May 30, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $168.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Compact, quiet and fast focus
Cons: Not sharp except at f8
New or Used: New

I purchased this lens in "excellent" condition from KEH. It arrived promptly and does look excellent. My most used lens for the last 10 years has been a Sigma 70-300APO DG. I love these lenses (I have two), but they are heavy, long and noisy when focusing. I was hoping to find something smaller, lighter and with greater range at the wide end, with comparable sharpness. This Sigma is all of the above, except the image quality is nowhere near as sharp. Even working with RAW, the images look fine when viewed and printed without cropping, but fall apart quickly with even a small crop. My walk-about camera is a Panasonic ZS-50, an excellent small sensor camera. The images from my k-x with this Sigma remind me of those from the Panasonic. I am told by an experienced Pentax user that my results are pretty typical of any super-zoom, I my investment is only $168, so I'll probably keep this lens, but I am disappointed.

I never gave up on this lens, and finally discovered that stopped down to f8 (maybe f5.6) it gives excellent results. This means this lens is useful only on bright sunny days, or at high ISO, low shutter speed, but still serves well as a walk around lens. For the price, a good deal.

Registered: June, 2014
Location: Somerset, UK
Lens Review Date: March 14, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $413.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Versatility
Cons:
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 5    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 8    Value: 9    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-3

I bought this as my first lens for the K-3. Recently I've wondered whether a different lens might be better?

The DXO results shown at dpreview show the following, which I'll put on a 'boilerplate' to get the best out of this lens (instead of staying at f/8 all the time)

Zoom Aperture MTF centre Sharp over

50 f/8 1500 2/3

80 f/8 1500 1/3

135 f/6.3 1400 1/3

250 f/8 1400 1/6

(f/11 is shown to be noticably worse)

Location: Southeastern Connecticut

Lens Review Date: February 1, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Very convenient, great range, good quality, affordable
Cons: For what it is, none

I should preface this by saying I haven't really spent much time analyzing the performance of this lens. I did, though, research the forum to compare it to the Pentax and Tamron "all in ones."

This is the lens I grab when I can only bring one or when I'd rather not traipse around with more expensive glass. For instance, I grab it for hikes in the woods with the family or maybe for a day at the beach.

I've been very pleased by its image quality and color rendition. While heavier than my old Pentax 50-200, it also has a good deal more range which means I've been able to sneak some great shots of unsuspecting brothers, nieces and nephews and some of our local shorebirds.

This lens is very good for what it is and for the purpose it serves. I would certainly recommend it if you need a good, convenient lens for travel or similar reasons.

Lens Review Date: October 13, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $400.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Fast,quiet autofocus,good range,decent sharpness.
Cons: Distortion,a bit slow.
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 6    Bokeh: 7    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 9    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-30

Ideal for travel with one lens,but a bit heavy .

Lens Review Date: September 20, 2014 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: $490.00 | Rating: 4

Pros: fast, quiet autofocus.
Cons: IQ, distortion, stiff zoom, exposure
Sharpness: 4    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 7    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 4    Value: 4    New or Used: New    Camera Used: Pentax K-m

I wanted to like this lens, I really did. It was expected to be a replacement for my Pentax DA 18-55 II, and DA 55-300.
I expected some trade off in quality, being a 'super-zoom', but found the results just too disappointing, and after three days sent it back for a refund. (It pays to buy from an official supplier!)

Problem1- IQ, sharpness - not so much the hard edges of objects, these could be quite well defined, it's more to do with micro contrast I think. Surfaces and textures just lacked detail, somehow didn't look 'real'. At the wide end, not quite as good as my 18-55 II (especially with the distortion factor mentioned below), and at the long end not a patch on my 55-300, which never fails to make me smile.

Problem 2 - pincushion distortion, which sets in at about 30mm, is really severe up to 50mm, then gradually improves again towards 250mm. It renders interiors and architectural shots useless, pretty much anything with rectangles, or parallel lines. I know, I can correct it in PP, but do I really want to have to go through every shot?

