Third-Party Pentax Lenses - Reviews and Database » Sigma Lenses » Legacy Prime Lenses
Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC Review RSS Feed

Horizontal FOV: NA
Horizontal FOV on Digital: 45 degrees
Min. Aperture: F16
Optical Construction: 7 Elements in 7 Groups
Autofocus: Yes, screwdrive (the Pentax version lacks HSM)

This older version of the lens has an "EX" badge on the side.
Mount Type:

Add Review of Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 19

Registered: September, 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Lens Review Date: October 24, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $289.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Fast, Sharp, Solid and silent
Cons: Weight & Size, AF sometimes
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 8    Value: 9    Camera Used: K-3    New Or Used: New    Autofocus: 8

Excellent length and quite fast. I've had this lens for 6 years and its a keeper IMHO. I find that I do not reach for the DA35 unless I need something light that I don't worry about risking because the Sigma 30 is that much better. Colors are not as warm as many of the Pentax lenses but they aren't cold either. Is it an FA31? Don't own one but at about 40% the cost I'm not complaining. At f1.4 the DoF possibilities make this a wonderful lens to work with in isolating the subject. Low light performance, other than weaker AF, is excellent.

Location: Madrid, Spain
Lens Review Date: August 9, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $200.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Useful focal length, fast max aperture
Cons: Heavy, AF not reliable or accurate, not too sharp until f/2.8

When I originally looked for a good normal prime it was between this lens and the DA 35mm f/2.8 limited, and the limited won. A few years later I came across a copy of the Sigma for 200 and couldn't resist so I bought it and gave it a whirl on the K200D. I later sold it just before I bought my K3 and maybe I should have kept it for a while to see how it fared on that camera, but I didn't so I can only say how it performed on the K200D. Nevertheless, it served to prove my initial decision had been correct. The limited is a keeper, even if it is two stops slower.

Image quality is generally good but it's not sharp wide open and doesn't really get sharp until at least f/2.8, negating the advantage of the f/1.4 aperture, especially compared to the 35mm limited. Stopped down I had no complaints but saw no reason to keep it as the limited was better and sharper at f/2.8. AF was temperamental and could not be relied upon, though the K200D doesn't have the most advanced AF out there either, so some of that is surely down to the camera.

The Sigma is bigger and heavier than the Pentax too, so with the problems mentioned above there was no reason left to keep it.

I'd hesitatingly recommend this lens but with the caveat that only if you need that fast aperture and you're not bothered by it not being very sharp below f/2.8. Otherwise the DA 35mm limited, or the DAL 35mm f/2.4, are better options.

These days I have a Fujifilm X-M1 and Fujinon 35mm f/1.4 lens as my low light/small size combo. The Fujinon is what this Sigma wishes it was - small, very sharp even wide open, amazing rendering and bokeh - practically perfect in every way.

A size comparison with the 35mm f/2.4 (the 35mm limited is practically the same size):

IMGP5898a

Some sample images:

IMGP1663b

IMGP6063a

IMGP6082a

Registered: February, 2017
Lens Review Date: August 7, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Focal length, build quality, IQ,
Cons: AF in low light not reliable
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 9    Camera Used: K3    New Or Used: Used    Autofocus: 8

I bought this because I found a bargain 200 minty copy, and its in my preferred focal length range - 27 to 30mm on APSC. I already have its monstrous big brother the 28mm f1.8 macro, but was not using it so much due to its massive bulk, even though the IQ from that lens is superb. The 30mm is much more manageable! I did not buy it for its max aperture, which is a good thing as the AF in low light is not that reliable, which is the only downside to this lens that I could find, but what a downside if you bought it for low light shots. I get more keepers with my HD DA 35mm f2.8 macro in low light than with this Sigma.
However everything else about this lens is superb, especially when you use it as a general purpose walk about lens. IQ great. Colours great. AF accurate and fast enough, except for low light. Build quality good. Manual focus good. General handling and feel good especially on my K3 with a battery grip.
The aforementioned Sigma 28mm f1.8 is a better lens for low light and does give you a good close up facility, but it is a beast to carry around.
So with the caveat about its low light AF performance aside I would recommend this lens over the 28mm as you are more likely to carry it!

Registered: August, 2014

Lens Review Date: July 6, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $235.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: good value, very decent IQ, nice combo of focal length and apperture
Cons: not evident
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 8    Value: 10    Camera Used: K3

Recently I have decided to purchase this lens and I found awesome deal of used one on eBay. I do have a copy of SMC Pentax A 50 mm f1.4 and I knew what to expect from 1.4 as aperture setting. It could be a little challenging to get used to the dept of the field and for initial use you can score high amount not in focus images.
Having said that I have at f 1.4 about 95% success rate of auto focusing and on the scale of the calibration the lens is right on (no need for adjustment in camera). It is tack sharp right from 1.4. For the aberrations please look at the image of my son with the bright sun behind him(#4), IMHO the lens is doing great in such a harsh conditions.
This is definitely one of the best lenses in my bag and probably my favorite prime for the street.

