Third-Party Pentax Lenses - Reviews and Database » Sigma Lenses » Legacy Zoom Lenses
Sigma 70-210mm F4-5.6 UC Review RSS Feed

7.8
 8.2
10 59,114 Tue November 1, 2016

Sigma 70-210mm F4-5.6 UC

Sigma 70-210mm f4-5.6 UC, multi-coated, made in Japan, 52mm filter threads.

. "Macro" close-focus ratio of 1:4.7 at 210mm. This manual focus lens has "A" setting for automatic aperture modes like Program & TV. Not to be confused with the 70-210mm f4-5.6 UCII.
Mount Type:

Add Review of Sigma 70-210mm F4-5.6 UC
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-10 of 10

Registered: October, 2016
Lens Review Date: November 1, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $10.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Solid Build, Firm Zoom Action, nice IQ
Cons: Small testy manual focus ring, AF hunts a bit
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 7    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-S2    Autofocus: 8

I acquired this lens as part of an auction for a SF1 film camera. I Bought it for the Pentax 35-70 lens and was going to sell the Sigma with the camera. However when I went to test the lens I found the shots are sharp, with good color and contrast. I took the photo below from across my yard and when I saw it realized I need to keep the lens.

Registered: September, 2012
Lens Review Date: January 2, 2016 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: None indicated | Rating: 3

Pros:
Cons:
Value: 3

I have one of these lenses, bought new, which I used on my K1000 for a short period. One day, just out of warranty, it fell apart in my hands. I would be leery of the build quality. I still have all the parts, but it is not worthwhile paying to have it rebuilt. I dug it out of the drawer recently and gave it to my daughter's high school photography teacher who remarked to me that it would be fun to have an old lens to take apart and show the class how a lens was put together.

Lens Review Date: November 26, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp
Cons: Occasional sticky rubber on barrel
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10

For your money this lens is superb . I use this as my default mid zoom range on my Pentax K5 . Surprisingly good in low light . Lovely bokeh . Great for portraits and pet shots . Good colours .
I have 2 of these lenses . I paid only 10/15 for on eBay . In fact I have sold off several of the newer digital sigma lenses in preference for this older lens.

If you can get a calendar one without the decay of the rubber on the barrel you won't regret it.

Lens Review Date: September 22, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $15.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great images at a great price.
Cons: no resistance on manual focus ring
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 8    Value: 10

I paid a whopping $15 for this lens when I got my first Pentax DSLR a little over a year ago to supplement the 18-55mm kit lens that came with it. I really wasn't sure what to expect, but I knew the good reputation of Sigma lenses and I figured that for the price, I had little to lose. As it turned out, I ended up getting much more than my money's worth. I've been very pleased with the images I've captured with this lens.

This lens gets a little bit of a bad rap for having a push-pull zoom mechanism, but that's not a problem for me as the zoom lenses I had for my 35mm SLRs worked exactly the same way. My only real criticism of the lens is there's almost no resistance to the manual focus ring. I'm not sure whether that's typical of this model or a quirk of my particular copy.

UPDATE: It's hard to believe I've had this lens for four years now. It's still one of my favorites. Ever since I got it, I've wanted to find the original hood to go with it and this week, that wish came true when I spotted the identical lens with a Nikon mount, including the shade, on eBay and picked it up for $18, including shipping. I figured the Nikon mount would make it pretty easy to flip and own the shade for little or nothing. And I was right! I sold the lens--sans shade--last night for $24.50, plus shipping. So now I have the lens with its hood for a net cost of about $9. That's a sweet deal in my book. I'm happy to have the proper shade that doesn't cast a shadow around the edges of the frame. I also determined that the lack of tension on the focus ring must be common to that lens as the one on the Nikon mount lens is only slightly tighter than on mine.

Registered: April, 2013
Location: St. Louis, MO

Lens Review Date: May 1, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $59.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Cheap, sharp, compact, good color
Cons: focus ring is short throw can be touchy in manual focus
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 8    Value: 10

I actually got this to use on my film body MX that was my main shooter. It was cheap, and I didn't have a zoom. I didn't expect much, but when the pic's came back - in this case Fuji Superia 400, negatives scanned at a pro shop, I was really impressed with the look, the sharpness, the color, the generally appealing feel. Here are a few shots of a stopped train near my house at sunset. I believe that these shots were near the more telephoto end of the range. I don't recall the aperture, but I'd guess around 5.6.

