Third-Party Pentax Lenses - Reviews and Database » Sigma Lenses » Legacy Prime Lenses
Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC Review RSS Feed

Horizontal FOV: NA
Horizontal FOV on Digital: 45 degrees
Min. Aperture: F16
Optical Construction: 7 Elements in 7 Groups
Autofocus: Yes, screwdrive (the Pentax version lacks HSM)

This older version of the lens has an "EX" badge on the side.
Mount Type:

Add Review of Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 16

Registered: August, 2014

Lens Review Date: July 6, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $235.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: good value, very decent IQ, nice combo of focal length and apperture
Cons: not evident
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 8    Value: 10    Camera Used: K3

Recently I have decided to purchase this lens and I found awesome deal of used one on eBay. I do have a copy of SMC Pentax A 50 mm f1.4 and I knew what to expect from 1.4 as aperture setting. It could be a little challenging to get used to the dept of the field and for initial use you can score high amount not in focus images.
Having said that I have at f 1.4 about 95% success rate of auto focusing and on the scale of the calibration the lens is right on (no need for adjustment in camera). It is tack sharp right from 1.4. For the aberrations please look at the image of my son with the bright sun behind him(#4), IMHO the lens is doing great in such a harsh conditions.
This is definitely one of the best lenses in my bag and probably my favorite prime for the street.

IMGP2121 by

IMGP2117 by

IMGP2102 by

IMGP2096 by

IMGP2083 by

Registered: March, 2016
Lens Review Date: April 2, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $266.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Performance and price (if purchased used)
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 9    Camera Used: K5

I wanted a fast 'standard' lens and purchased one of these used after reading previous postings on this page. In the UK it coast me £199 in mint condition.

Location: Kristiansand S

Lens Review Date: March 21, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $500.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Good performance in low light, good contrast, nice bokeh
Cons: A litle hard to get used too
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 9    Camera Used: Pentax K-30

Nice lens when you get used to it. At first, i didn't get good pictures, but after a while i found out about it. It was a fun to use, got nice shots and the low light performance is excellent. The bokeh is wonderful, and with the nice ISO performance of Pentaxes, you got a lot of possibilities without flash.

Location: Canberra, Australia
Lens Review Date: February 5, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $300.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, small
Cons: A smidge heavy, long focus distance
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 8    Value: 10

This has really become my go-to lens. I'll always find a way to shoot with this lens before reaching for another.
It's beautifully sharp with stunning bokeh.

I just wish the focusing distance was a smidge closer to *really* use the 1.4 for DoF.

Lens Review Date: September 22, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $450.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Very Sharp from f2.8, contrast is very high
Cons: Focus problems, f1.4 not sharp
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 6    Handling: 9    Value: 8

I love and hate this lens

Registered: August, 2009
Location: NYC

Lens Review Date: January 20, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $349.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Fast, Affordable, Color rendition
Cons: Expensive not on sale, aspherical aberration, coma
Sharpness: 7    Aberrations: 6    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 7    Value: 10

Takes time to apply this lens correctly. Focus is challenging. Aspherical aberration and coma are pronounced. Not 100% satisfied with build quality either. I think I might have been happier with the 28mm Macro $350 is a great price point

Registered: July, 2009
Location: Saffron Walden, Essex
Lens Review Date: March 20, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $450.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Centre sharpness even when wide open, price, colours
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 8    Value: 10

Fantastic fast lens for a reasonable price. Useful 'normal' focal length. Great for indoor people pictures.

Soft corners at wider apertures, but to be frank this lens isn't about sharp corners, it's all about the centre sharpness and tiny depth of field!

1:1 crop of picture taken at f1.4:

Location: Brisbane

Lens Review Date: January 3, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $420.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharpness wide open, bokeh
Cons:
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 7    Value: 9

Ive had this lens for over 6 months now.
This lens is sharp from wide open. There is something about this lens that gives a "3D" look to the images it produces, it renders subjects with great isolation making it perfect for portraits and shallow DOF photography. The extreme borders to lack abit but shooting at wide apertures they probably wont be in focus anyway!
It also has excellent flare control, prehaps even better than the Pentax DA15.

I choose this lens over the FA31 because I liked the way this lens renders images over the FA31 (which lacks the 3D isolation pop IMO)

Good review here comparing them both (Sigma beats it even in bokeh!)-

A few of my samples-

Registered: March, 2011

Lens Review Date: April 26, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: image quality, speed, build quality
Cons: size, no HSM

I am a very happy owner of this lens. It is amazingly sharp at f/1.4 - search the net for 100% crops and you will see what I mean. Colors, contrast, speed, image quality by the truckload. It is perfect.
It is a little big and heavy, but the build quality is awesome.