IMGP2121 by

IMGP2117 by

IMGP2102 by

IMGP2096 by

IMGP2083 by

Registered: March, 2016
Lens Review Date: April 2, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $266.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Performance and price (if purchased used)
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 9    Camera Used: K5

I wanted a fast 'standard' lens and purchased one of these used after reading previous postings on this page. In the UK it coast me 199 in mint condition.

Location: Kristiansand S

Lens Review Date: March 21, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $500.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Good performance in low light, good contrast, nice bokeh
Cons: A litle hard to get used too
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 9    Camera Used: Pentax K-30

Nice lens when you get used to it. At first, i didn't get good pictures, but after a while i found out about it. It was a fun to use, got nice shots and the low light performance is excellent. The bokeh is wonderful, and with the nice ISO performance of Pentaxes, you got a lot of possibilities without flash.

Location: Canberra, Australia
Lens Review Date: February 5, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $300.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, small
Cons: A smidge heavy, long focus distance
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 8    Value: 10

This has really become my go-to lens. I'll always find a way to shoot with this lens before reaching for another.
It's beautifully sharp with stunning bokeh.

I just wish the focusing distance was a smidge closer to *really* use the 1.4 for DoF.

Lens Review Date: September 22, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $450.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Very Sharp from f2.8, contrast is very high
Cons: Focus problems, f1.4 not sharp
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 6    Handling: 9    Value: 8

I love and hate this lens

Registered: August, 2009
Location: NYC

Lens Review Date: January 20, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $349.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Fast, Affordable, Color rendition
Cons: Expensive not on sale, aspherical aberration, coma
Sharpness: 7    Aberrations: 6    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 7    Value: 10

Takes time to apply this lens correctly. Focus is challenging. Aspherical aberration and coma are pronounced. Not 100% satisfied with build quality either. I think I might have been happier with the 28mm Macro $350 is a great price point

Registered: July, 2009
Location: Saffron Walden, Essex
Lens Review Date: March 20, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $450.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Centre sharpness even when wide open, price, colours
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 8    Value: 10

Fantastic fast lens for a reasonable price. Useful 'normal' focal length. Great for indoor people pictures.

Soft corners at wider apertures, but to be frank this lens isn't about sharp corners, it's all about the centre sharpness and tiny depth of field!

1:1 crop of picture taken at f1.4:

Location: Brisbane

Lens Review Date: January 3, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $420.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharpness wide open, bokeh
Cons:
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 7    Value: 9

Ive had this lens for over 6 months now.
This lens is sharp from wide open. There is something about this lens that gives a "3D" look to the images it produces, it renders subjects with great isolation making it perfect for portraits and shallow DOF photography. The extreme borders to lack abit but shooting at wide apertures they probably wont be in focus anyway!
It also has excellent flare control, prehaps even better than the Pentax DA15.

I choose this lens over the FA31 because I liked the way this lens renders images over the FA31 (which lacks the 3D isolation pop IMO)

Good review here comparing them both (Sigma beats it even in bokeh!)-

A few of my samples-

Registered: March, 2011

Lens Review Date: April 26, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: image quality, speed, build quality
Cons: size, no HSM

I am a very happy owner of this lens. It is amazingly sharp at f/1.4 - search the net for 100% crops and you will see what I mean. Colors, contrast, speed, image quality by the truckload. It is perfect.
It is a little big and heavy, but the build quality is awesome.

I've read that the sharpness is concentrated at the center through all apertures, but at f/1.4 I'm guessing you'd have to be shooting brick walls to detect that sort of thing.

The newer version I have does not have the matte finish all over the barrel and is smooth plastic on the back half. My copy seems to be good and I have no focus issues (and I am pretty obsessive about that kind of thing).

Location: adelaide
Lens Review Date: February 4, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $439.00 | Rating: N/A

Pros: sharp, quick focus, nice bokeh
Cons: no hsm, no quick shift. this is the current specs from sigma

pros:
sharp image. quick focus, nice bokeh.

cons
Misleading advertisement for Pentax ( also sony/ minolta) Neither HSM nor quick shift features offered as per Sigma spec but still carry the same price w/ Hsm.
Quick focus albeit louder screw drive compared the kit lens DAL 18-55.
Nevertheless, after owning this lens for a few days, it somehow grown on me.
Being a 'Learner' on dslr, this lens gave good results with ease.

sample pixs attached, taken on factory preset 'program' mode with flash. no touchups as i'm still learning.

would've scored 9-10, if it had the full spec. feature.

Location: Vaughan, Ontario
Lens Review Date: November 16, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $320.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp right from F1.4, fast AF, solid build, creamy bokeh, amazing low-light performance (obviously), perfect size/weight.
Cons: akward to hold - i often find my hand resting on the focus ring, no HSM on pentax, no quick-shift focus for AF override.

I saw this lens for sale in the marketplace and I'm so happy i bought it. Astounding image quality as expected from the EX series.
Here are some shots, all wide-open:

Location: Vietnam
Lens Review Date: November 13, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: N/A

Pros:
Cons:

Please help me.
I have just bought this len Sigma 30mm 1:1.4 DC HSM.

In box said for pentax AF, in cap said for SA/PKR. Serial No. 102 1326 but it is not fit in my K7. I don't know how to install this len in my K7.

Please Help me
Add Review of Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:55 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!