Third-Party Pentax Lenses - Reviews and Database » Sigma Lenses » Current Prime Lenses
Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM (Art) Review RSS Feed

7.9
 6.6
7 35,473 Fri May 26, 2017

Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM (Art)

The Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM A, part of the new Sigma Global Vision lens lineup, is a quality prime lens with a "standard" field of view optimized for APS-C cameras.

It was announced and launched for Sigma, Canon, and Nikon cameras in 2013. On February 10, 2014, Sigma Japan announced that this popular lens would also be released for Pentax and Sony.

This lens replaces the now-discontinued Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC.

Lens Construction: 9 Elements in 8 Groups, 1 Aspherical element
Angle of View: 50.7
Aperture Diaphragm: 9 Blades (rounded)
Mininum Aperture: F16
Minimum Focusing Distance: 30 cm / 11.8 in
Filter Size: 62mm
Maximum Magnification: 1:6.8
Dimensions (DxL): 74.2 x 63.3mm / 2.9 x 2.5in
Weight: 435g / 15.3 oz.
Price: $499
Mounts: Sigma, Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony
Focusing System: HSM (in-lens motor)
Pentax Mount Designation: KAF3
Buy Lens: Buy the Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM (Art)
In-Depth Review: Read our Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM (Art) in-depth review!
Price: $499
Mount Type:

Add Review of Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM (Art) Buy the Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM (Art)
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-7 of 7

Registered: July, 2015
Lens Review Date: May 26, 2017 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: $400.00 | Rating: 5

Pros: Versatile focal length and aperture, decent IQ
Cons: Pants-on-head-retarded AF, purple fringing
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 6    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 3    Handling: 7    Value: 7    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K5II

The sharpness is good, sure, but not worth playing Sigma Autofocus Roulette for.

Doesn't matter how carefully I calibrated the microadjustment, the lens would randomly miss focus completely on maybe 4/10 shots. Good light, bad light, BBAF, centre point only, nothing made a difference. i don't mean it was slightly soft or it locked focus on the background etc, I mean it'd be a totally unfocused, unusable shot. Tried using it for one model shoot and the a commercial job, and immediately sent it back. For 300 this should be the best damned walkaround lens on the planet, but Sigma's crappy AF makes it impossible to trust.

The detail and rendering is nice even at f1.4, but this comes at the price of pretty severe purple fringing, which seems to get WORSE as you stop down. Bizarre, I can only assume Sigma is building the ART lenses to look good in the all-important MTF charts rather than as balanced, useful tools.

If, like me, you're reading this thinking 'I'll be able to live with the dodgy AF if the image quality is really good'...trust me, you won't. This isn't something you can fix with microadjustment, the USB dock, focusing technique etc, it's just inconsistent. By all means give it a try, but only from a retailer with a decent returns policy.

Registered: December, 2014

Lens Review Date: June 15, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $345.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Sharp, nice designed, quite, comfortable to hold with lens hood attached, affordable, good in low light
Cons: bit short for big hands to hold without lenshood, unreliable AF, not weathersealed, heavy
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 5    Handling: 8    Value: 8    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-30

As my first prime lens, i am sort of underwhelmed but still amazed by it's performance. I was looking for a replacement for the DAL 18-55mm f3.5 kit lens as light travel compagnion. Well, the Sigma is quite heavy for it's size BUT its extremely well build and definitely looks nice on camera. But still feels like it would weigh more than the K-30's body ... "Why would you get a Sigma Art Lense for light travel?" some might ask. Because I feel arty myself, that's why. And it strengthens your arms!

After a lot of time fiddeling around, producing unusable pictures and learning how to work with it, it produces beautiful results! Step down to f5,6 and you can crop the *$# out of the pictures. Though a bit of barrel distortion, some vignetting and the colours it produces make for some fine, arty looking pictures.

As I said, I purchased it as walk around travel lens. When shooting the streets, you don't scare people with focus noise (the K-30's shutter will do that for you) and you got that one opportunity to fire at animals, before they flee. Its 30mm focal length is wide enough for landscapes and where possible, zooming in with your feet is always a fun thing to do.

