Third-Party Pentax Lenses - Reviews and Database » Sigma Lenses » Legacy Prime Lenses
Sigma 24mm F2.8 AF Super Wide II Review RSS Feed

7.5
New Or Used
 6.0
16 58,965 Fri December 23, 2016

Sigma 24mm F2.8 AF Super Wide II

Auto focus successor to the Superwide II (several reviews of this lens were posted there).

multi-coated,
1:4 macro capability
52mm filter
6 blade iris
Mount Type: Pentax KAF2/KAF (screwdrive AF)

Add Review of Sigma 24mm F2.8 AF Super Wide II
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 16

Registered: November, 2006
Location: Germany
Lens Review Date: December 23, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $150.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Small, close focusing capabilities, sharp center, good color rendition
Cons: Soft corners wide open, distortion, prone to flares, uncomfortable to handle hood
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 5    Value: 8    Camera Used: Pentax K-1    New Or Used: 6

A nice, small and quite capable lens that can be put to good use on FF / K-1, if one knows its limitations.

What I like:
+ good center sharpness
+ good color rendition
+ you can focus very close - it's not a macro lens by all means, but the close focus capabilities come in handy.
+ small filter diameter (52mm)

What I don't like:
- wide open it vignettes visibly and has soft corners
- distortion is clearly visible in architectural shots and has some "moustache" parts in it - harder to correct than the usual barrel distortion
- direct light can produce very intensive rainbow type of flares
- the original hood doesn't allow to clip on the original lens cap - you must remove it to clip on the cap, and then have to store the hood awkwardly and insecurely in reverse

To combat distortion and vignetting I created a lens profile for Adobe LR/PS which works IMO pretty well - so that can be taken care of (anyone interested in the profile can send me a PM - please don't forget to include an valid email address!! - and I will sent it to him/her).

Here some samples:

Brickwall test shot at f2.8 (uncorrected):

The same corrected with the self made profile:

Close focus & bokeh example (wide open, f2.8):

Rainbow flare example (colors enhanced in PP, but you get the drift ...):

Long exposure example - because of the small 52mm filter thread I could use an 10-f-stop ND filter to create this 30s exposure in full daylight with it:

Registered: January, 2015
Location: mid nth coast,nsw
Lens Review Date: May 31, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $20.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: bargain price
Cons: not weather sealed

I scored this and 2 other zooms for the equivalent of U$ 60, so I think I paid $20
I used it on the K50 mainly and really liked the images it produced.However, when I got the K1 it really excelled.first shoot was after sundown on my beach walk and the images were superb.Very happy to get this at a bargain price and its always in the K1 bag.I think that itll be great for pixel shifting( haven't tried this lens yet only the DA16-45).Looking forward to the next opportunity.

Lens Review Date: June 12, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $180.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Top sharpness, rallly wide on film!, FAST AF, metal body and good built, feels solid
Cons: Flares, CD/AF front focusing with K-01, rare to come by
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 8    Value: 9    Camera Used: K10D, K-01, Z1p

This lens is with me for nearly 2 years now. I originally bough it for my K-01 and was really enjoying it immensely, but I always prefered it in manual focusing than AF as it tend to be inaccurate. After using it on my Z1p on film and then on K10D on few occasions with AF on - I can tell you now that this lens is superb on Phase detection Autofcous lenses. My Z1p and K10D focuses in an instant and super accurate, where K-01 really struggles to nail the focus.

My copy came with original lens hood but I replaced it with cheap rubber one for 28mm lens - on APSC offers greater flare control. And you need it! This lens is quite prone to flare - my SMC-K 24mm f2.8 is superior in this single point .. and maybe colour saturation too is sometime more pronounced in SMC K24. But apart from those Sigma is much sharper wide open and in the corners and on edges, AF works great when needed and MF is very easy to use thanks to great sharpness of this lens. At f2.8 is as sharp as none of my other f2.8 lenses apart from SMC-A Macro 50mm f2.8 which obviously is sharper but other than that Sigma really rules. I will never ever part with this lens !

In certain very bright conditions with light in the frame it can flare and lose of contrast is evident , but both are fairly easy to avoid with good lens hood and proper positioning.

Superb lens, I would give it overall 10 if not problems with AF with contrast detection focusing on my K-01.

