Third-Party Pentax Lenses - Reviews and Database » Sigma Lenses » Legacy Zoom Lenses
Sigma 28-80mm F3.5-5.6 II Macro Review RSS Feed

Macro switch (at 80mm)
Aspherical
Mount Type:

Add Review of Sigma 28-80mm F3.5-5.6 II Macro
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 22

Registered: June, 2007
Location: SE Idaho - Rocky Mtns
Lens Review Date: September 20, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $30.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Very inexpensive - Nice zoom range for my application
Cons: Poly-carbonate mount
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 8    Value: 9    Camera Used: Pentax K-1    Autofocus: 8    New Or Used: 8

I'm a Google Maps Guide and needed a 'daily driver' lens to image stores and shops from my car for publication on Google Maps. I'm very impressed with the overall performance of this lens. Here are some Google Maps images I took yesterday & today...

This lens will probably never be used at anything other than F/8.0

Lens Review Date: March 12, 2015 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: $35.00 | Rating: 4

Pros: STOPPED DOWN good SHARP
Cons: CA'S, much plastic
Sharpness: 5    Aberrations: 4    Bokeh: 5    Handling: 8    Value: 4    Camera Used: k-x, k100    Autofocus: 8

very good AF, but color rendition not so satisfying for me
CA's in the corners

for beginners good and sufficient.

for amateur or profs: ther are better lenses in the market

Therefore only 4 to 5 points

Registered: May, 2012

Lens Review Date: July 6, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Very cheap, nice range, lightweight
Cons: Macro mode switch
Sharpness: 7    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 3    Value: 10    Camera Used: K10D, K-5 IIs

This lens had been my most used autofocus lens for a long time due to 28mm being the widest I had available. It's definitely sharp for the type of lens it is and the price it usually sells for. My largest complaint though is that actually using the macro mode is the most frustrating thing ever when taking photos. You have to rotate it to 80mm flip a switch to macro and then it hunts a lot (K10D). Then since the focusing ring is in the macro area you can't flip the switch back to normal. So, you usually have to switch your camera to MF, rotate the focusing ring back, flip the switch to normal and set your camera back to AF. It's a very frustrating experience when you have to do this in the field. If you want a good 28-80 for under 40 dollars though then it's still a good lens, but if you know your going to be switching between macro and normal a lot then don't buy this lens.

Registered: August, 2013

Lens Review Date: March 3, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $30.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great little lens
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: D50/N90

I'd say this is fast worming its way into my favorite lineup despite its short range. My version is a Nikon mount of course, It did work well on my N90 but at less than 35mm it crops the corners on a full frame. DSLR, beautiful. I happen to really like the bokeh and the colors are very nice. To me its as sharp as any and I really appreciate its light weight/compactness. It didn't (at least mine doesn't) have the expected plasticky/ feel and even on manual focus the ring is smooth and precise. I really like this lens!

Location: Melbourne
Lens Review Date: May 17, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $27.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Cheap - Works
Cons: Hunts - lens quality
Sharpness: 6    Aberrations: 6    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 7    Value: 7

Was it me , was it the lens hunting ? Im not sure , but this is the macro shot ...

The rest are macro as well , except for the cat ..

Now the first thing that comes to mind with this lens is , it sure does hunt a lot in Macro , its going nuts , especially on more complicated subjects !
But the lens does work , it can snap some nice images .. And you can get rather close to the subject as well , my lens can get to around 100mm or slightly less to focus on a subject as long as there is enough light . In macro the lens is sensitive to light levels , if you went with manual focus , you might get even closer to the subject .

So taking into consideration the price ( I paid $27 shipped for mine ) it does offer value for money for anyone on a budget , especially if your keen to try macro.
Not everyone has $300 to $500 for an entry level macro lens , so for the price of a take out meal , you could be experiencing macro photography ..
These are old lenses , often attached to MZ-50 and such , and are being picked up for a song ..

