Third-Party Pentax Lenses - Reviews and Database » Sigma Lenses » Legacy Zoom Lenses
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 APO EX Review RSS Feed

filter diameter (mm) 77
length (mm at infinity) 183.5
maximum diameter (mm) 86
weight (g) 1270

Discontinued. Succeeded by the Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG II HSM.
Mount Type:

Add Review of Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 APO EX
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 23

Registered: May, 2014
Location: Galway - Ireland

Lens Review Date: June 2, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $550.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, IQ and colors, focal range, rather cheap now
Cons:
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: K3    Autofocus: 9

WHO IS IT FOR ?
The 70-200mm f/2.8 is probably one of the most common lenses for pro use (with the 24-70mm f/2.8) because it covers a great range for portrait, sports or concert purpose.

HANDLING
This lens is really huge compared to the limited Pentax primes. With the hood on, it is really long and fat.
It weigh also a lot if you are not used to such lenses.
Handling is nice with a relatively smooth focus ring that can be pushed or pull for AF/MF.
The focal ring is a bit harder which mean that you should not use this lens for video.
The tripod collar is easy to put and remove and sometimes very usefull.

AUTOFOCUS
The autofocus is precise. Focusing is rather fast for most uses. I even used it for sports and it was very decent.
The AF system is faster when the focus ring is on AF.

IMAGE QUALITY

>SHARPNESS
This lens is quite sharp from wide open. If you compare it with some excellent prime lenses, the sharpness of this zoom is not as good.
But for a zoom with this aperture, the result is really great ! I noticed that the sharpness was better on the long end than on the short one.
I would say that from f/4 you have top sharp results everywhere and at f/2.8 the best focal length for sharpness is around 150mm

>BOKEH
Bokehs are great and soft, at 200mm f/2.8 it can be really amazing !

>CHROMA ABERRATIONS
Some green fringing can be visible around high contrast edges. Most of the time it is easy to correct it and for most pictures the result is even acceptable.

>FLARE
Can be sensitive to flare, but under extreme conditions. A little ghost can be visible also at night.

>COLOR RENDITION
Neutral/warm ! Great colors

>DISTORSION
There is no visible distorsion for this lens for everyday use which is great !

>VIGNETING
Nothing to care about !

CONCLUSION
Maybe this review sounds like it is not a killer lens. But honnestly it is and you won't regret it if you can find a copy.
With the release of the Pentax 70-200mm f/2.8 there will probably be lots of copies of sigma 70-200mm on the second hand market, and it is definitly an amazing value for money. One last thing about the weight of the lens : it is surely an issue for most peoples because carrying a 1.3kg lens seems horrible. Well, you just need to get used to it, that's all

SAMPLE PICTURES

Registered: October, 2012
Location: Ploiesti, Romania
Lens Review Date: June 13, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Lack of common optical aberation
Cons: Weight, but you can get used to
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 8    Value: 10

I have recently bought this lens and I was expecting not very much, but better than my old Tamron 70-300 F4-5.6. But this lens has exceeded my expectations. I submitted a sample of the heaviest, ie the star test at F2.8. Almost no chromatic aberrations, no coma, almost very present in other lenses, and the ability to gather light in short time was excellent.

Of course it's heavy. But I got used to it very quickly in a week. Especially after I put a vertical grip on my K-5 camera.

Altogether,after those test, it is hard for me to think to a lens much slower than this.

I will try to post photos taken with this lens at F2, 8, after i will succed to upload some photo to the gallery. Still, I don't know how.

Registered: July, 2012
Location: Far North Qld, Australia

Lens Review Date: April 23, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $580.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp, fast, solid construction.
Cons: Heavy.
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 8    Value: 10

This is an excellent lens. Its very sharp across the range with a useful f2.8 aperture. Its of solid construction albeit quite heavy.
I have the original EX APO version, before they added the macro feature and HSM motor. Many people feel that this lens is among the better of the versions and i tend to agree. Ive been searching for one for a long time but it seems those who own it are reluctant to give it up.

Ive noticed very minimal chromatic aberrations. It does not like shooting into direct sunlight. Auto focus is fast and accurate. Switching to manual focus involves pulling the lens barrel towards you to release the AF lock. I would have preferred a switch but thats just me. The lens does not creep at all. Bokeh is buttery smooth.

Being part of Sigmas APO series, the quality really shows. This lens is suited to a tripod or monopod due to its heavy nature, and i found that it is fast enough for the weight not to detract from the sharp images (ie cause blur). Often times, being heavy helps keep it stable.