So let me address my one and only problem what makes this lense quite hateful: The AF. If you use Live View, contrast autofocus will does its job perfectly, even at f1.4 and your object some meters away. Well, if you use the viewfinder, this lens will miss a lot of shots from f1.4 to at least f2.8. A LOT. Some are precise, some are not.
So it makes you start working on you MF-skills, so i would to some degree recommend the lens for rookies like me. This time, the machine will NOT do everything for you, oh no. Think for yourself! Want prefocus? You got the focus-distance-scale on the barrel and anticipate what's going on in front of the lens. Got lazy because of super-zooms? Use your feet to get into action.

And one last thing: It feels af if contrast autofocus and phase detection work the same speed.

Got other primes? No need for this one. Want your first prime and you feel, the big "A" on this lens appeals to what you want to achieve with your camera, go for this lense!

Some examples:

EDIT: Downgraded Autofocus (-1) and overall rating (-1) after a bit more usage.

Registered: June, 2014
Location: Montreal
Lens Review Date: December 5, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Wide aperture, doesn't feel cheap
Cons: auto-focus hunts and inaccurate
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 7    Handling: 9    Value: 9    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-3

Fantastic lens! Very sharp wide open (when you manage to get the focus right). Great for portraits, low light situations.
I already had an old Pentax A50 f1.4 which was producing soft shots wide open due to diffraction issues. Also, 50mm was getting a bit too narrow on aps-c. 30mm is just perfect.
The lens is a pleasure to use, very well constructed. The auto focus definitely has issues, but I think this kind of lens works best in manual focus anyways.

Location: North Carolina

Lens Review Date: May 22, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $490.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, HSM focusing, somewhat compact
Cons: Still bigger than I like for K-01, CA wide open, focusing issues on DSLRs
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 8    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-01, K-5II, K-30, K-r, K-x

If you are looking for a fast lens with "standard" Field of View on APS-C and HSM focusing, there aren't a lot of choices, and even fewer that weigh less than 500g/1 lb (my limit for use on a K-01). The Art 30 is a very good lens, and can get excellent results, but you need to be aware of its limitations. Wide open, in bright light or with high-contrast subjects, there is chromatic aberration/purple fringing even in the center. Corners are sharper than the older Sigma EX 30, although still a little soft at wide apertures (and CA adds to that).

It's kind of large for a walk around lens and not subtle at all with the hood installed. It is flare resistant enough to use without the hood even outdoors in bright sunlight.

I can confirm the slow AF/no AF problem on newer DSLRs, but it only seems to happen in 11-point/5-point auto-select AF mode. Using center point or select-point AF, the lens focuses as fast as any of my screw drive lenses. The K-01 does not have any problems with this lens.

Link to my (lengthy) review of the Art 30 in the SLR Lens Discussion section:

Registered: May, 2014
Lens Review Date: May 22, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great sharpness. Beautiful bokeh.
Cons: nothing
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: Pentax K-3

I am totally impressed by this lens. I rarely had a lens that already so can be a great sharpness at maximum aperture. With the auto focus so far I could not detect any problems. In contrast to other statements, the autofocus is true for most images.

Registered: March, 2014

Lens Review Date: April 11, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $499.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Very sharp, superb built, nice feel, accurate focus
Cons: Min focusing distance longer than spec
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: Pentax k-01

I have been using this lens on my pentax k-01 for over 3 weeks now. I don't have any focussing issues per se. I have tried 90% of my shots in very very low light just to put this through the ringer. It does struggle when focus distance is under 2 feet. Sometimes I have to go manual to get it to focus very close. It is possible that the min focusing distance is more than what the lens spec says. It is very sharp wide open and superbly built. Beautiful lens. Not sure if this is because k01 is mirrorless and used only CDAF done by the camera software. I love it so far.

Registered: May, 2010
Location: Viet Nam

Lens Review Date: March 21, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $500.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: very sharp, 1.4, modern colorful, fill the lack fix 30 of Pentax
Cons: Ca from 1.4 - 2 (not important because of Lightroom), HSM very silly
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 5    Handling: 9    Value: 8    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K3

I need a wide lens with large open Apeture 1.4 ( only SMC FA 31 1.8 but too expensive) so I decided to buy the only cheaper lens.... It's Sigma 30 1.4 Art.
That's great and exciting more and more.
The Sharpness 's so surprised...i'm very very satisfied...on my K3 (no AA filter)
color made strong impression on me.
But the AF on lens 's very stupid, slower than DA * 55..with my K3, I am trying to find the way to increase the speed and the accurate AF HSM...
Some Pics take from my lens ( max apeture 1.4)

Add Review of Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM (Art) Buy the Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM (Art)

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:56 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!