Third-Party Pentax Lenses - Reviews and Database » Sigma Lenses » Legacy Prime Lenses
Sigma 24mm F2.8 Super Wide II Review RSS Feed

7.8
23 163,039 Thu September 20, 2018

Sigma 24mm F2.8 Super Wide II

The updated version of the MF superwide was introduced in 1986, and with time more parts (aperture ring etc) were made of plastic (pic 2). Was produced for all the camera mounts of the era including M42, P-KM and P-KA mounts.

First version superwide listed here.
Autofocus version listed here.

Multi-Coated 24mm
1:4 Macro f2.8 - f22
Automatic Aperture
52mm filter ring
Normally comes with Sigma "Perfect Hood" Snap On lens hood (though for APSC sensors a larger hood would be more ideal).
Mount Type: Pentax KA

Add Review of Sigma 24mm F2.8 Super Wide II
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 23

Registered: May, 2015
Location: Hampshire
Lens Review Date: September 20, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $36.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Can be very likeable
Cons: can be disliked.
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 7    Value: 9    Camera Used: K-5    New Or Used: Used

I have had this lens since yesterday and have given it some stick to find out whether or not previous reviews would apply to my copy.
My copy is in reasonable condition but the finish is poor regarding the painted numbers on the barrel. It clicks over to "A" and back with no trouble and has very little dust and no sign of any internal problems (to my eye anyway) and included the hood.
Good points. Near subjects;
Focusses nice and close and the bokeh is not terrible. Acceptably sharp from around F3.5 to F11, super sharp from F5.6 to F8-F10. I am not worried about any distortion and am happy with the exposures and contrast.

Bad points. Far subjects;
Mine does not seem very sharp at any aperture, certainly acceptable at around F5.6-F11 but not especially pleasing. I do not like the fact that the focussing ring goes from 5 feet to infinity in about 1/4 of an inch. Focussing by eye is problematic for me on wider MF lenses and focus confirmation seems a bit less trustworthy than I would like. My Sigma mini-wide 11 28mm F2.8 gives a lot less trouble.
Exposures are not always spot on, today being overcast and the ambient light being steady I found that I sometimes needed to under expose by anything from -1/3 to -1 at some apertures. I could not discern any linear compensation that could be applied. If I were adept at post processing in anything other than Picasa I imagine I would under expose a little all the time for far subjects.

Mid distance subjects and using flash;
Good and can be sharp or sharp enough at all but the widest apertures.
The AWB set to flash rather than auto gives a slightly warmer image. Seems quite good.

I have recommended this lens based purely on the close and mid distance subject performance as I feel to far distance IQ may not be as good as the results of my 18-55mm kit lens which has a lot more versatility. Hopefully it is my copy and others have better ones judging by other reviews

Registered: July, 2017
Lens Review Date: August 29, 2017 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: $75.00 | Rating: 1

Pros: Very good close-up performance.
Cons: The rest
Sharpness: 4    Aberrations: 6    Bokeh: 5    Handling: 6    Value: 1    Camera Used: K-50

I do not like this lens. I tried so much, yet it failed me always - except close-ups, which is the strength of this lens. But, well, who wants a 24mm to shoot (pseudo) macro?

Samples that I will talk on are here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/130-lens-sample-photo-archive/153751-sig...ml#post4079353.

I wanted to go wide, and got this lens as a result. I wanted to have wider angle lens with me, as cropping is easier than walking behind in many occasions. I should say that whatever I will write will be based on the lens' non-close up performance, i.e. from infinity focus to 2 meters.

The lens is far from sharp. Whatever I did, it did not get any sharp. See the two photos - can you see any traces of sharpness? Even increasing clarity, then applying high-pass filter did not help it at all. The lens literally rages against sharpness.

Flare, lack of contrast, and all-grey colors when there is the name of the sun. If it hears that there is sun somewhere, it decided not to work at all. Do not think that it worked good insides, there it did not work too. But when it got out, especially when there was sun, it went simply mad in all aspects - regardless of the position and the strength of the sun.

Bokeh is pretty good if you shoot from 10cm - but who wants to shoot from 10cm with a 24mm lens?

Contrast. Another big problem. It is like the lens does not have any coating. When it is daylight, you cannot use it - regardless of having the sun in or around the frame. When it sees that there is sunlight, it becomes upset.

Distortion and CA - the same. Distortion is something fixable, yet whatever I did, I could not manage to fix distortions with this lens. I want to shoot landscapes and buildings with you man, why do not you give me any straight lines?

Colors - so blue. Sigma is famous with its bluer tones, yet this lens does so blue that there is no space for yellows. I missed perfect tones simply because of this lens' strange behavior.

Handling-wise I do not have much complaints. It is small and light, yet does not feel like metal (if it is) - but surely not stupid plastic too. I did not like the feeling of the aperture, as it is so strong, yet the focus ring was smooth.

