Third-Party Pentax Lenses - Reviews and Database » Sigma Lenses » Current Zoom Lenses
Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro HSM Review RSS Feed

Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro HSM

7.2
 7.3
17 57,173 Thu December 1, 2016
Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro HSM

The Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro HSM succeeds the Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM lens and featured improved optics (including a macro function) as well as a lighter barrel incorporating TSC, which is not as prone to expansion due to temperature as other lenses.

This lens features silent HSM autofocus and has a minimum focusing distance of 13.7 inches (35 centimeters).

This lens will ship in June for Canon and Nikon, and will also be available in the Pentax mount shortly thereafter at an MSRP of $499.

Weight: 16.6 oz
Length: 3.5 inches
Diameter: 2.9 inches
Autofocus: Silent HSM
Image circle: APS-C
Buy Lens: Buy the Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro HSM
Price: $549
Mount Type:

Add Review of Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro HSM Buy the Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro HSM
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 16-17 of 17

Registered: March, 2011
Location: Netherlands

Lens Review Date: January 21, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $598.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Small, light, sharp, fast HSM AF
Cons: Cushon distortion, a bit slow (3.5-6.3)
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 8    Value: 9    New or Used: New

This lens is surprisingly sharp for a superzoom, specially when used between aperture 8-11. It's also very compact (smaller than my 18-50 2.8!) It's very nice as a "traveling" lens, and performs very well for that purpose.
I cannot agree with the previous review about bad focussing. The lens I own does a perfect job on focussing on my K-5, very fast, silent and correct. I do not have to adjust the focus point at any focal length. To be sure before I wrote this down, I did an extensive test this afternoon at all focal lenghts. Also the varying softness across the frame and the so called "wobbling" do not occur with my sample.
Depending on your subject and composition you could recognise some cushon distortion, but overall I am very satisfied with its performance and would easily recommend it to others.

Lens Review Date: January 17, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $399.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Size, weight, filter size, usefulness
Cons: Sample variation, AF issues, lens wobble: read revision!
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: New

Well, we tried 2 of these and the first one was extremely soft on the left side of the frame, and that softness changed to other parts of the frame depending if you held the camera horz or vert. Over about 80mm the lens extension allowed the lens to wobble and changed the focus internally(best guess on our part). The second sample also wobbled, but did not seen to have softness issues across the frame. BUT: it required +5 to be sharp above 135mm, and -5 to be sharp below 28mm, esp. at 18mm. It was impossible to come to a fixed point on the AF micro adjust that would work for all(tried on a K5IIs). We have around 16 AF lenses and this is the only one to do this. When dialed in for any particular focal length it is very sharp, better than the 18-250 Pentax on the long end, not as good on the short end. But watch sample variation and the AF. I actually expected more from Sigma after getting the 17-50 OS, 8-16 HSM, and the 50-500 OS that were so good. Gonna wait this one out.

D&K

Edit 2-26-2012: We decided to try a third copy of this lens because everyone else's copy was so much better than our first two copies were. Sure enough the third time WAS the charm: this one focuses perfect, the front of the lens does not wobble nearly as much when extended, and most importantly does not become less sharp over any of the frame from that wobble. Perhaps we got the first batch teething pain from the lenses production, but I like the lens a lot now and will use it a lot. We revised our review accordingly.

D&K

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:22 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!