I use it with the K-30. Normally, im a huge fan of the K-30 grip, but after shooting for a while with this lens, my fingers start to hurt due to the deep grip and heavy lens. I think thats more to do with my technique; im used to holding the K-30 almost one handed. I have to get into the habit of using my left hand to support the lens barrel. This also gives me more stable, sharper shots.

I can highly recommend this lens. If you can live without the macro feature and hsm motor, then this is a potentially optically superior version of this excellent lens. If you get the chance to buy one, i would.

Here are some photos taken with this lens and the K-30 in the late afternoon

Location: Portland, OR
Lens Review Date: December 2, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Well built and designed. Sharp!
Cons: None.
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10

I have nothing negative to say about this lens. It has performed splendidly. I usually use it wide open or stopped down a stop or two. I don't know why others say it is heavy. I find it to be very lightweight. I have older, smaller lenses that are considerably heavier. There are now four versions of this lens. I have and use the first version. It's VERY good. Quite large, but also quite light in weight.

Kiron Kid

Registered: March, 2009
Location: winnipeg, mb
Lens Review Date: December 2, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $275.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Feels solid, quick focus, good build
Cons: Heavy for hand hold
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10

True I only paid $275 for this lens so maybes review is skewed as a result of getting a great deal. Bought this in Indonesia.

I had been waiting and waiting for Pentax to issue a new 70-200 2.8 lens and came upon this lens. I have tried some of the newer sigma 2.8 lens and was impressed, but not pressed enough to buy if Pentax was coming out with their own new version. From my first shot, I knew this lens was fantastic, even when zooming in 10 times, great sharpness for what I will shoot (birds for my wife and my kids indoor swim meets). I like the challenge of shooting birds because they are in-predictable and you need a quick lens and be ready. So for outdoors this lens has been excellent.

Where this lens would earns its money if I was doing it for money is indoors for my kids swim meets. Absolutely fantastic, freeze the water excellent Bkn and no chromatic abb that I have seen, I do not use the hood either. Shot at ISO (400-1600) Shutter (126-250) shake reduction "on" and Ap as close to 2.8 as I can get (I do use my light meter to get an initial reading on the lighting as all indoor pools are not lighted equally).

I would still like to see a new Pentax version, but for the cost am more than happy with this lens, true the shortest distance I can shoot is about 6 ft, but I would really never use this lens for close up work (less than 10 ft) as their is no field of view there.

I also have a Sigma 2times converter/extension tube, so at 400/5.6 this lens a great for long reach, the ext tube on this lens just makes macro stuff funny and let's you try different things

I hope this review helps someone out

Cheers

Registered: June, 2008
Location: Holy Land
Lens Review Date: January 27, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $750.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Vibrant color, Solid built, sharp, nice bokeh
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10

I just picked up this lens, it's a EX DG pre-Macro version, so the built quality and the finish are just superb.
After 10 months of using this lens on a K10 and k20 cameras I am still amazed by this piece of glass.
The images it produces are tack sharp, rich in detail at all focal lengths and at all apertures. I tried this with the Pentax 1.7 TC with very goood result. It balances well with my K10 and k20 cameras. For the price I paid, I am a happy shooter.

Location: adelaide
Lens Review Date: January 10, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $699.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: solid lens
Cons: could do with weather resistant
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 9

This lens was on special in Aust with local warranty. It was a steal. superb lens. Fast focus. Great bokeh, no flare evident. Good for just about everything. Never leave home without it.
I only wish it was weather resistant.

Registered: May, 2011
Location: Richmond, Virginia USA
Lens Review Date: January 10, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $475.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Fast focus, excellent picture quality
Cons: noisy autofocus
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10

please be nice since i am a newbie to this sight, not to pentax. forgot to mention i am talking about the non dg model.
the gods must have been watching over me because i found this lens at a bargain. i was disappointed when i first received it because it had some dust inside the lens but i soon realized the dust had no impact on the photo quality. i have been using it for bird and nature shots as well as outdoor sports and has pretty much stayed on my K5 camera since i got it. i also purchased prior to this lens a 50-500 sigma which i think is awesome but have to say i prefer this 70-200. less weight, fits perfectly in my hands, have used it with the 2x converter and am extremely pleased with the quality. if i saw another one for sale i would buy it in a second. i have noticed others commenting on how quiet the focus is so maybe that is why i got it so cheap. i still love it!!!