Not worth a penny. Do not spend anything on this. Take it if it is free - so that you can sell it and invest on some other, even if not quality at least adequate lens.

Location: Brwinow, Mazovia, Poland

Lens Review Date: July 4, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $140.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp from full aperture, lightweight, nice colour rendition
Cons: Came with no hood
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax K-5    New Or Used: 9

Another little marvel. I bought the lens used from ebay.de to complement my choice of full-frame lenses ready for the coming Pentax K-1. I was somewhat afraid of "cold colours" as reportedly rendered by the Sigma 24/2.8. Not correct. As the photo below shows, the lens is perfect, although only tested on K-5 body. Similar IQ as given by a new Sigma A 35/1.4. With f/2.8 (and ISO 1600, mind you) I found almost no CA's to correct (little green fringing), no visible distortions, a sharp picture and nice colour. In addition, this lens is easy to manually focus. I just set 0.5 m distance, waited for sharpness confirmation sound from the camera and took this selfie. A little marvel.

Registered: March, 2016
Lens Review Date: September 16, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $120.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Extremely sharp at 2.8, nice colours, good handleing, macro
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Sony A7R

Nice wide lens, good for landscapes, sharp, macro capablity is very good.

Registered: February, 2016
Lens Review Date: March 12, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $60.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp wide open, macro abilities
Cons: Aperture ring is plastic, and it is very rough to handle
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 7    Value: 9    Camera Used: Eos 450

Nice saturated colors and quite sharp even wide open. Similar character to ensinor 24 2.8, but sharper at all apertures and especially wide open. My copy is simply outstanding. I can't praise it enough.
On the downside, the aperture ring is the worst manual ring I've tried, but I can live with it. Try a well kept copy and enjoy.

Registered: August, 2007
Location: Helsinki
Lens Review Date: October 15, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $130.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Lens Size, good sharpness, bokeh, close focus
Cons: Flare control isn't so good without hood
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 8    Value: 9

I really like that these Sigmas are so small size lenses (I have also Sigma mini-wideII 28/2.8 MC) - almost like some Pentax made primes - but perform very well.

I use it with my Pentax K-5, but also with my NEX (with Pentax adapter).

Here are some my experiences with it (and lot of sample images!):

Overall this Sigma is great small prime, which can produce very nice close-ups with nice bokeh.

Registered: January, 2010

Lens Review Date: September 27, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $105.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Close-up
Cons: flare, corner softness
Sharpness: 6    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 5    Value: 6

I bought a copy having Nikon mount and used on micro 4/3 camera (Oly. E-pl2). The trouble starts with the mount. The design of the lens has deeper outer rim. When I mount it on the camera body using a adapter, the rim actually block the movement of the aperture ring. If I turn the aperture ring passing f5.6 from wide open, I could not turn it back to aperture wider than f5.6 because the rim stops it at the locking pin. To move it back to wide open, I need to press the locking pin down to let pass the aperture ring. So inconvenient.

Second, I had the original Sigma 28mm f2.8 (mini wide; Mk I) which people often forget about. I got it very cheap. (under $20) When I compare these two lenses, the sharpness at close-up end is on par. However, for the landscape shots, the mini-wide outperforms the supper wide II, mainly on the corners and borders. The corner softness from Super wide II just does not deserve all the good to excellent reviews that most people are raving about. Well, maybe I got a bad copy.

Third, it comes to the critical point that most of the people agree. The flare is just bad beyond you could image. Again, I compare the shots on the same scene (my dining room with chandeliers hanging on the upper-left side) from these two lenses. The Super wide II renders an unpleasant flare on the lower-right corner but the shot from mini-wide is clean. That surprises me, because people say that the Mk II has better coating than Mk I (coating is probably the only difference between two versions).

Based on these observations, I think Sigma Super Wide II is extremely over-priced. There are several other better choices for the 24 mm f2.8 vintage lenses available at similar price.

Registered: August, 2010
Location: back home
Lens Review Date: August 8, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $30.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: all-metal (solid), sharp
Cons: flare, some CA
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 7    Value: 9

This is for the M42 version.

Other than not having the A position (which I didn't list as a con because one obviously knows that when buying an M42 lens) the lens is a solid performer.

IQ is quite good: already sharp wide open, even better stopped down.
Some CA is present but there's much worse out there. Flare can also occur in tricky situations, though I don't have a hood to prevent it.
I thought the colours were a little cold and lacked some contrast (and that's true against Pentax lenses), but compared to the Cosina-made Vivitar of the same focal length that I own, I'd say it's plenty warm...

Not sure if it's a general thing or just my copy, but the focus ring feels as if it needs some tightening (i.e. it turns quite easily), it's not as dampened as Pentax M or A lenses.