Well , look at the pictures ( istD + Sigma 28-80 Macro combo ) , and ?

Lens Review Date: January 28, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $55.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Macro, price, build quality
Cons: Sharpness, contrast
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 9    Value: 10

I bought this lens as a cheap way to get into macro photography and I quite like it. It is a sturdy feeling lens with good build quality. Sharpness is comparable to the 18-55mm kit lens, though the kit edges it out in terms of contrast. AF performance on my copy is quite good - probably as fast as the kit with very little hunting. Macro-wise, it performs well. The 1:2 magnification is great for flowers and bugs and you can boost the magnification with a cheap set of macro tubes or filters. A great lens to take outdoors on a hike. Versatile enough to grab some decent landscape shots and then get down low for some macro work. Bottom line, it's a fun lens!

Registered: August, 2010
Lens Review Date: December 7, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: good macro, fast focus, nice zoom range
Cons: poor hood attachment
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 9

i bought this lens mainly to try out the macro feature and so far i'm very satisfied considering its cheap price. overall IQ is okay and comparable to kit lens but needs to underexpose (-0.3) a bit to nail correct exposure for high contrast scenes.

Registered: February, 2011
Location: St Louis, MO

Lens Review Date: December 1, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: lightweight, fast and quiet focus, a real bargain
Cons: none for the price
Sharpness: 8    Bokeh: 6    Handling: 8    Value: 8

I have the II version, bought it new for my SF1 film camera.
Don't remember the price, and didn't use it much before going P&S digital.

Kind of forgot about it until recently.
I stuck it on my K-01,and was well pleased with the results.
I'm not a Pro, just a jpeg shooter wanting to take nice snapshots.

I really like the range of 28-80mm, and since I usually shoot longer more often than wider.

Registered: May, 2012
Location: Sydney, Oz ~ just past the phone box
Lens Review Date: May 22, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $20.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Cheap but nowhere near nasty
Cons: zoom & focus can feel 'loose'
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 2    Handling: 7    Value: 10

I've got two of these lenses, and I use the one I bought second ($20) because it's not as 'loose' feeling as the older one I bought first ($40). The newer one also has a tighter fit at the mount, but maybe that's a wear issue.
I think that negative reviews of this lens are unfair, given the price you pay for the pics you will get. For $20, you won't get a Zeiss Distagon!
Pics that I've taken with this lens are very good IMHO, & I'd recommend it to anyone except perhaps pro's or perfectionists.
Mounted on a K5, you'll never find low light a problem, so aperture isn't so important unless you want nice bokeh, which this lens doesn't do well at with a 3.5 minimum aperture.
Positives ~
Focus is sharp 28mm through to 80mm.
Colour rendition is clean, clear and concise.
Lens is light but solid.
Macro is more than 'good'.

Negatives ~
Light flare can limit photo direction options.

Location: Madrid, Spain
Lens Review Date: December 10, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $35.00 | Rating: 4

Pros: Cheap, 1:2 macro capability
Cons: Poor IQ (sharpness in particular), average build quality, very poorly designed hood
Sharpness: 5    Aberrations: 5    Bokeh: 5    Handling: 4    Value: 4

I had this for a while but didn't use it much. The 1:2 macro is it's redeeming feature, if it has one, as it's better magnification than most pseudo-macro lenses offer. It's only at 80mm though, hence the maximum aperture using macro is f/5.6, so you'll need a LOT of light or a tripod (but then that's true for any real macro work). It's probably the cheapest way to get this kind of macro capability, even more so than reversing rings or extension tubes, and you'll have auto everything too, which you lose with those options.

The IQ in general use is so-so at best. Sharpness is not great and there's a greenish/yellowish colour cast. COntrast is average. It's build reasonably well, quite solidly, but the macro switch does not inspire confidence & the zoom and focus rings to not operate smoothly. The lens hood is not petal-shaped and attached to the main barrel, not the front which moves on focusing, so I doubt it's very effective. In macro mode, the front element is BEYOND the end of the hood, rendering it completely useless.

