Third-Party Pentax Lenses - Reviews and Database » Sigma Lenses » Current Zoom Lenses
Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Review RSS Feed

7.9
 7.8
 7.9
 7.4
 7.7
39 153,713 Thu September 20, 2018

Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro

This 70-300mm zoom telephoto was made in numerous versions and generations by sigma - 4 versions listed in the legacy zooms section, two in the current zooms section (see here for the current non-"apo" version).

Sigma’s 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG APO Macro is a compact autofocus telephoto zoom lens with a zoom ration of 4 to 1. Its range is useful for portraiture, capturing children playing in the backyard, amateur sports and capturing animals at the zoo. In macro mode the lens offers 0.5x magnification.

APS-C: 23.1-5.4 ° / 19.4-4.5 °
Full frame: 34.3-8.2 ° / 28.7-6.8 °
76.6x122 mm (3x4.8 in.)
(in production)

Buy Lens: Buy the Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro
Price: $199
Mount Type: Pentax KAF2/KAF (screwdrive AF)

Add Review of Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Buy the Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 39

Registered: July, 2007
Location: North West UK

Lens Review Date: August 1, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Image quality exceeds the price you pay, Useful Macro, Bargain!
Cons: Macro is only at 200-300 and switch is fiddly to flick
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 8    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-1

This was a fairly recent replacement to the non-APO version I had for many years. Mainly to do with a theft, and the nearest like for like in stock (thank you WEX)

I was not expecting much from it, as I used the older one mainly with my Film Cameras, due to the A ring and FF capable. My 55-300 was the better replacement for the K-5/K-3 etc etc.

But, of course I bought the K-1, and the earlier version came back into being due to the sensor. But then got nicked!

Now this APO version on the K-1. Well...................................

You would think that a cheap third party lens would struggle to cope with the demands with 36MP? In this instance it is the opposite, the lens more than copes with a high resolution K-1.
Contrast is good, as is colour rendition,sharpness and resolution. Maybe a tad soft wide open, but it is more than useable.

Downsides? It is a little noisy AF, but it is very fast to focus on the K-1, very snappy indeed.
The Macro is useful, but can be fiddly to switch it to that mode.
The lens rotates on focusing, meaning PL filters can be a pain.

But, overall, this is a bargain of a lens, especially for the K-1! Surprised? I am!

Registered: December, 2013

Lens Review Date: December 3, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $185.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharpness, wide range, macro capability, sigma optical quality
Cons: front rotating, too long when 300mm macro, hunts in low light
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 8    Value: 9    New or Used: Used

I've been using this lens over two years and never needed another zoom. As a zoom lens it is always giving me what I need especially outdoors and daylight conditions. Sigma apo dg is sharp enough between f/6.3 to f/13. Apo coating and low dispersion glass gives this lens a great bonus. It comes with lens hood and a bag which is good for keeping. Sigma quality never disappointed me and left me halfway. It is certainly not a pro lens but I am not a pro photographer, it gives me what I need from a zoom lens. You can always go for another zoom lens if you are ready to pay five to ten times more. Whatever, I like this lens and advice it for limited budgets, it gives over it's wealth. Bye

Registered: December, 2013

Lens Review Date: November 30, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $190.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: way better than expectation, sharpness, sold built
Cons: huge lens hood, noisy af
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: Used

It's a very good low budget lens, it has apo coating and low dispersion glass. It gives more than you pay for it. Very usefull, gives 1/2 macro. A sharp lens also way sharper than 28-200 or 28-300 series lenses, i used both versions. 55-300 is very popular but this lens gives you macro as a bonus and goes head to head with 55-300 about sharpness. It has a great price advantage, i believe everyone should have one APO DG 70-300 in their bag, no doubt you will need it when walking around. I am not a proffesional photographer, I do not earn money from it, but i love shooting landscapes, butterflies and people so this lens is very handy for me with my favorite Sigma 17-70. I don't need another lens except these two. Thats all from me, hoping to be useful for everyone, cheers...