I'm pointing out the flaws but in fact I'm really quite happy with this lens. It's much better than the Vivitar and sharper than the kit lens.

Registered: July, 2011
Lens Review Date: May 28, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $180.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Good quality images, decent mechanics
Cons: it's a Sigma, only used available
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 8    Value: 8

Nice lens for a good price. This lens outperforms all newer versions. The AF version has the crappiest focus ring/engine I have ever worked with. Only availbale used.

Registered: December, 2011
Location: West Sumatra, Indonesia

Lens Review Date: April 3, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $96.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: build to quality, handling, result
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 8

This is my first M42 lens, find it from my local online seller comes with leather case. I'm very impressed with the sharp and color, i might say it started being wild on F4. Perfect companion for my (ex) Olympus EP-L1, will find the flower hood for daylightshoot. This lens had value and very great bargain if you could be patience.

Yes, you couldnt go wrong with this razor sharp

Registered: September, 2011
Lens Review Date: October 24, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $195.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharpness, contrast, wide
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10

I was very astounished when I first shot with this lens. I knew it is to be a very sharp lens corner-to-corner, I was equally impressed by the contrast it delivers. This is know by some Pentax circles to be one of the sharpest lenses Sigma ever produced.

In my opinion this Sigma is visibly sharper than Pentax-A 24mm 2.8, which I also own. When I need a wide angle lens for street shots or landscape photography, I bring this lens with me. It is great for in-doors on my K-5 when I need shallow DoF to isolate subject from background.

For the most part, I use it on my K-5, until Pentax delivers FF digital.

Registered: August, 2010
Location: Edinburgh
Lens Review Date: August 31, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $80.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharpness, affordability
Cons:
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 7    Value: 8

Feels a little plasticy compared to its Pentax-brand rivals in the A and M series, and the aperture ring is a little tricky to click into position, occasionally I will go two stops accidentally.

Overall though this is a very sharp lens, excellent for the landscapes and crowd shots I use it for.

Registered: June, 2011
Location: Budapest
Lens Review Date: July 29, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $80.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Good quality pix, nice size & weight, cute hood, macro
Cons: Extremely prone to flare
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 6    Value: 8

This really is a very cute lens. I mainly use it indoors, where the light is not enough; here the 2.8 aperture is a must, for keeping the ISO low. For portraiture wide open it is very good, while outdoors when the light enables it, closed down to a few stops it gives excellent pictures.

What I don’t like is the extreme sensitivity to stark light. It shouldn’t be the sun, if there is strong light the contrast drops significantly. With the passing hood the lens look svery cute, but it was engineered for FF, so it is a little short when you use it on a cropped sensor camera. The hood has a smaller diameter inside, so you cannot use the original cap when the hood is on the lens, a 49 mm cap is needed:

What is also a nice plus is the macro capability of the lens. You can go extreme close to a subject, which is demonstrated on the wasp picture. This was taken at 2.8, 100% crop, no post processing other than adding a small black level:

You can see the shallow DOF, the short focal length with 2.8 and the macro produces this beautifully OOF picture. The bokeh on this photo is very nice, though at longer distances it is not that creamy.

All in all, this is a very good lens, I recommend for everybody.

Registered: February, 2011
Lens Review Date: May 28, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $150.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharpness, wide-open IQ, relative cheap price
Cons: build
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10

After hearing praises from a friend who also shoot Pentax, I paid about $150 USD for a copy in excellent condition at a local shop. Since then, it has been one of my favorite lenses on both film and digital. I've sold off all my other 24mm lenses to keep this one because it's been my go-to 24mm lens.

Registered: February, 2009
Location: Arlington, VA
Lens Review Date: March 19, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Super-sharp, cheap, well built, A setting
Cons: not very contrasty, softish extreme corners at all apertures
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 8    Value: 10

A fantastic lens... Extremely sharp. At f5.6 and beyond sharpness is pretty uniform across the frame, although not ideal for landscapes. Very sharp wide open, too, with the corners being quite a bit softer than the rest.

As other reviewers pointed out, it can flare quite a bit depending on the angle relative to the Sun (like its sister, the Sigma Mini-Wide 28mm). Contrast tends to be low without a hood, but since I shoot raw, this isn't a problem.

Also, my copy seriously overexposes in Av (except wide open)--something to do with the aperture lever of this lens... I use -1.5 EV compensation, which solves the problem.

For the price, a 9/10 lens. I doubt there can be a better deal for a 24mm, which, btw, is a very useful focal length on APS-C cameras.

Best uses: events, streets. Goes very well with the DA 40mm.

Note: I had the MF version of this lens; now I own an AF copy--which is visibly better than the MF version.
Add Review of Sigma 24mm F2.8 Super Wide II

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:43 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!