It's a good lens, not a slouch and not full of smeary spherical aberrations that I find with so many cheaper lenses. I also don't notice much fringing either. But I need to shoot it more. I just got a K-01, my first real digital camera, so I'll put it thru its paces again and see how it does with a crop sensor compared to my full frame 35mm film.

Brad

Location: Dobrich
Lens Review Date: December 17, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $40.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Push-pull zoom, nice build quality, cheap price
Cons: slow focus, hard to find
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 8    Value: 9

This is really a brilliant lens for what you pay for. I have the Auto focus copy of the lens and it has really nice image quality. Got it a while back just so I would have a lens to cover the focal length because I don't shoot at the long ends so much but got really surprised. Only problem is the long focus throw and therefor the slow AF but still not a bad lens. You could even shoot sports with it when you get to know it's weaknesses.

Offroading 1 by nickodim, on Flickr

Drifting by nickodim, on Flickr

In the dust by nickodim, on Flickr

Does some nice close up work too:

Oily bits by nickodim, on Flickr

Location: Fife, Scotland
Lens Review Date: March 6, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $20.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: push-pull zoom, rubber grips
Cons: zoom a bit lose and slides out, lower contrast than Pentad 550-300mm.

My copy came with an ME Super camera so I have no idea how much I paid for it, but the camera and lens were 50 or a bit less! Therefore I guess it was $20 or so.

I took some comparative shots closeup with this and my Pentax 55-300mm. Now maybe it was a little unfair as 200 mm is the longest zoom for the Sigma and it doesn't have a lens hood, but the photo clearly has less contrast than the 55-300mm lens, and if I go pixel peeping it also has some purple fringing.

However for the price it's a good buy! I might even lash out and get it a lens hood one of these days.

Location: Minahasa, North Celebes (Sulawesi)
Lens Review Date: February 8, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $50.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp. Solid.
Cons: Push-pull for some people is just a little too yesterday

Oh yes, mine is the one that re-badged "Promaster Spectrum 7"

Bought this one on-line, the seller listed it as Pentax, but turns out to be a Nikon mount . I borrowed a friend's Nikon and give it a few shots. Amazing sharp for a lens with this price tag, good contrast, too. The old-style push-pull zooming needed a little getting used to, but turned to be just fun. Minimal focus distance is about 1m, making it capable of good "macros". If you need a good tele under a limited budget, this one is hard to miss.

Here's a shot (taken with a Nikon):

Registered: September, 2010
Location: Northeast Philadelphia
Lens Review Date: January 2, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $16.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Compact, light, good value, "A" setting
Cons: CA, not very fast, flares easily

When I purchased this, I confused it with the very similar UCII version, which I'm guessing has better coatings. At the price I paid, this lens is a great value, particularly because of its A setting for use in program modes. It's light and compact only about a half-inch longer than the kit 18-55mm lens, though it is a bit wider in diameter.

It looks like it can take a bayonet-type lens hood, and it would benefit from it, since the front element is not recessed much at all and it flares easily.

I have not used it extensively, but I enjoy it each time I do. The "macro" setting shouldn't really be called macro. It's barely even close focus with a 1:4.7 magnification at 1.2 meters. Here are a few shots I've taken with it:

I should mention that the vignetting you see in the above photo was added in Photoshop.

Edit: I just noticed that my copy of this lens has the Ricoh pin. I never noticed it before, and it has caused me no problems with my K-x. When I compare the location of the Ricoh pin to the location of the autofocus screw on my kit lens, they are not near each other. After doing some research online, I found out that some Ricoh pins aren't pins, but are ball bearings, which do not get stuck. That is the case with this lens.

Registered: January, 2009
Location: East Bay Area, CA
Lens Review Date: February 17, 2009 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $100.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: solid construction, rubber zoom ring grip, good IQ
Cons: stiff zoom operation
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 8    Value: 8

Just a budget midrange zoom from Sigma. Takes surprisingly good pictures and has decent color and contrast. I haven't shot enough with it yet to say more but hope to spend time with it and later post some images. Recommended.
Add Review of Sigma 70-210mm F4-5.6 UC

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:28 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!