Registered: March, 2007
Location: So Cal
Lens Review Date: September 20, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $120.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: sharp, better coma control than pentax legacy 24mm lenses
Cons: complex moustache distortion, flimsy, poor quality control by sigma
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 5    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 7    Value: 8    Camera Used: K10d, Sony a7R 36mp full frame

this Sigma 24mm F2.8 AF Super Wide II autofocus lens was the holy grail of 24mm lenses, back when i was shooting with the k10d.

i've owned three of these autofocus versions, and a manual focus version, most of which i tested on the sony a7r.

i dropped one of the three autofocus versions on a rock, from maybe two feet up, and it blew apart like a cheap watch... bye bye $124 :-(

here is a comparison of the three lenses that i have; you can see from the big photos how a couple of 'em have issues on the sides, even at ~f/10... the quality control that sigma did was not up to par to what we see from the old pentax glass:

24mm lens sample variation: Three Sigma 24mm lenses compared

here is one of the those lenses on the 36mp full frame sony a7r, compared to a couple of other legacy slr lenses:

Sigma 24mm F2.8 AF Super Wide II comparison, on the sony a7r

Registered: March, 2009
Location: Cotati, California USA

Lens Review Date: May 1, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Versatile length, great color rendering, nice close focusing, and sharp.
Cons: funky snap on hood.
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 8    Value: 10

This is a wonderful lens that I've finally given a full workout (for one month on my K20d) It's staying in the camera bag. I love the color rendering of it and it's a very nice AF FF lenses as well. I was surprised that it's quite good with a lens reversing ring for macro too (a little hard to use though). It's close focusing feature is a plus. I rated it down just a bit because the manual focus ring on the lens is rather small and just a bit hard to use. It's not really a problem but just not as good as say a Pentax quick shift system.

What else is there to say. This one is a keeper.

Registered: July, 2012
Location: Far North Qld, Australia

Lens Review Date: March 21, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $220.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, creamy bokeh, solid construction, useful focal length, fast.
Cons: Noisy AF, focus ring is slim for manual focus.
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10

This is an excellent, versatile and hard to find lens. Its very sharp, fast, has smooth and creamy bokeh and is of solid construction.

Sharpness: Very sharp across the range but more so between F8-F11.
Aberrations: Tends to overexpose wide open. I have not noticed any chromatic aberrations.
Bokeh: Creamy bokeh, even at f8 when shooting subjects close up. Lovely at f2.8.
Handling: Solid construction, metal mount, narrow focus ring, cumbersome lens hood, light weight. No plasticy cheap feeling with this lens.
Value: Excellent value for money. Useful in a wide variety of situations.

Its a great focal length for landscapes as well as portraits and will also work on full frame models. This is useful should Pentax release a FF dslr. Its quite good for macro work too, and is often marketed for its macro ability but it will not replace a dedicated macro lens. I really like the color output; accurate and rich.

Ive noticed it sometimes over exposes by about 1 stop when shooting wide open, so be aware of this. I manually dial in a -1 exposure value when shooting at f2.8 which corrects the problem. Sharpest between f8 and f11. It seems to expose correctly when stopped down.

The focus ring is very narrow which can be a little tricky for manual focus. This is improved by using a filter so that you have extra room to grip. I haven't noticed any CA.

Autofocus is quite fast, but a little noisy.

All in all this is a fantastic lens and if you come across this little gem, id recommend snapping it up.

I use this with my K-30.

Image Examples:
My favorite shot with this lens so far: http://500px.com/photo/30266631
F2.8: http://www.flickr.com/photos/63892866@N03/8576106913/in/photostream/lightbox/
F2.8: http://www.flickr.com/photos/63892866@N03/8576116737/in/photostream/lightbox/
F6.3: http://www.flickr.com/photos/63892866@N03/8576121531/in/photostream/lightbox/
F8: http://www.flickr.com/photos/63892866@N03/8577216948/in/photostream/lightbox/
F8 100% crop. http://www.flickr.com/photos/63892866@N03/8575936053/in/photostream/lightbox/
F8 Bokeh: http://www.flickr.com/photos/63892866@N03/8576159105/in/photostream
F11: http://www.flickr.com/photos/63892866@N03/8576117597/in/photostream/lightbox/

Registered: December, 2010
Location: Manila
Lens Review Date: October 14, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $154.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: sharp, nice contrast, good bokeh, longfocus throw, sub-macro
Cons: the weird coating on the lens' shell
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 8    Value: 9

I'll write a short review for now and will edit one of these days to show sample pics.
for the meantime here's one:

This lens is a great choice. Like somebody before me said, if you can get one, GET ONE. It's worth it.
Not as sharp as a Limited, true, but for an unknown Sigma, it's practically one of the best finds out there.