I've read that the sharpness is concentrated at the center through all apertures, but at f/1.4 I'm guessing you'd have to be shooting brick walls to detect that sort of thing.

The newer version I have does not have the matte finish all over the barrel and is smooth plastic on the back half. My copy seems to be good and I have no focus issues (and I am pretty obsessive about that kind of thing).

Location: adelaide
Lens Review Date: February 4, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $439.00 | Rating: N/A

Pros: sharp, quick focus, nice bokeh
Cons: no hsm, no quick shift. this is the current specs from sigma

pros:
sharp image. quick focus, nice bokeh.

cons
Misleading advertisement for Pentax ( also sony/ minolta) Neither HSM nor quick shift features offered as per Sigma spec but still carry the same price w/ Hsm.
Quick focus albeit louder screw drive compared the kit lens DAL 18-55.
Nevertheless, after owning this lens for a few days, it somehow grown on me.
Being a 'Learner' on dslr, this lens gave good results with ease.

sample pixs attached, taken on factory preset 'program' mode with flash. no touchups as i'm still learning.

would've scored 9-10, if it had the full spec. feature.

Location: Vaughan, Ontario
Lens Review Date: November 16, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $320.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp right from F1.4, fast AF, solid build, creamy bokeh, amazing low-light performance (obviously), perfect size/weight.
Cons: akward to hold - i often find my hand resting on the focus ring, no HSM on pentax, no quick-shift focus for AF override.

I saw this lens for sale in the marketplace and I'm so happy i bought it. Astounding image quality as expected from the EX series.
Here are some shots, all wide-open:

Location: Vietnam
Lens Review Date: November 13, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: N/A

Pros:
Cons:

Please help me.
I have just bought this len Sigma 30mm 1:1.4 DC HSM.

In box said for pentax AF, in cap said for SA/PKR. Serial No. 102 1326 but it is not fit in my K7. I don't know how to install this len in my K7.

Please Help me

Registered: December, 2009
Location: Kansas City
Lens Review Date: August 11, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $350.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: 1.4
Cons: low light focusing

The Sigma 30 1.4 is my most used lens, not particularly because of the quality but 30mm works for me. I have the 43 limited and think the 43 is a much better lens in terms of quality. The Sigma has a tough time focusing in low light. When it does lock it is extremely sharp. My copy will not focus correctly with selective focusing, only works with the center focus points. All in all, canít beat it for the price.

Registered: February, 2010
Location: UK
Lens Review Date: May 4, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Low light ability
Cons: Filter size

Right now it's my most used lens. You can take this to a dance / bar / night out and snap some unreal shots. Would make a perfect wedding lens / glued onto the camera lens for walking about.

Some reviews say it's 'extreme' corner sharpness isn't great. What that means is that in the four corners, there is a hint of reduced IQ, and I'm talking the extreme corners, and only maybe 40 pixels in from the top right, top left, bottom right and bottom left corners. It's perfectly fine on the top, bottom, left and right edges. However the beautiful bokeh hides any extreme corner sharpness 'issues', and I've yet to find a printed image where you can actually see them. Even pixel peeping I don't notice them in real life tests.

If you're buying a lens to shoot at a resolution target, you may be disappointed with the extreme edges, but who buys a 30mm f1.4 for superior edge resolution. To give you an idea of where the 'edges' I'm talking about are, take a look at the link below. The lack of sharpness is at the furtherest away from the centre grid, and only the one farthest away. http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/sigma_50_1p4_c16/page4.asp (not for the 30mm, but you get the point)

On my camera more often tham my DA* 50-135mm, so that's saying something! Also, there is no HSM Sigma 30mm F1.4 (at least that I know of). So the title of this is a bit misleading.

Below is a shot with no flash, shot in a basement bar which had only very poor lighting in it. Shot was handheld - this is why I got this lens!

Registered: March, 2009
Location: Boston
Lens Review Date: August 12, 2009 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $560.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Tack sharp, awesome bokeh, vivid colors
Cons: Manual focus fine-tuning not possibe in autofocus mode

Simply excellent lens. I totally love this. Excellent for use indoors or low-light environment. The bokeh is just divine. I find the color range to be very nice and vivid. Definitely worth the $$$.
The only downside I see is that even though the manual says that you can use the manual focus ring for fine focusing when the lens is in auto-focus mode, the ring is locked and this is not possible. I find it a bit cumbersome to get to the awkwardly placed autofocus button on my k-m to get any fine-tuning done.

Some sample pics taken during the Cherry blossom festival in Washington DC. These are scaled down and low qual, let me know if I should post the better quality jpegs.

Add Review of Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:06 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!