Third-Party Pentax Lenses - Reviews and Database » Sigma Lenses » Legacy Zoom Lenses
Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Review RSS Feed

Maximum Magnifications: 1:7.8
Diameter x Length: 75x105.7 mm / 3.0x4.2 in
Weight: 555g / 19.6oz.
Buy Lens: Buy the Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM
In-Depth Review: Read our Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM in-depth review!
Mount Type: Pentax KAF3 (in-lens AF only)

Add Review of Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Buy the Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 29

Registered: September, 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Lens Review Date: February 26, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $395.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: W-I-D-E, 20% wider than 10-20, sharp, IF, HSM,
Cons: NO Filters, Price, Slow
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 8    Value: 8    Camera Used: K-5iis K-3    Autofocus: 10    New Or Used: Used

If you are into filters this is NOT the lens for you. If you want to shoot rectilinear and WIDE then this is the lens for you. Sharper than the 10/12-20/24 lenses I've shot over the years, silent, fast focus, but it handles like a fisheye with regard to the hood being built in, the glass bulging outward a bit, and needing to really be aware of your own body when framing the photo. Stopping down to f8+ brings the corners into sharp relief but the center is sharp from the outset. Distortion is lower, so far, than I anticipated with is a nice realization. I'm being asked to photograph in tighter spaces and do more groups shots so the wider angle of the 8mm is a real plus for me.

UPDATE: 3/18/19 - This lens works at 16mm on the K-1 without any issues from my tests. Must be at16mm, no other focal lengths are without problems, but then it essentially works as a 16mm fixed focal length lens on FF.

Registered: February, 2018

Lens Review Date: September 28, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $350.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, wieldy
Cons: Filters impossible
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 6    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K3ii    Autofocus: 10    New Or Used: Used

Really good. All marks out of ten for this type of lens (ultra wide zoom) as, naturally, it barrels.

Really nice handling - the internal focusing and (relatively) light weight makes this a potential walk-around lens when looking at cityscapes or architecture. Sharpness is really good for a lens of this price.

As others have remarked here it gives a good impression of having a polariser on the front. Colour rendition is notably more vivid than my 16-85 HD Pentax, which comes across as more 'neutral' and cool. But the colour rendering really works with the images that this lens produces.

A little gem!

Location: Hong Kong

Lens Review Date: September 18, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $450.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Great colour & details for PS, Manageable size and weight, Unparalleled focal range
Cons: Great resolution not available at large apertures, construction not good enough
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 7    Value: 8    Camera Used: K20D    Autofocus: 8    New Or Used: Used

This is the second Sigma lens I have used on a Pentax body - around 3 years ago.

I bought it because I had wanted to have a try of the widest zoom AF lens - when I had never thought of entering K-1. This lens was rare in Hong Kong, so I bought mine from an Australian who delivered nothing less than described. On paper, it is not a particularly light lens. But thanks to the modern plastic of the lens body, it felt light to me.

I did not understand when others said it is not easy to compose when you use ultra-wide lenses - until I started shooting with it on Hong Kong Island - as you can see in my album of samples. This model is no doubt a great lens with great flare resistance, mild distortion, colour rendering just marginally inferior to DA 12-24 (my comparative impression according to samples). Still, it is uneasy to take impressive shots with a lens of this focal range.

It is a shame that I did not keep it for long despite its great performance - not to mention that I had tried using it with K-1 at 16mm after a little cropping!

Now I own FA 20-35 F4 as my only Wide Zoom for K-1, and several other respectable wide MF prime lenses. The 1st reason is that I prefer taking wide shots with distortion as little as possible. I am afraid it would have been the same issue with Sigma 12-24 for FF. Right now I have fun with prime lenses of focal lengths from 18mm to 25mm.

The 2nd reason is that using a ultra-wide zoom lens can be confusing. Even the zoom power is only 2x, you have to reconsider the composition from scratch every time after you change the focal length by 1mm. An equally important point is that ultra-wide shots rely on great sunlight much more than those at normal focal lengths. I had not learnt to be patient to take good photos yet. So you see.

The 3rd reason is that I found out I would not be into ultra-wide photography as much as I had guessed. So I sold this marvelous lens smoothly to a more committed photographer.