Pros:
the MFD makes it a pseudo-macro - and with its wide coverage (ok, not as wide as the DA21 or DA15..) you can make pretty interesting still life shots, particularly useful in weddings for both video and photos.

colors aren't as punchy as Pentax lenses, slightly cooler on the average, but not that far-off. skin tones are slightly paler, but still nice. not sure how it would fare on snow-scapes... but green leaves, flowers, they look great. contrast is nice too, as well as bokeh, while not that circular stopped down, it's not harsh-looking either.

focus throw is excellent for video and manual camera use.

build is nice, just like the FA50 but a bit heavier.

Cons:
MODERATE barrel distortion. Not good for close-up portraits, unless they're of long-faced, un-smiling people. no-no for brick walls and parallel lines, unless you're going for that bulgy look. looks worse when mounted on FF. (I put this score under "aberrations" since the distortion doesn't affect sharpness anyway)

AF is noisy, but then again all screwdrive lenses are.

the hood is a hassle putting on and taking off.

Registered: March, 2012
Lens Review Date: August 16, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $5.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very very sharp and good AF
Cons: Nothing
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10

In fact, I was lucky. I've found it in a " garage sale " for " nothing "...5 $ in mint condition, like new, in its box.
For me it has becoming indispensabel and now it is always on my camera. It is very very sharp. The AF is fast and perfect. It's a lens very useful in all conditions.
You can see pictures taken with it on the other part of thsi forum
The only problem, I've observed, it is that I 've to underexpose always EV -1il or -1.5il for a good exposure on my K-x. ( with my others Pentax lens 50mm1.7 or 18-55 ALII it's not he case and I stay on EV 0...Perhaps it's a usual way with the Sigma lens, It's my only one, I don't know...
I've put a rubber lens hood to prevent flare ans protect the lens ( it's really near the front. )
For me it's a great lens and if you have the possibility to have one, take it without hesitation. You 'll be glad with it.
Sorry for my " primitive english " ...I'm french

Registered: September, 2008
Location: Michigan
Lens Review Date: April 6, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $164.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Tack Sharp, Great Macro, FAST Auto Focus
Cons: Rubberized coating on metal body clumsy snap on lens hood
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 7    Value: 10

This is a sleeper in the lens world and quite a fantastic wide prime. After mounting this lens for the past few weeks. It gave images that pop into the "WOW" sharp as a tack category in my book. The Auto Focus is as quick as any DA limited pancake and that was quite a surprise. Step it down one stop with amazing results. The Macro feature is to die for again producing very stunning results. It tends to hunt a tad at very close range but when the AF locks in the "WOW" factor again shines.

The rubberized coating and lettering/numbering and paint underneath is quite fragile and requires delicate care to keep in good condition but the Metal body is as solid as they come, with quite an excellent build.

This lens is nearly impossible to find in a AF PK mount these days and also can be found re-branded by Quantaray and the Promaster (Spectrum 7 series). If you see one available I highly recommend snapping it up in a heart beat.

About two years ago having foolishly sold a pristine copy of this lens it took two years to find another. The value stated for $164.00 is what I sold the lens for two years ago. Having found my current copy with a set purchased at a tag sale for $11.00 that would not be a fair and accurate assessment for the price of this lens.

Registered: July, 2009
Location: Saffron Walden, Essex
Lens Review Date: March 20, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $200.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Compact, sharp, 1:4 macro
Cons: Rubberised finish degrades, tiny clip-on hood
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 5    Value: 8

Nice and compact. Sharp. Useful 'close-up' mode.

The rubber/plastic finish, especially on the aperture ring, degrades with age (possibly due to wrong choice of cleaning solution by previous owner). On my copy some of the aperture numbers have completely vanished.

Hood is tiny, and virtually useless. Also it's a clip-on hood, so you cannot put on the lens cap with the hood in place. (Marked down handling for this)

Registered: July, 2010
Location: MD
Lens Review Date: November 4, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: very sharp, macro feature provides interesting composition
Cons: rubber barrel could be easily scuffed, hood
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10

This is an excellent lens. Stopped down a little, you will get tack sharp images. AF is very fast and accurate. I really like its macro feature. It helps in getting some unique and amazing shots. The bokeh is very nice too.
The only negative that I could think of is the rubber barrel, which will easily get scuffed. I am not a fan of its hood either.
Overall, it is terrific wide angle prime and will give you best bang for your buck. For the price to performance ratio, it is easily a 10 in my book.

Registered: January, 2009
Location: Central New Jersey
Lens Review Date: May 22, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $100.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Macro - Get close but still wide enought to sense environment; sharper than zooms, small but not as small as Limited; value
Cons: Finish, not the most beautiful lens (autofocus version); color cast

This is really an 8+ lens in my book. I got the autofocus version on an insane deal ($100).