Registered: August, 2011

Lens Review Date: August 29, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $250.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: excellent in price class
Cons: switching off the macro slightly difficult for a new user
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10

I bought this lens yrs ago and I steel like it

It's excellent lens in price class. If you want to buy a better one, you must pay more,

Registered: March, 2009
Location: NWT
Lens Review Date: March 7, 2009 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great value, macro, excellent 300m, tough
Cons: switching off the macro

I bought this lens with my MZ7 (8 yrs ago.. I think). I have taken so many shots with it. I originally bought it to really use it! I treated it like I didn't own it, I am so careful with most of my equipment, that i often didn't get the shot because I didn't want it to get wet, or covered in sand, or dropped. I bought this with the intention of breaking it eventually.

It does have a soft focus in macro, but if you play with it you can get it sharper. Works well with my K10D, and K20D.. to be honest it is always in my kit. It has been in my pelican case for the last 8yrs, I never go home without it. It works well in very cold temperatures (-55 C I live in the NWT), traveled across Europe, NZ, CAN, Tonga, Cuba, lots of pacific islands, it has been splashed with salt water, under fresh water (I dried it out, after a rinse with distilled water, no spots, works fine)
The macro is amazing for the price, you won't by a better lens at this price.

I am a teacher and I have let students use it, it has been dropped at least 3 times on the class floor, still works great. It has a plastic feel to it, but it is very sturdy at the same time , hard to explain. Kids use it a lot to make stop motion films.

It can be slow in low light, but go to manual you shouldn't have a problem. It looks really big in the picture with the lens hood on, but is much smaller when you take it off or flip it around.

The only negative is when the macro switch is on, sometimes you have to flick the camera to manual to bring in the zoom to turn it off.

I just got the DA 70-300mm, and as a pentax guy, I hate to say the sigma is staying in my kit, and the DA is staying at home most of the time. It just works better, and the colour is the same.

I own the 170-500mm sigma, and that has lots of problems, due to its size it doesn't always come on hikes. But the 300mm does a good job on birds.

Now that I have said all the positives, it will probably break the next time I use it.

Registered: December, 2010
Location: Phoenix Arizona

Lens Review Date: September 6, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $55.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Good range, compact, reasonably sharp, fast focus.
Cons: Sticky zoom ring

This lens is really good considering it's cost. It is acceptably sharp well past 200mm, and still quite good all the way to 300.

It is great for bright days outdoors where you can keep it around f8-11. I would not recommend it for an indoor hockey game. That requires glass that costs and weighs much more.

Focus with the K-1 is scary fast. The zoom ring on mine is sticky but that might just be mine.

For what I paid, it can't be beat.

Registered: May, 2012

Lens Review Date: July 5, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $95.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: heavy, built
Cons: a bit stcky feeling zooming in and out
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 9    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: kr, k3

my work horse....

Lens Review Date: November 10, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $225.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: surprising sharpness
Cons: could be faster....somehat noisy, albeit accurate and fast auto focus
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: Used

This lens has really surprised me...I have been using it for over a year now....and part of my surprise was based on the fact that the lens was not reviewed here very highly....I picked it up originally as an inexpensive long lens, and was fortunate to find one that had been taken care of with great care.....but as time went on with this lens I found it to be much sharper than the more highly rated sigma 17-70 and many supposedly superior lenses in my bag......it has really proven to be a very trusty lens, which I highly recommend.....

Registered: August, 2008
Location: bremerton, wash.

Lens Review Date: February 24, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $230.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Very sharp on a TRIPOD. VERY TOUGH BODY. LOVE THE COATINGS
Cons: I would of liked a 3.5 opening for indoors.