Similar to Sigma 50-500, it is a lens of its kind. I heard Sigma 10-20 is the best performer within the same era from Sigma. Still, this lens is good enough so long as you are not an extreme pixel-peeper. Right now, I prefer the rendering of Pentax (say, 24 3.5) and Carl Zeiss (25 2.8) prime lenses, so I am not looking back.

Since the release date of the new DA* 11-18 2.8 remains a mystery, together with DA 12-24, this lens should serve APS-C format lovers well enough.

I did not spend much time getting used to this gem so the samples should show far less than what it can do in great hands.

Samples:

Registered: April, 2013
Location: Edmonton

Lens Review Date: July 19, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $440.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp, colour quality, quiet mechanism
Cons: large, no filter attachment, some exif data missing
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 5    Handling: 9    Value: 9    Camera Used: K3    Autofocus: 9    New Or Used: New

Overall a very good lens, quiet and well built. I've been wanting this one for some time and my local camera shop were having a inventory clearance and they reduced the price on this from $1049 CAD to $599 CAD so I couldn't resist. Complements my Pentax 10-17 fish-eye lens and is really good for crowd scenes and landscape shots, I especially appreciate the amount of information you can capture. Negative aspects are slow aperture, lack of exif info less than 10mm and difficult to attach any filter system.

But on the whole, good value for money.

Registered: February, 2018
Location: Hérouville Saint Clair, Normandy, France

Lens Review Date: March 21, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $485.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: wide, well built, sharp
Cons: hood, weight
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 9    Value: 9    Camera Used: KP    Autofocus: 10    New Or Used: Used

This lens is a monster. Very wide, very heavy, very big front element, very quiet.

Registered: October, 2015

Lens Review Date: January 31, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Colour rendition, very wide
Cons: sharpness, no filters
Sharpness: 7    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 6    Handling: 10    Value: 9    Camera Used: Pentax K3    Autofocus: 10    New Or Used: 10

I am very pleased with this lens, being able to go up to 8mm is very pleasant. The colors are very good, it almost look like a polarizing filter is always used. My only regrets is the lack of sharpness, even stopped down.

Registered: May, 2014

Lens Review Date: November 29, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $550.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Cheap and very unique
Cons: not the sharpest
Sharpness: 6    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 6    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax K3II    Autofocus: 10    New Or Used: 10

Very unique lens with really special characteristics. Ultra wide angle with very little distortion. Focus is fast but almost everything is always in focus so it never really hunts. The significance between the 8mm and 10mm is huge, so if you are considering this versus the 10-20 for example, the extra wideness is much greater than you would think. Really great buy for architecture because at 8mm this lens is a whole lot wider than any other zoom out there

Registered: August, 2008
Location: St. Louis, MO

Lens Review Date: June 23, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $425.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build quality and ultra wide angle field of view
Cons: Hard to find
Sharpness: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-3 and K-5    Autofocus: 10

Nothing much to say that others haven't already said, but I'm well pleased with the lens. It replaced an older Sigma 10-20 & while that lens was nice, I like this lens better. I don't use it a ton, but when I need an ultra wide angle, it's truly spectacular.

Location: Sydney

Lens Review Date: November 28, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Widest lens available for apsc
Cons: Inconsistent metering on k3
Sharpness: 7    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 9    Value: 9    Camera Used: K-3    Autofocus: 10

I'm not sure why this is listed as a legacy lens - it's listed on the sigma site as a current lens, and can still be bought from most shops?

Anyhow, if you need ultra wide, then there aren't many alternative options. This lens is better than the DA12-24 (my copy will be heading to eBay soon), but the DA15 beats it at the long end.

The sharpness is reasonable for a zoom, bokeh is irrelevant when you're this wide. However... Metering on the k-3 is pretty bad. It just seems the k-3 can't cope with this lens (it feels like it's so wide the k-3 doesn't know what it should be metering?). Some times it's over exposed, sometimes under exposed. It just seems to be a bit of a lottery. The images clean up fairly easily in Lightroom, and you will end up with good shots, but if you're a JPEG shooter, you should probably avoid this lens.

