Third-Party Pentax Lenses - Reviews and Database » Tamron Lenses » Legacy Prime Lenses
Tamron Adapt-A-matic/fixed mount 135mm F/2.8 Auto Review RSS Feed

10.0
 10.0
3 28,372 Sun October 15, 2017

Tamron Adapt-A-matic/fixed mount 135mm F/2.8 Auto

The adaptamatics were the precursors of the Tamron Adaptall swappable mount system. The two systems are completely different. Adaptamatic mounts can be found for: C-AF for Canon FP, FT, FX and Pellix (FL fit, usable on many FD cameras with restrictions); EX for Exakta bayonet; M42 screw thread; N-IF for Nikon F, F2, Nikkormats etc (pre-AI); M-A for Miranda F, G, Automex Ill and Sensorex ; SR (no meter coupling) and SRT (meter coupling) for Minolta ; K-A for Konica Autoreflex; P-E for Petri; T-O for Topcon.
Note: PK came later so no PK (use M42 + adapter).
The mount locking ring is a M58 thread - this DIY article discusses diy mount possibilites.

Scan of original adaptamatic user manual posted here.

The 135mm is most commonly found as Adapt-A-matic Interchangeable Mount, but was also made as a fixed mount, and as the first version adaptall 135mm. And in fact that lens' successor the CT135 is very similar in specification.
There is also an uncommon and relatively undocumented f3.5 version, later style with rubber focus grip rather than original milled grip (pic 2 - courtesy Luis Alegria).

135mm F/2.8
Weight: 14.6 oz. (415g)
Solid metal build
Built-in Hood
Auto-Manual Switch

Can also be found as a Bushnell.
Mount Type: Third-party (adapter required)

Add Review of Tamron Adapt-A-matic/fixed mount 135mm F/2.8 Auto
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-3 of 3

Registered: June, 2008
Location: Idaho

Lens Review Date: October 15, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $50.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp, good bokeh, fast
Cons: Manual focus and f-stop, close-focusing
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 7    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax K-1

I had the screw mount version of this from my past days and wanted to convert it to K mount for use with my K-1. After looking for K adapters on ebay, I came across the same lens already with a K mount for a price I couldn't pass by. What I got was a pristine lens along with its case, neither of which appeared to have ever been used.

The lens is very sharp although it falters a bit wide open, but not much (it's use for astro-photos is what made me search for the K mount version). Color is well controlled. Unfortunately, the mount it came with is not the fully coupled adapta-matic mount so focus and aperture settings remain manual with my K-1 (reasons for the lower handling and overall ratings). That said, the lens delivers great images in manual mode. Focus is fine and smooth and the rounded aperture blades deliver good bokeh. Close focus isn't all that great (about 1.5 meters) but acceptable. A nice heavy, all-metal lens.

For the price, I couldn't beat this addition to my lens collection and the fact that it fits my K-1 is an added plus

Location: California
Lens Review Date: April 10, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $180.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Adapt-a-Matic, the last lens designed w/o computers
Cons: None (well, maybe the 1:2 ratio could be 1:1)
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10

After I completed my Takumar collection, I decided to start collecting some of the best lenses such as Adapt-a-Matic. The best of the bunch is 105/2.8, then the 28/2.8, and the 135/2.8, all of them with a great color rendering, and a great image quality. This is a great lens, I recommend it.

Location: Minahasa, North Celebes (Sulawesi)
Lens Review Date: July 23, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $65.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Pleasure to use mechanism, very smooth bokeh, build quality exellent
Cons: Sharpness is beatable by cheaper lens
Sharpness: 7    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10

Got this one accidentally when looking for an adaptall mount. Interesting lens, though. The front elements glowing blue, different from my other lenses. Really nice to operate, smooth movement, easy focusing. The adapt-A-matic mount is really simple, in and out, my copy comes with M42 mount. IMHO this lens gives nice results, colors are rich, with 9 aperture blade, bokeh is very pleasant, painting-like. My only complaint is that my copy at wide open gives "glowing" effect and slightly lower sharpness than my other "off-brand" 135mm lens, but that probably could be caused by the fact that my copy suffers from early stage of fungus, otherwise I believe this lens will sing pretty nicely.

Sample shots, all at F/2.8:

Add Review of Tamron Adapt-A-matic/fixed mount 135mm F/2.8 Auto

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:30 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!