Registered: July, 2010
Location: Piermont, NH
Lens Review Date: June 22, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $900.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Good glass, very quiet.
Cons: Heavy
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 8    Value: 8

I just got the lens within a week or so and love it. I will love it more after using it more. It's zoom is very quiet and although it is heavy I am able to handle it very well. I've done more outdoor portraits with it than photographing nature, which is why I bought it.

Registered: June, 2008
Location: Tustin, CA
Lens Review Date: July 1, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, Fast focus, Easy to remove tripod collar, good CA control, Good build quality
Cons: Not very contrasty (but fixable with a bit of PP), Lame Sigma Focus Clutch

I got the EX APO non-DG version. This lens is great. It's sharp from f2.8, even at 200mm. The AF is super fast if you uncouple the focus ring. The contrast is a bit low, however, but some fiddling with Curves in Lightroom will fix that up easily.

The tripod collar slips off very easily. The focus ring cclutch mechanism is cool in theory, since you can decouple the ring and AF. However, if you set the ring to AF and the body to MF, you get No-F, and if you put the ring to MF and body to AF, you get Slow-F.

All in all, a great buy

Registered: December, 2009
Lens Review Date: April 21, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp and contrasty

Mine is the DG pre-Macro version. I bought one of these previously when shooting with a Minolta Maxxum 9. When comparing it to the Minolta HS-G 80-200/2.8 I found that while it was weaker at the short end it was sharper at 200mm than the excellent Minolta so I bought it instead. Did not regret it as I do more at the telephoto end. When shopping for one for my K20D I looked for and found a pre-Macro model. This is because the 200mm sharpness was compromised by Sigma when they added a longer focusing group for macro. There is no free lunch.
I use thie lens a lot for just about every kind of work. Balances good when using a vertical grip on the camera which I always use.
Kent Gittings

Registered: May, 2009
Location: Atlanta
Lens Review Date: July 31, 2009 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $779.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Ultra-quiet, quick focus. Great IQ. Good "feel".
Cons: Can't think of any, yet.

Started looking at 70-200 2.8 lenses couple of years ago. Thought I'd wind up with the Tamron, due to lower cost; however, lack of high-speed focusing motor is a big downer for me.

Just got the Sigma lens in today. Some folks have posted complaints that there's no red alignment dot on the lens to match up with the camera body. My lens came with a white dot. Doesn't matter to me whether the dot's white or red.

Just did a few test shots today. Pretty impressed so far.

Location: Bedfordshire, UK
Lens Review Date: January 21, 2009 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $1,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Inner zoom and focusing, image quality, built quality, tripod collar
Cons: none... (well, after an hour it is a bit heavy to hold)

Excellent lens. I have the first version (APO EX; ser. nr: 3) without DG, macro or HSM features but I do not miss these shiny bits. The lens performs very well anyway, so no need for them. Both on analog and digital medium it simply does the job without compromise. The positive aspect of this old dog, that it still has an aperture ring, so I can even use it on my MX or Super A body without any restriction (less AF). Unfortunately Sigma made a step backward concerning aperture ring, as the latest versions miss this feature.

Registered: January, 2008
Location: Maple Ridge BC Canada
Lens Review Date: October 7, 2008 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $900.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Fast and quite focus

I have now used this lens for just over a month and have been extremely happy with the results. Focus is smooth and quite. Shape at all ranges and the Marco is ok but prefer the Tamron 90mm. If you are shooting for a few hours would recommend a monipod or tri-pod as the lens is a little heavy, which over a short time makes it harder to focus hand held. For the dollar versus preformance, it is well worth the money. Would hightly recommend and for me it is worth the $$'s. JIMBO

Registered: November, 2007
Location: Bay area, CA
Lens Review Date: August 16, 2008 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $750.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: fast and sharp.
Cons: big and heavy

i have the DG version, screw drive mechanism focus is plenty fast enough with the familiar buzzing sound. Really sharp wide open at 70 thru 135mm, at 200mm, it's dreamy at f2.8 but sharpens up nicely 1 stop down (f4). Works wonderful with the matching Sigma 1.4X...

It's a big piece of glass. you'll definitely feel it on your neck if you walk around with this thing. I guess that is the price you have to pay for FF fast glass.

Regarding focusing accuracy: Since i've upgraded to the K20D, this lens really shine. I notice a much improved focus accuracy, as it is very important with telephoto lens.
Add Review of Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 APO EX

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:47 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!