Third-Party Pentax Lenses - Reviews and Database » Sigma Lenses » Current Zoom Lenses
Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro HSM Review RSS Feed

8.1
 7.1
 7.2
19 61,078 Fri November 10, 2017

Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro HSM

The Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro HSM succeeds the Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM and features improved optics (including a macro function) as well as a lighter barrel which according to Sigma should not be as prone to expansion due to temperature as other lenses. Sigma has incorporated double-sided aspherical lens elements which helps make the lens compact.

This lens features silent HSM autofocus and has a minimum focusing distance of 13.7 inches (35 centimeters).

Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro HSM
Automatic, 7 blades (rounded)
KAF3

(In Production)
$499 USD at launch

Buy Lens: Buy the Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro HSM
Price: $349
Mount Type: Pentax KAF3 (in-lens AF only)

Add Review of Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro HSM Buy the Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro HSM
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 16-19 of 19

Registered: April, 2012
Location: Sweden

Lens Review Date: April 27, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $600.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: AF, Reach, Sharpness
Cons: Wish it was faster
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: Used

Cons: CA sometimes especially when against brightness, but then most lenses would give CA for that matter. Also I wish it was a faster lens like a 5.6 or even faster.

Pros: Extremely precise AF and I have focused through a myraid of branches with spot focus, it grabs the subject quickly everytime, and without hunting. Also its a very quiet lens when focusing, hence suitable for taking to quieter rooms. Than there is its reach 18-250!!! The IQ is very sharp handheld though the colours and contrast sometimes need a little PP. Overall, I am really pleased with purchasing this lens and recommend it highly.

Registered: August, 2011
Location: South Florida

Lens Review Date: January 25, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $549.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp,great autofocus, good construction
Cons: Soft at 250 mm
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 6    Bokeh: 5    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 9    New or Used: New

I am a semi-pro who owns both Nikon and Pentax equipment. I prefer the Pentax (2 of them) outdoors because they are smaller and lighter. Anyway, I bought this lens for the Pentaxes after reading the reviews of the equivalent Pentax lens (18-270). The Sigma was slightly better rated and it was almost $300 cheaper. As any "super zoom" would go, it is a little soft at both ends, but if you want extreme sharpness all over you get a "prime" lens instead. Super zooms are intended as "walk about" or travel lenses where one wants to carry only one lens or not take the time to change lenses. That said, this lens was sharper than I expected, except at the extremes, and very well built. The outofocus is of the latest most advanced type (silent) and works great. I matched it against the Pentax 18-135 lens I already had and it was close in sharpness but the Pentax lens beat it in contrast and color. These were maximun resolution pictures at 100% enlargement, something you don't normally do. So yes, I am very pleased with the lens and now I can carry two Pentax cameras with different lenses without having to change them. Incidentally, I use a K-5 and a K-10, and occasionally do film in a XZ-L. I do mostly landscapes and fitness models, mosty all outdoors, so the "slowness" of super zooms does not affect me much as I live in South Florida. Hope this helps! This a GREAT forum for Pentax!!!!

Registered: March, 2011
Location: Netherlands

Lens Review Date: January 21, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $598.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Small, light, sharp, fast HSM AF
Cons: Cushon distortion, a bit slow (3.5-6.3)
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 8    Value: 9    New or Used: New

This lens is surprisingly sharp for a superzoom, specially when used between aperture 8-11. It's also very compact (smaller than my 18-50 2.8!) It's very nice as a "traveling" lens, and performs very well for that purpose.
I cannot agree with the previous review about bad focussing. The lens I own does a perfect job on focussing on my K-5, very fast, silent and correct. I do not have to adjust the focus point at any focal length. To be sure before I wrote this down, I did an extensive test this afternoon at all focal lenghts. Also the varying softness across the frame and the so called "wobbling" do not occur with my sample.
Depending on your subject and composition you could recognise some cushon distortion, but overall I am very satisfied with its performance and would easily recommend it to others.

Lens Review Date: January 17, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $399.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Size, weight, filter size, usefulness
Cons: Sample variation, AF issues, lens wobble: read revision!
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: New

Well, we tried 2 of these and the first one was extremely soft on the left side of the frame, and that softness changed to other parts of the frame depending if you held the camera horz or vert. Over about 80mm the lens extension allowed the lens to wobble and changed the focus internally(best guess on our part). The second sample also wobbled, but did not seen to have softness issues across the frame. BUT: it required +5 to be sharp above 135mm, and -5 to be sharp below 28mm, esp. at 18mm. It was impossible to come to a fixed point on the AF micro adjust that would work for all(tried on a K5IIs). We have around 16 AF lenses and this is the only one to do this. When dialed in for any particular focal length it is very sharp, better than the 18-250 Pentax on the long end, not as good on the short end. But watch sample variation and the AF. I actually expected more from Sigma after getting the 17-50 OS, 8-16 HSM, and the 50-500 OS that were so good. Gonna wait this one out.

D&K

Edit 2-26-2012: We decided to try a third copy of this lens because everyone else's copy was so much better than our first two copies were. Sure enough the third time WAS the charm: this one focuses perfect, the front of the lens does not wobble nearly as much when extended, and most importantly does not become less sharp over any of the frame from that wobble. Perhaps we got the first batch teething pain from the lenses production, but I like the lens a lot now and will use it a lot. We revised our review accordingly.

D&K

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:44 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!