Third-Party Pentax Lenses - Reviews and Database » Sigma Lenses » Legacy Zoom Lenses
Sigma 28-80mm F3.5-5.6 Macro Review RSS Feed

7 Elements in 7 Groups

Angle of View 30.3 - 75.4 degrees
Number of Diaphragm Blades 6 Blades
Minimum Aperture F22
Minimum Focusing Distance 50cm / 19.7 in.
Maximum Magnification 1:2
Filter Size Diameter 55mm
Dimensions Diameter 67.5mm X Length 67.5mm
2.7 in. x 2.7 in.
Weight 255g / 9 oz.

More info here: http://www.shopping.com/xPF-Sigma-Zoom-Wide-Angle-Telephoto-28-80mm-f-3-5-5-...entax-AF-Black
Mount Type:

Add Review of Sigma 28-80mm F3.5-5.6 Macro
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 17

Registered: January, 2018
Lens Review Date: November 5, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $20.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: price, image quality
Cons:
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-1    Autofocus: 9    New Or Used: Used

I bought this lens a number of years ago, to test if it was my camera or my only lens which was broken. This was the cheapest autofocus lens I could find on eBay. It turned out that the camera's autofocus was broken. I occasionally used this lens with different crop cameras until I kind of forgot it for a couple of years (as the focal length range is not ideal for APS-C sensor). When using it, I always thought the pictures were rather okay.

Now, come 2018, I decided to test this with K-1. Surprisingly, it turns out this lens is actually pretty good. I did not do any systematical testing with different apertures etc. and it is very much possible, even likely, that it is not very sharp wide open etc. Last weekend, I went for a hike with this lens + K-1 and I am extremely surprised at the images it produces. Based on this half day of shooting, I am ready to give a rather positive feedback to this lens. It may be cheap, but that is probably because there are so many of these around. Again, it is maybe not super sharp, but the results are okay. IMHO, the difference to DFA 24-70 is not nearly as big as the price difference would suggest.

I will definitely try to take out this lens in some better light some day to see if my impression holds.

1/25s f/7.1 ISO 4000 @63mm

1/20s f/10 ISO 800 @70mm

Lens Review Date: December 27, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $30.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Lightweight, nice handling
Cons: Macro/Normal switch sticks sometimes
Sharpness: 6    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 6    Handling: 7    Value: 7    Camera Used: K2000, K100D, K10D, K30    Autofocus: 7

I've had this lens for about a year and a half and I mainly use it to photograph small items for eBay listings. It works okay for that purpose but it's not my all-time favorite lens. It has recently developed an annoying habit of not wanting to switch out of Macro mode. The little switch sticks, which locks the zoom at 80mm. To fix it, I have to remove the lens from the camera and jiggle the aperture tab on the base. It will then release, albeit sometimes reluctantly. Fortunately, I have a couple of other lenses that cover the same focal range, so it's no biggie to leave this one in Macro mode.

UPDATE: I have discovered that quirk with the Normal/Macro switch only manifested itself on my K100D. I have not had that problem at all using this lens on my K10D and K30.

Registered: July, 2012
Location: Far North Qld, Australia
Lens Review Date: September 22, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $50.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: metal mount, solid construction, sharp, fast to focus
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 8    Value: 8

I really enjoy this lens. I find it to be sharp and well made. I have the metal mount so i think this makes it more sturdy. Its fast to focus and produces sharp images. Macro mode is useful. Used on my Kx.

Registered: December, 2010
Location: Southeast USA
Lens Review Date: March 25, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $25.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Macro, Decent Sharpness
Cons: Plastic Mount
Sharpness: 7    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 8    Value: 8

I have the version II lens with the plastic mount. For me the best thing about this lens is the macro feature. I've taken some images I am very pleased with using this feature. It is ok as a normal lens if stopped down to f/8 or more. See an example at the link below.

Registered: May, 2011
Lens Review Date: June 3, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $20.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Metal Mount, 1:2 Macro, cheap, sturdy
Cons: difficult to access the pin to move from A to using the Aperture ring with lens on the camera but you would rarely want to - leave it on A.

I haven't had much time to play with this lens but, so far, for the price it is a bargain.
This is an older style of lens with an Aperture ring and DOF scale around the focusing ring but works great when set on A and has Auto-Focus (unlike much older M or A lenses).
The lens is sturdy and has a great feel.
Manual focusing can be a bit touchy.
The range makes it a good walk-around lens with a handy Macro function at 80 mm depending on what type of shots you usually take.
Make sure it's set to 80 mm before trying to flick the Macro button. Leave it on A when using M mode unless you want to use stop-down metering.
For the price you can pick these up they are great value over many older M or A lenses.

Registered: April, 2010
Location: Macedon Ranges, Victoria
Lens Review Date: December 11, 2010 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: None indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: Metal mount, relatively cheap, lightweight, very good Macro
Cons: Poor focusing at distance, rotates when focusing,

I used this lense in a PF challenge (SiS), and found it to be an excellent macro lense, but for normal portrait use, very difficult to use.

There is little room for error when focusing, as there is only ... say, 15 degrees to play with, which in lower apertures led to some "not pretty stuff!". However Macro mode was quite crisp, and produced fine results.

The lense I'm reviewing here is almost identical to this in every respect, except that the rubber focusing ring has shorter grips (S/N 3429160) , not the wider version shown here.

In short, a good lense close up, but not a good general purpose I would think. If you want a Macro with other abilities, it's OK, but otherwise, buy a purpose built lense!

