Third-Party Pentax Lenses - Reviews and Database » Miscellaneous Lenses » Zoom Lenses
Soligor 80-200mm F4.5 C/D Zoom+Macro Review RSS Feed

Soligor 80-200mm F4.5 C/D Zoom+Macro

6.7
 7.3
4 37,491 Wed June 3, 2020
Soligor 80-200mm F4.5 C/D Zoom+Macro

Soligor "Computer Designed" (C/D) lenses are rather like Vivitar Series 1: relatively aggressive undertakings intended to compete directly with lenses from the major camera brands. At a constant f/4.5, this zoom is not particularly fast, but it is quite small and has a decent macro mode. It takes a 55mm filter.
Mount Type:

Add Review of Soligor 80-200mm F4.5 C/D Zoom+Macro
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-4 of 4

Lens Review Date: June 3, 2020 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $20.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: sharp lens, nice colors, good small lens
Cons: visble CA's wide open, especially in the corners
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 6    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 7    Value: 7

+ stopped down to f 8-11 a good performer

o/+ wide opened aperture some visible CA's

contrast and colors are okay

7 points totally

Registered: January, 2014

Lens Review Date: January 29, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $15.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp, cheap, macro
Cons: Large and heavy, hard to achieve a perfect focus
Bokeh: 8    Handling: 8    Value: 9

I want to preface by mentioning that I am not an expert by any means. I got this lens in a set with a few other old manual film lenses and a Pentax SLR camera. I recently tested this one out on my K-01; I had a hard time getting a perfectly focused shot (wasn't using a tripod) but I am overall pretty pleased with the results.

A pretty flower I sharpened the original RAW a bit in Photoshop, and added the vignetting effect.

Registered: January, 2010
Location: Cape Town, South Africa
Lens Review Date: March 29, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: Well built; Cheap old lens; Fairly sharp; Nice OoF rendering
Cons: Manual focus and aperture - not idea for zoom; switch off SR when using
Sharpness: 7    Aberrations: 6    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 5    Value: 8

This is an old hanger-on from my film days in '80s that I have not really used since dslr transition. But decided to test it before selling on, as I already have way too many AF zooms in the 70/80-200/300mm range. And after picking up a FA*80-200 f/2.8, this just has to go.

I was surprised by the OoF rendering and general IQ of the lens. Fairly sharp at f/8 almost on par with 55-300, and imho the OoF rendering is better.

The zoom is push-pull, but mine has no creep, and overall build quality is good. Some test samples below

Registered: August, 2009
Location: Lexington, KY

Lens Review Date: October 4, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $10.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Smallish, well made, good IQ
Cons: f/4.5, problems with veiling flare, bad zoom creep
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10

This was along for the ride in a large lot of lenses, but we'll say I paid $10 for it....

The lettering on this lens has partially rubbed off and the grip was somewhat dirty, but the glass was clean and everything works smoothly. In the case of the zoom, it works a little too smoothly -- the worst zoom creep I have ever seen. Anyway, how's the IQ? Here it is as a macro:

Here it is as a normal shot:

Not bad at all. Actually, better than my Vivitar Series 1 (version 1, f/3.5) except for a propensity toward veiling flare. Both those shots were wide open and were not postprocessed other than to scale the images.

Overall, it's an 8 -- or a 9 relative to similar old zooms. Who knew?
Add Review of Soligor 80-200mm F4.5 C/D Zoom+Macro

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:54 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!