Problem 3 - stiff zoom ring - starts easy, stiffens up around 50mm then eases off again towards the long end. This makes it virtually impossible to go quickly from a wide shot to a long shot. What else is a super-zoom supposed to be for?

Finally, exposure - I found it overexposed more and more towards the long end - up to 1.5 stops. Again, how can I go quickly from one end to the other if I have to stop to make exposure compensation adjustments on the way?

On the plus side, the autofocus is fast and quiet, and there was no dreaded zoom creep!

I don't think I got a bad copy of the lens, I'm sure it was performing to its specification, and if all you want is a lens for holiday snaps you'll probably be quite happy. But if, like me, you want shots with a bit of 'wow' factor, you may be disappointed.

Registered: January, 2014
Lens Review Date: July 29, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $400.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Tremendous range, quick AF, built like a tank
Cons: A little heavy. f2.8 would have been nice
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-5IIs

This was the first new lens I bought for my K-5IIs. I used it as my "one lens" recently during a European trip. I was very happy to have this lens and, after four months of ownership, I'm even more pleased with it. If I could own only one lens, this would be it. In 35mm terms, a 27-375mm zoom is mind-boggling.

The lens is extremely rugged. The old Rokkor lenses from my 1970's Minolta SRT were nowhere near as durable. I think it may be due to the thermoplastic Sigma is using; it seems to absorb shock better.

Unlike others, I'm not experiencing much lens creep at all even without using the zoom lock.

If I could order a re-design of this lens, I'd ask for a shift in the range; something like 16-200 (24-300mm in 35mm terms) would make the lens even more useful for me. Maybe Sigma could come up with a front-of-lens add-on that would provide a .85x shift without hurting IQ too much. (And I'd put it right next to my unicorn.)

Anyway, I don't want to give the impression that I feel there's any real downside to this lens. Sigma has done a heck of a job and I think I got every penny's worth of value from it.

Registered: June, 2014
Lens Review Date: July 6, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 9

Pros:
Cons:
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-5, K-3

I bought this lens for my wife to use while traveling with my K-5. My own travel kit is a K-3 with an 18-135 and a 55-300.

But the Siggy's sharpness and overall usefulness is really quite good, and I find myself grabbing it for all-day hikes and the like.

It's a tad heavy, but certainly much lighter than the 18-135 plus 55-300. If I know I'm not going to need the extra reach of the 55-300, I'll take it along.

Registered: June, 2008
Location: Flyover America
Lens Review Date: April 5, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $350.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Versatile
Cons: Some zoom creep
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 7    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K5

I won't bore you with all the details - suffice to say it works and it works well.

Compact, light, good AF, silent, close focus, sharp enough, reasonable price etc.
Within the limitations of a super zoom it's a good glass at a good price - buy it.

I'd post a pic but I can't figure out how....

Registered: March, 2013
Location: Aberdeenshire
Lens Review Date: January 9, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Accurate, fast and silent AF. Good minimum focus dist
Cons: jerky manual focus
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 6    Bokeh: 7    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: New

Pro's

Great zoom range
Brilliant HSM
Really usable close focus distance
No zoom creep
Good center sharpness

Con's

Jerky manual focus
Softer ~200-250
AF/MF can be fiddly
No full time manual focus
Can over expose

I used this on a beach holiday and then of safari and the lens performed admirably. It did not suffer too much from the CA other people have mentioned. The AF was quick and near silent.

As I was able to get close to the animals on our safari I got some really sharp print worthy pictures. The shapness drops off towards the corners but if you don't print them too large then you wont notice.

I sold this lens when I got home and bought the 18-135 WR as (at home in N.E Scotland) I figured the WR would be more useful to me. I also didn't see too much gain between the 150-250 range in the Sigma so I didn't think I was losing anything by getting the Pentax.

I highly recommend this lens and would buy it again to use on holiday.