I've reommended it but with the caveats of price, and only then if you want it for the macro mode, I wouldn't recommend this lens for general use.

Registered: October, 2010
Location: Portugal
Lens Review Date: November 29, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $20.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: barato, ligero, enfoque rapido, macro 1:2,
Cons: poca calidad abierto al maximo, plastico, mucho plastico,
Sharpness: 4    Aberrations: 5    Bokeh: 6    Handling: 5    Value: 6

Es una opción muy barata cuando buscamos algo para calzar a nuestra Pentax, el enfoque es rápido y dispone de un interesante macro 1:2. Lo pero es su excasa calidad a plena a pertura y construcción en plastico.

Un objetivo muy basico y barato. Es mejor a partir de f8 y f11, con trípode y sin prisas

Registered: August, 2011
Location: Glenroy, Melbourne
Lens Review Date: November 26, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $40.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Light, does a good job on most tasks, cheap.
Cons: none for the price
Sharpness: 7    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 7    Value: 10    Autofocus: 7

I got this lens at a local pawn shop as the sigma 18-50m I had started having a few issues, and I wanted a bit of extra reach. I've continually been surprised by the images it produces, Its not outstanding but it never really does a bad job either. Mine has the metal K mount and overall mine has proved to be quite sturdy. This is the lens that's attached when my camera when it first comes out of the bag and does a great job as a walkaround. Below are some images #2 & #4 are 100% crops, these were taken with *istDS(6mp)

5 years on, I've upgraded to better equipment but I still use this lens on my K20D in the workshop were it does an good job taking technical shots of electronics the macro function being quite handy, and I don't have to worry about it being knocked about

Registered: June, 2009
Location: Las Vegas NV
Lens Review Date: April 30, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $25.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: decent macro, fast focusing
Cons: kit lens quality, macro switch a bit tricky

I bought this lens on a Pentax Zx-7 body along with a Tamron 28~200 zoom that was attached to a Zx-30 body.
I originally went in to the pawn shop to just buy the
Tamron and body for $59 they also wanted $49 for the sigma and body, I couldnt talk the guy down on the Tamron set up but he offered me the whole set of cameras and lenses for $90 for everything, so I bought it all.
I originally figured I would just put the Sigma set up for sale and even the other body, but once I tried the sigma out I was pleasantly surprised especially with the macro feature. I am now planning on keeping it just for the macro, I imagine I will use it a lot once I start taking other shots with it.
I would have given it a 10 if the build quality was better, but I do like the metal bayonet mount on it better than the plastic mount on my kit lenses.

Registered: March, 2009
Location: EU
Lens Review Date: March 1, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $100.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: macro abilities, useful zoom range, fast AF, light
Cons: plastic built, prone to flare and CA
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 8    Value: 9

As for macro I would rate it 9/10, apart from this my rate would be 7/10 so I put 8
I use it especially to shoot macro but generally this is not my favorite lens.
It is very light so AF is one of the fastest (similar to FA 28-70). Sometimes suffers from CA and has prone to catch flare. Should be stopped down to be quite sharp, the best is F7,1-11. Plastic bayonet - as for now nothing to worry.

Location: California
Lens Review Date: February 24, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $60.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: My carry around lens - small, fits well and has incredible IQ
Cons: None so far

This lens has become my only kit lens that I take anywhere. I bought it after looking at the reviews in this forum and after seeing the photograph of the airplane landing above this comment. The macro is just formidable. I use it more often that any. It is a portrait lens too. All the good things said above. I do not understand the comments about the cheap built. This lens looks and feels sturdy. It is the II version. All automatic. The macro botton is just fine, you have to read the manual to understand how to use it the first time after that is just fine.

The first picture is out of focus, it is my fault. I have a focussed image in Flicker. I will post it here later on.

Add Review of Sigma 28-80mm F3.5-5.6 II Macro

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:46 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!