I have used it for about 2 years. I have had to take it in for cleaning when i worked some sage brush up around Steam Boat Rock in North washington State. Zooming in and out sucked in sage brush dust. Other wise i use it alot. When pointed down there is NO LENS CREEP. I do all out door photo work and it has been good for me. Up around salt water in storms I have no trouble with it. It is a tough lens. The Macro is really sharp. A mono pod is best with this lens to cut out some motion. It is very sensitive to shakey hands. Rather, if you climb up a hill and am out of breath and your 65 year old heart is hammering, rest a bit or use a pod of sorts. Boka is nice with a UV lens or better a neutral gray lens. I have the 120-400 Sigma and the 70-300 is 1/2 the weight and size. The 120-400 is super quiet and a bit sharper than the 70-300 but a beast to carry. The 70-300 is a bit noisey on focus but easier to carry around. I am so used to reaching for it i would buy it again in a heart beat. I swear i would prefer to support Pentax but none of their 70-300 have Macro. Oh, ok, if i see a good deal on a Pentax 55-300 F4 i would get it and my conscience would feel better. But then i would have to get my Pentax 100mm 2.8 back that i gave to my son as i would need a macro for travel. I don't get it. Why doesn't Pentax put more Macro on their lenses? I do think the DA 35 Macro 2.8 is a "have to have lens". But that is a "wana have" for me now................ KEEP LOOKIN FOR BEAUTY....................

Registered: August, 2008
Location: St. Louis, MO

Lens Review Date: December 9, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $189.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Really fine sharp lens for the price
Cons: Slow lens

For what it is, this lens is great. Does it do the job my $750 Tamron 70-200 2.8 does? No, but it does a good job and is sometimes closer than one might think. I am regularly amazed that a lens that I paid less than $200 for new, can produce truly exceptional pictures, but this one is capable of doing just that. With F-stops of only 4-5.6 wide open this isn't a fast lens. But you have to compare what the lens does for its' cost. When you do that, this lens is not just good it's truly exceptional.

Another really nice thing about this lens is that while the macro section isn't true macro, it focuses quite close and allows the shooter to create some very nice macro type shots.

Sigma did this same lens in a non APO version. I had that lens as well, but didn't keep it. It can create some decent shots, but the APO version is much better and doesn't cost all that much more.

This lens is capable of producing pictures that are truly exceptional. At present it has the longest reach I have. While it's not the best glass I have in my camera bag, it's one of the best bargains. As a light weight lens I don't see myself getting rid of it even as I continue to build my kit.

Registered: March, 2007
Location: San Jose

Lens Review Date: April 30, 2008 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $200.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great colors, great sharpness, incredibly useful zoom range
Cons: Macro autofocus slow because of large travel distance

This lens has been a joy because it is sharp, the colors are spectacular, and it was cheap! The effective "zoom" of 12x normal focal length on the K10D is incredibly useful for picking up animals, far away objects while trapped in a crowd, and things you technically aren't supposed to photograph. I haven't used the macro much because it is incredibly shaky at 200-300mm and non 1:1 macro isn't that inspiring for me. But one is supposed to use a tripod for macro anyhow.

This lens is a great for portraits, too. The sharpness isn't harsh to faces and brings out very personable detail.

Others have said this lens isn't sharp. Maybe they did not buy the APO version. My experience has been entirely the opposite. As for sharpness at 300mm, I've never had a problem. Here's some examples. Even after being smushed by Google's JPG compression it is still sharp.

300mm macro: (I'm not good at aiming this... I just hold down the shutter and hope. But that's my fault as a learning photographer.)

This at 150:

These at 190:

This at 210:

Registered: June, 2010
Location: Alberta

Lens Review Date: September 20, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $80.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Light, Good zoom range, Macro/close focus, matte finish
Cons: Average build quality, soft wide open, Sunny day lens
Sharpness: 7    Aberrations: 6    Bokeh: 7    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: Pentax K-7, K-5, & K-3

This Sigma lens replaces a Tamron 28-300mm lens that met a tragic end. This was a budget purchase used for $100 CAD ($80 USD). This is a very useful lens with a nice reach (450mm equivalent) when attached to an APS-C body like the K-5/K-3. The 70-300mm is a light weight lens with a nice matte finish. The macro/close focus option is only available in the 200-300mm range and is activate by a switch on the lens body that can be temperamental at times (read "sticky / finicky").

