Third-Party Pentax Lenses - Reviews and Database » Sigma Lenses » Legacy Zoom Lenses
Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Review RSS Feed

Focal length 18-250mm
35mm equivalent focal length

27-375mm (1.5x DX)
29-400mm (1.6x APS-C)
31-425mm (1.7x Foveon APS-C)
Diagonal Angle of view (APS-C)

74 - 6

Image stabilization

Yes; 4 stops claimed benefit
Automatic panning detection
Filter thread 72mm
Does not rotate on focus
Supplied accessories*

Successor (late 2012):

Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro HSM
Mount Type:

Add Review of Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-6 of 6

Registered: May, 2015
Location: Hampshire
Lens Review Date: August 27, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $120.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Wide range of FL's
Cons: Stiff ring to select FL (my copy)
Sharpness: 7    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 7    Value: 9    Camera Used: K-5    Autofocus: 8    New Or Used: Used

I saw this for sale and wondered about the effectiveness of such a large range of FL's. Now there is even wider ranging zooms!
It works fine with on board and hotshoe flash, has an effective in lens shake reduction (I tried it against my in body SR and it was as good) and can produce reasonable images throughout the range if one is not aiming to sell the images.
This was taken on an overcast day focussed less then 6 feet to look at the bokeh. A crop is provided too.
It may not quite replace a 1 8-55mm and 55-300mm pair in image quality but if you are not willing to swap and carry an extra lens it is good enough to avoid disappointment.

FL is 53mm at F4.5

Update, I have tried it on my K100D Super and it works well with it. Here an image and a crop from today. Not the sharpest lens but usable for some cropping.

Lens Review Date: February 5, 2014 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: $380.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: OS, HSM, wide range of focal length, fast AF
Cons: heavy, opposite zoom ring,
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 9    Value: 7

Softest lens I have ever used. but it might be comparable to others in its range. I often use manual prime lenses and this Sigma lens is my first lens since 2010. It delivers its full sharpness at F8-11.
In lens OS helps very well in longer focal length to AF. Of course Pentax has SR feature that is comparable to the in lens OS. But having the OS in lens is great with zoom lens.
I shoot at F8-11, so I am not sure on bokeh.
Handling is Fine. wide range of focal length. fast and silent AF, good walkaround lens.

Location: Norwich, England
Lens Review Date: August 1, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $190.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Image stabilisation within the lens and auto focus system.
Cons: My copy is slightly softer on one side. Poor in low light.
Sharpness: 8    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 9    Value: 9

I bought this lens for a family trip to Paris as I was fed up having to change lenses. I wasn't expecting fantastic results but have been pleasantly surprised and very happy with the convenience of using just one lens. I was particularly pleased with the auto focus capability, which is fast, almost silent and accurate. Another surprise was the in lens OS, which us Pentax users are not particularly used too. You have to remember to switch off the in camera OS, which I forgot do on one occasion and ended up with a batch of unusable images. There is a zoom lock, which is a very useful addition as the lens extends quite a long way when fully open. The main downside is the slow aperture when zoomed out, however I did not find this to be a problem for daytime shots, especially with the K5's ISO capabilities. To combat this downside I simply packed a small fast prime lens for low light situations. These two lenses provided a very versatile travel kit.

When purchasing I was able to compare the Sigma to the Pentax and Tamron lenses of similar focal ranges. In terms of build quality and specification there was no question the Sigma was far superior, but larger and slightly heavier.

A few sample images from our trip. I have edited these in Aperture, however they indicate the lens capabilities.

Registered: January, 2010
Location: Toulouse

Lens Review Date: August 12, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $500.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: long range, OS, HSM
Cons: soft between 150 and 250mm

the best 18-250mm for a PEntax DSLR

Location: The Canadian WetCoast

Lens Review Date: March 15, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $500.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Versatile, price
Cons: IQ, size, plastic construction

If I ever get stranded on an island, a K5 and this lens are all I need to document my life. It is that encompassing!

One negative point on my copy is it doesn't work with PTTL flashes. Sigma US has not given me an explanation so far.

Location: New York
Lens Review Date: December 3, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $480.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Relatively light and fast outdoor/sports lens with rapid AF
Cons: (None)

A relatively light and fast outdoor/sports lens for the Pentax K-r, with rapid AF given the wide focal length range.
Add Review of Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:27 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!