Cheers Paddy

Registered: May, 2010
Location: Gold Coast, QLD
Lens Review Date: October 24, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $1.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Metal lens mount, 28mm wide angle, great for macro photography

I have the version of this lens with the metal mount and mine is in a gold like color. I'm a big fan of wide-angle lenses and 28-80mm is a nice zoom range.

What I like best is it's great for doing macro shots at 80mm (there's a dedicated macro switch on the lens)-it is nice and sharp at 80mm and in between, plus I find the zoom ring has a nice feel to it and focusing is quite easy .

Build quality is quite nice for one that's made out of plastic.

Registered: January, 2010
Location: Paris
Lens Review Date: May 20, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $20.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp , Fast autofocus , Light
Cons: F3.5-5.6 a bit slow

I own the version with a metal mount , but without the macro mode. In my opinion it is sharper than the FA 28-70. I like it a lot , and for the price you can find it there is no alternative which would be that good.

Here is an example of how sharp this lens can be. Only White balance correction has been applied.

Location: Elida, Ohio
Lens Review Date: November 9, 2009 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $20.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: sharp for cheap zoom, well built
Cons: color not as good as later version

This is not as much of a review as it is a clarification of different Sigma 28-80 f3.5-5.6 lens versions.

A couple of reviews above this, Steve mentions that he has the II version, I do to and have added a separate listing for it. BUT, I also have another version of this one, which came with another package I bought on ebay. The one I have does have a metal mount and it has 8 blades, just like the II. The "grips" on the barrel are like the II. Here is the strange part that I just noticed, this one focuses in the opposite rotation of the one pictured above and the II. I have posted a picture here for comparison, notice the focus ring markings going the opposite direction.

The lens is not a bad lens, but it's not as good as the II, at least in my copies.

Location: Boston
Lens Review Date: September 19, 2009 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $45.00 | Rating: 5

Pros: Cheap Price, Fast Focus, Sharp within limits
Cons: CA is hit/miss, feels cheap, plastic mount.

I liked this lens so much as a cheap, "who cares," walk-around that I purchased another when the first met with an unfortunate accident. I've gotten some great images from this lens, even indoors with an AF500FTZ flash mounted on a GX-10 (now that's improvising).

I think this is one of the last Asphericals Sigma made for film and despite that, it seems to make the digital transition quite well.

Location: Ontario, California
Lens Review Date: August 1, 2009 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $18.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great IQ, fast AF, cheap enough to knock around
Cons: somewhat slow maximum aperture

Edit: It has just come to my attention that I have the "II" version of this lens, and the optics might be slightly improved over the first version.

I cannot believe that people keep giving this lens such a low rating. My 10 is at this point artificially high (should be a 9) to offset the unreasonably low numbers from other reviews.

The cons are a slow maximum aperture, a front element that rotates, a poorly designed hood mount, and a plastic mount. This list of cons applies to a lens that usually sells for $20-$60. Can you really list these at faults at this price? This lens is sharp, focuses FAST, is compact, and is very light. If Pentax rebadged this lens as their own, and sold it for twice as much, it would get 10's across the board for quality and value. I have personally compared it to the Takumar-F 28-80. The only two areas where the Takumar has a minor edge is in bokeh and build quality. In every other possible way the Sigma wins.

Location: Madrid, Spain
Lens Review Date: July 28, 2009 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $40.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Cheap macro, reasonably solid
Cons: Bad lens hood, difficult to manually focus

I paid €29 for this lens so it was certainly a bargain. I have the version two which has a metal fitting rather than plastic so itīs probably more robust than the others reviewed here. I donīt know if there are optical or other differences.

The lens auto-focuses fast because the throw is so small, but that makes it very difficult to manually focus. The macro mode locks the lens at 80mm & allows a far larger throw for focusing, so itīs easy to manually focus in macro mode.

The lens hood, very strangely, attaches to the barrel in such a way that it does not extend with the front element when zooming or focusing. When in macro mode the front element extends beyond the end of the hood, making it completely useless. The hood needs a bit of force to attach so itīs best left on & not removed, it doesnīt take up much extra space.

Iīve taken some good macros with the lens (it has 1:2 magnification). Itīs not the sharpest but decent & the colour is good.

The zoom ring is smooth, the focusing ring less so but not too bad.

For the money itīs a bargain, mainly for the macro function.

Registered: December, 2007
Location: In the most populated state... state of denial
Lens Review Date: July 27, 2009 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $75.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: weight, size
Cons: soft at 28

A decent lens, a bit heavy but produces better images than the Pentax in the same range.

Focusing is good and while the 28mm is a bit optimistic it works fine in both SLRs and DSLRs

Registered: May, 2009
Location: Hampton, VA
Lens Review Date: June 14, 2009 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $12.95 | Rating: 8

Pros: Light, compact and easy to use
Cons: Plastic mount

This lens at first looks kinda cheap, but it is not what it truely looks like. I dont like that is has a plastic mount but haveing the kinda macro function balances out nicely. Here are a few shots just using the macro.

Location: Nowhere Special
Lens Review Date: April 20, 2009 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $21.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Cheap, has decent macro abilities, sharp images at higher aperture
Cons: Terrible CA at lower than 8 aperture, dull colors, needs alot of light

At first I hated this lens, till I started using apertures above f8. f8 while normally is great on most lenses, this one seems to still suffer alot at f8. But when stopped down to f11 CA go away, and as long as you are focusing on closer objects diffraction doesn't seem to bother it very much.

+ the lens is so very cheap.

I think for macro this is a great alternative to higher priced. Also good for outdoor shots of objects before the point of infinity focus.

I think this lens is uniquely flawed making it pretty interesting to use.
Add Review of Sigma 28-80mm F3.5-5.6 Macro

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:22 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!