Sharpness is better at the short end of the range 70-150mm. If there is enough light to keep the aperture in the f8 - f11 range, then images are relatively sharp (for the price of the lens). They do not compare to my Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 but that lens is in a whole different category.

There is almost no lens creep on this lens - unlike the Tamron 28-300 which actually has a lens lock to prevent the guaranteed occurrence of lens creep if the lens is tilted below horizontal. The lens hood has sufficient depth to nicely shade the front glass and improve contrast and minimize flare.

With a nice light lens body, it makes for a great companion on an all day hike, or a day at the rodeo when you have the camera to your eye for most of the time.

Is it the "perfect" lens - No, but definitely great value for the money and when you keep in its "sweet spot" it will produce very acceptable images that you can be proud of.

Couple of samples:

https//flic.kr/p/29VYXiw

Registered: October, 2014

Lens Review Date: January 27, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $170.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: really sharp at F8 great color rendition especially blues PRICE! sub 200 for great IQ
Cons: none really especially for the price
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-3

Proud K-3 owner: with that said
when i was a Nikon owner i had read in a tip somewhere about a great little lens that could do wonders and that was really really Inexpensive-sharp at F8 -macro abilities- good AF speed- and great colors at the beach-spot on tip so when i changed camera manufacturers back to Pentax (started on a k1000) i wondered if they made this lens in a K mount?
Yes Sigma did!-i then knew that it would be a nice inexpensive addition to my shabby kit
8mm f3.5
35mm f2.4
50mm f1.8
sigma 17-50 f2.8 (fav walk around lens)
sigma 150-500 for reach
a dedicated water housing for the K-3 and 3 ports
a couple of old manual zooms round out my bag also Gopro Hero 4 black (amazing device)
the Sigma 70-300 fits right in and does the job i need it to do-when the light is good and you can shoot F8 or better @1000sec this lens is a great lens for budding photographers on a budget

Registered: November, 2014

Lens Review Date: December 1, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $216.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Brilliant Macro capability, No CA, Sharp enough under 200mm
Cons: Soft at 300mm/infinity, cheap build and feel
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 6    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: Pentax K50

Out of the box, this lens felt a bit dubious in my hands - slightly sticky focus and zoom with a bit of slop/play in the focus mechanism. I guess you get what you pay for and it didn't cost a lot. Lens hood's not exactly 'elegant' and a little fiddly to deal with. Nice zip up pouch. On the camera, the thing that really stands out for me is the macro ability. Absolutely sharp as with no color fringing on the edges of the subject in focus. Brilliant for critters at night where I can stay 4 feet away but still fill the viewfinder with a frog and the flash has enough reach to light it up. At infinity, 300mm seems a bit soft, but at closer range seems very sharp. Unfortunately, it does focus beyond infinity which I always find a little annoying. Very good from 70-200. Cheap build aside, this lens should be capable of some really nice shots and value for money is brilliant for the images it provides.

Registered: November, 2011
Location: ON, RH

Lens Review Date: January 17, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $100.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Good price, light, good IQ, nice bokeh, decent macro lens
Cons: Lens creep when AF is off, long when extended with hood
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 7    Handling: 7    Value: 9    New or Used: New

A great lens for a beginner that wants to upgrade from the kit lens.
It has a very good reach, it does decent macro (1:2) and IQ is very good considering the price.

The only annoying things that I find about it is the lens creep when using in MF and that is quite long once you zoom in all the way and add the hood on.

At 300mm you can still get very good results if you keep the lens hood on and put the camera on tripod (disable SR).

Personally, I really like this lens and still have my copy.
I don't use it as much nowadays, but I still think is a great lens and yes, I would recommend it.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:34 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!