Location: Lometa, TX
Lens Review Date: August 30, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $399.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, fast focus great build zoom lock
Cons: minor barrel distortion no prob in PP
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New

I have many Sigma lenses in my bags, have only been disappointed with one I bought used which was a 28-300 I could not get good images with, bad copy or one in need of serious calibration. This lens is right up there with my 150-500 OS HSM lens, I love it. It has replaced my shorter zooms 18-55 WR, 55-200 DA and I could not be happier. Great reach and superb AF. I do notice slight barrel distortion but is easily removed with Elements 11. If you are looking for a Nice lens well worth the money I highly recommend this super zoom, for a walk around, you won't have to worry about getting dust on your sensor from lens changes.

Lens Review Date: June 9, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: It's ideal as a travellens. Very fast and accurate AF. It needs some postprocessing in the long end. Add some contrast and sharpening and it will shine. Better to shoot RAW than using jpeg diirectly from the camera. For daily use - perfect! And not to m
Cons: Some vignetting and CA, but postprocessing handle that.
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 7    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 9    New or Used: New

I have used this lens with my K5 and have shot about 1000 pictures with the lens up to now. I have found the lens to be ideal as a travellens. Lightweight, sharp and very accurate AF. It's possible of course that I have a very good copy, but anyway, I recommend it highly as a travellens. For more demanding use, I prefere of course my limited lenses.

Registered: March, 2011
Location: Newark, Delaware
Lens Review Date: May 8, 2013 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: $399.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Range, size, auto focus motor
Cons: Not sharp,ca, so-so bokeh
Sharpness: 6    Aberrations: 6    Bokeh: 5    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 8    New or Used: New

I have used this lens on both my K-5 and K-30

I really wanted to love this lens. I was hoping I could use it as travel substitute for my Pentax 18-135. I've shot over 1000 frames with this lens and I am very disappointed with the sharpness. My Pentax 18-135 is much sharper and has better overall image quality. This is my second copy of this lens. The first copy was so fuzzy I returned it for a replacement. I'm going to keep it for now and give it a few more chances.

Registered: April, 2012
Location: Sweden

Lens Review Date: April 27, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $600.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: AF, Reach, Sharpness
Cons: Wish it was faster
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: Used

Cons: CA sometimes especially when against brightness, but then most lenses would give CA for that matter. Also I wish it was a faster lens like a 5.6 or even faster.

Pros: Extremely precise AF and I have focused through a myraid of branches with spot focus, it grabs the subject quickly everytime, and without hunting. Also its a very quiet lens when focusing, hence suitable for taking to quieter rooms. Than there is its reach 18-250!!! The IQ is very sharp handheld though the colours and contrast sometimes need a little PP. Overall, I am really pleased with purchasing this lens and recommend it highly.

Registered: August, 2011
Location: South Florida

Lens Review Date: January 25, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $549.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp,great autofocus, good construction
Cons: Soft at 250 mm
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 6    Bokeh: 5    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 9    New or Used: New

I am a semi-pro who owns both Nikon and Pentax equipment. I prefer the Pentax (2 of them) outdoors because they are smaller and lighter. Anyway, I bought this lens for the Pentaxes after reading the reviews of the equivalent Pentax lens (18-270). The Sigma was slightly better rated and it was almost $300 cheaper. As any "super zoom" would go, it is a little soft at both ends, but if you want extreme sharpness all over you get a "prime" lens instead. Super zooms are intended as "walk about" or travel lenses where one wants to carry only one lens or not take the time to change lenses. That said, this lens was sharper than I expected, except at the extremes, and very well built. The outofocus is of the latest most advanced type (silent) and works great. I matched it against the Pentax 18-135 lens I already had and it was close in sharpness but the Pentax lens beat it in contrast and color. These were maximun resolution pictures at 100% enlargement, something you don't normally do. So yes, I am very pleased with the lens and now I can carry two Pentax cameras with different lenses without having to change them. Incidentally, I use a K-5 and a K-10, and occasionally do film in a XZ-L. I do mostly landscapes and fitness models, mosty all outdoors, so the "slowness" of super zooms does not affect me much as I live in South Florida. Hope this helps! This a GREAT forum for Pentax!!!!

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:45 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!