Anyway, I had assumed I'd sell this lens and use the money toward a DA 21mm Limited, but I never did. I like it a lot. It's fairly small, and sharp enough for me (maybe not the sharpest, but certainly sharper than zooms I've used).

It's small enough to go in a pocket; the 24mm focal length is really nice for me and it's darn sharp.

The build quality is excellent, considering this isn't an Sigma-EX lens. At least as good as the FA series.

Focus is pretty fast. See my positive/negative aspects for more details. Overall, I'd pay at least $250 for this puppy.

I

Registered: August, 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA
Lens Review Date: August 20, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $180.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: compact, fast auto-focus, macro, 24mm focal length
Cons: hard to find (especially AF version)
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 8    Value: 10

I have the AF version of this little wonder. Add me to the list of people who have been wowed by this lens. I've been seeking out a low light prime in the 20's that has auto-focus, without paying too much, and this is it! I jumped on it as soon as I saw it available for sale on the PFMarketplace. It is compact, nice construction, and take fantastic, sharp photos. Macro works well (and as a bonus). I use this as an interior lens for somewhat low light conditions, when I want to take candid pictures of groups of people. It fits the bill! if you can find it and the price is reasonable, I recommend you get it! Nice focal length on a APS-C. I'm really happy with it!

Registered: March, 2007
Location: Nove Zamky, Slovakia

Lens Review Date: June 10, 2009 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $100.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: size, sharpness, cheap AF 24mm for Pentax
Cons: flare, colors, contrast

I have got the AF version of this lens. I was looking for FA*24 but coldn't find one, and even if, I wouldn't have money... so as a temporary measure I got Sigma 24/2.8 super wide II. And temporary it is!
This lens is good but.... Small (just tad bigger than my F50/1.7) solidly built (metal body, barrel and mount) with exception of the focusing ring, which feels flimsy.
Sharp from f2.8 (in center) and stays that way until 5.6, from there onwards the sharpness improves across the whole frame, but it's only by f8 & f11 that the corners are good, though they are never very good. From f5.6 onwards you can notice CAs too, and by f11 it's really bad in corners
It has very useful close up ability allowing 1:4 magnification which makes it good walk around lens.
There is a bit of barrel distortion but not too serious - though often visible, and again not too hard to correct.
Another downside (not uncommon with Sigma lenses or many non SMC lenses for that matter) is that it's prone to flare. Even with sun (or strong light source) outside of the frame this lens flares up and produces colorful hexagons all over the place. But that's nothing that good hood wouldn't take care of most of the time. My copy though, suffers from somewhat reduced contrast in many situations (strong light, reflective surfaces...) and I'm not too crazy about the color rendition it produces. Compared to my Sigma 10-20 and my SMC ltds it really lacks in contrast and colors alike.
All in all it's a decent lens, and if you can get one for good money, don't you'll probably by happy. If you are after lens to fill the gap between wide and normal (on APS-C) this one may be it, especially coming from cheap or semi-decent zooms. But once you have tried some really good lenses, I don't think this one will cut it.

PS: original post edited in 11/2009 after extended use.

Moderator Emeritus

Registered: May, 2007
Location: Edmonton Alberta, Canada
Lens Review Date: June 26, 2008 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Good size, Sharp, fast focus with accurate metering
Cons: Surface rubber has cheaper feel/look.

A recent addition to my kit but a very nice lens. I have the AF version of the Super Wide II.

I'd agree that the IQ is slightly cooler than the Pentax branded lenses. Contrast is very good and I've not seen any CA in images so far. Very nice focal length on a DSLR.

Lens focuses fast and accurate. I find it sharp at all apertures. Actually very sharp when slightly stopped down. I didn't get the hood with my version but the front mount is bayonet. Filter threads are 52mm so a fairly standard size. It is about the size and weight of the FA50mm f1.4 and comfortable to use. Focus travel is about 100 Deg so it is possible to manual focus but since it is an AF lens, it's not as easy for fine MF adjusting.

My only issue with the lens is a small one but the outer grip on the lens barrel is rubberized. It scuffs and one should be careful cleaning it (I had another zoom lens of this generation (same rubber cover) where the rubber deteriorated from a cleaner) with only a damp cloth.

Here's a quick test shot and a 100% crop. ISO 100 1/100th, f6.3

Add Review of Sigma 24mm F2.8 AF Super Wide II

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:37 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!