If you want the best wide angle lens, this is not it (the DA15 is). For those days when the DA15 is just far too narrow for you, or when you feel the need to have your legs and feet in scenic landscapes, the 8-16 is just the ticket

Registered: August, 2015

Lens Review Date: August 8, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 9

Pros:
Cons:
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: K5    Autofocus: 9

Very sharp Lens

Lens Review Date: December 9, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $500.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Good colors, sharpness, build quality
Cons: no filters, a little heavier than 10-20, slow apertures.
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 8    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax k-5    Autofocus: 9

great ultra wide angle lense,
If you look for a wide angle look no further than this lens. image quality is stellar.

of course I wish it could take filters at 8mm wide and it could be faster to us it withouth tripod or star photography. but we all know you have to compromise.

best value for the money.

Little complain about the AF (maybe just on my copy) but some time it kind of goes in idle. i have to wake it up .

Happy shooting with this lens.

Highly recommended.

Registered: September, 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Lens Review Date: November 15, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $650.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Amazing fl range; sharp for a wide angle; good, quiet AF
Cons: size; price
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 8    Value: 8    Camera Used: Pentax K3    Autofocus: 9

If you need a solid ultra wide angle you cannot do better on Pentax than with the Sigma 8-16. It is hard to find in the USA and expensive but nothing else does the job as well. There really is a difference between 8 and 10mm fl. which can be clearly seen in photographs. The only real negatives are the size (not actually that large and heavy but not as comfortable as DA 15 or DA 10-17 fisheye), and the price. Everyone interested in architecture, street scenes and wide vistas should give it

Registered: September, 2011
Location: Doha

Lens Review Date: August 5, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $400.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharpness, rendering of skies
Cons: AF, inability to fit filters

I love this lens, 8mm is pretty impressive! There's nothing else available at 8mm apart from fisheyes. I was lucky enough to pick one up second-hand.

The cons are minor niggles really. It's a bit soft at the corner and edges when wide-open. It's very sharp stopped down, and, personally, I want as much DOF as possible on UWA shots, so for me that's not normally a problem. Likewise, the autofocus: it's not very good, but I rarely use it anyway, so it doesn't bother me. I prefer to use hyperfocal focusing with UWA lenses. If you do use AF, use Spot Focus, as I think part of the problem is there's so much in the frame it doesn't know what to lock on to. For anyone wanting to shoot infrared with this lens, forget it. It suffers from hot-spots at all apertures.

The pros are it's angle of view, it's sharpness when stopped down a bit, and the way it renders skies. It's like it has a built-in polariser, and for me that largely negates the inability to use filters. In the Middle-East, with skies often a dull beige from sand in the air, this lens delivers beautiful blue skies. It's quite extraordinary in that regard. Contrast is excellent.

One other con, but fixable: Pentax cameras don't recognise focal lengths below 10mm, so you need to use a program like ExifTool to modify the exif if you want to use lens corrections below 10mm. It's worth doing this, as the distortion is quite odd, moustache-type, and the edges become very distorted at 8mm.

Overall I'd give this lens a 9, only not getting a 10 because of the AF issues, and it's softness at the edges when wide-open.

Here's a couple of shots from the lens on a K3

Arches by Jon Bowles, on Flickr

Stairway by Jon Bowles, on Flickr

And a couple from the K5

Petronas Towers by Jon Bowles, on Flickr

IMGP7277 by Jon Bowles, on Flickr

Location: Perth Western Australia

Lens Review Date: December 28, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $628.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: mind blowing angle of view, IQ, sharpness ,well build
Cons: flare

PLEASE STOP spreading wrong rumours !
It is available in Pentax mount and will be in the foreseeable future.
The production is limited so you might have to wait a while for the stock if you want a new one.

I was waiting ~ 4 months for new stock in Australia but it was worth waiting for.
It looks great , works great and is a joy to use.
With new 24MP K-3 you can take full advantage of lens sharpness and IQ, love it!

My overall score : 9.5

Some of my photos:

Lens Review Date: September 22, 2013 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: $650.00 | Rating: 4

Pros: 8-16
Cons: Sharpness,reflections,no filters,af not good and noisy

This lens sucks. Af is not good and makes so much load click click noise when use, typical for sigma wide angle. Hsm kiss my ass! Corner sharpness is soo poor. Only f5.6-f11 are sharpenough to use, 16mm is near tamron 17-50 sharpness but looses litle. Sharpness reduces when going down from 16mm. All lights and sun makes rflections to pics. This is so shit lens.avoid this.
Add Review of Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Buy the Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:27 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!