Third-Party Pentax Lenses - Reviews and Database » Tamron Lenses » Legacy Zoom Lenses
Tamron 28-300mm F3.5-6.3 XR Di AF Review RSS Feed

8.1
 7.9
 7.6
13 42,413 Fri January 4, 2019

Aperture: f/3.5-6.3
Minimum Aperture: 22
Construction: 15 Elements-13 Groups
Angle of View: 75-8 degrees.
Minimum Focus: 0.49 m
Filter Size: 62 mm
Length: 83.7 mm
Weight: 420 grams
Macro Ratio: 1:2.9
Coating: Multi-coated
Focus System: Automatic

Add Review of Tamron 28-300mm F3.5-6.3 XR Di AF
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-13 of 13

Registered: November, 2017
Location: Minnesota
Lens Review Date: January 4, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $60.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: cheap, good enough, don't care if it gets damaged
Cons: soft, slow, pretty optimistic about reaching 300mm

I bought this lens a few months ago knowing full well what I was getting, a cheap good enough consumer super zoom. I saw it for sale used at a local store for $60 and was looking for a better beater lens for cub scout events. At $60 if it gets damaged it isn't any great loss unlike my better lenses and being a 28-300mm it can serve as a do all lens. It replaced a SMC Pentax-FA 28-80mm F3.5-5.6 and image quality is better with this tamron so it was an upgrade all around.

It is slow, and soft but I knew that going in. The purpose of this lens was to fill the role of a do it all good enough lens that if it gets damaged isn't a big deal. With scout events it is fast enough during the day and I won't do night shots with it unless I am using the non in camera flash as I wouldn't setup a tripod around the bouncy kids so the slowness isn't a big deal. The biggest advantage is the wide zoom range so I don't have to change lenses. So given all that, it is perfectly acceptable for what I want it to do.

The only thing I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere is that it is pretty optimistic on reaching 300mm. Since I own 2 good 300mm f/4 lens I was curious what a 300mm shot from this lens looked like compared to one of the 300mm f/4 lenses. I was mostly curious in the difference in image quality which substantial didn't surprise me unlike the difference in field of view which was very substantial. I wouldn't be surprised if this lens actually closer to 250mm than to 300mm on the long end. Some day I may do some shots out into the park with my S-M-C Takumar 200mm f/4, 300mm f/4, and this lens just to have a better idea of where it falls on the long end

Registered: March, 2017
Location: Corona, CA
Lens Review Date: August 26, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $85.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Price, Useful range, Walk around lens, light enough to shoot hand held
Cons: Soft wide open and at at 300. AF hunts on occasion

Going in I knew what I was getting with this lens. I've had similar super zooms for my Canon DSLRs and while useful they're not the best lenses around. I wanted a decent lens for my ocasional air travel and concert going where I don't want to be dealing with a lot of lenses. This fit the bill perfectly.

It's not super fast at f/3.5 and even slower at f/5.6 at the other end of the range. But on a K-1 with the IBIS, I felt it was something I could live with. I had a chance to try this out at a Stray Cats concert recently and I had to give thought if I wanted to deal with multiple lenses or just one. I decided this would be a great test of this lens and see if I was going to keep it for it's intended purpose.

I think the images are just fine from this lens, and for the $85.00 I spent on eBay a hell of a deal.

Some Auto focus Micro adjustments, sharpening in post processing and I've got a keeper. It's not a lens I'll use everyday, but will use when when I go on trips and to concerts.

I'll let the images speak for themself.

Registered: September, 2014
Location: Brownstown Twp., Mi

Lens Review Date: December 9, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $100.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: zoom range, reasonably fast focus
Cons: image softness, needs a lot of light
Sharpness: 7    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 8    Value: 7    Camera Used: K-3

I have the non- DI version of this lens without the AF/MF switch, and as I've been looking there are multiple versions of this lens; DI and non-DI and with/without the AF/MF switch. Basic look of the lens and rubber grips are all the same.

I received this lens on Dec 8 and took it out for a test at a local park. The day was cloudy and not overly bright so perhaps I'm being a bit harsh, but my 18-135 kit lens and old (very old) Pentax 80-320 lens have given more pleasing results in similar conditions.

First impressions. Near and far subjects, wide open and stepped down to F11 mostly seemed just a bit soft (especially if you are a pixel peeper and I find myself turning into a peeper).

Even some of the pictures posted by others reviewing this lens seem a bit soft and I wouldn't have given as high a sharpness rating, especially if I'd paid full price for the lens.

Lens sharpness does improve with lots of light and taking close ups with a flash yielded some pleasing results.

Winter days here in Michigan, USA are often cloudy/dreary and I plan to re-test the lens on the next sunny day (which may not be anytime soon). I do wish I'd had this lens to take along on a recent trip to Asia where I experienced a lot of very bright sunny days - I suspect the lens would have performed better.

As others have said, this could be a reasonably fine walking around/general purpose lens which is what I was hoping for when I purchased it.

Registered: June, 2014

Lens Review Date: June 17, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $350.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Light weight, Wide zoom range, Performance at the short end
Cons: none to me
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10

This is Tamronís updated version of the 28-300mm XR lens that covers a large, 10.7x zoom range. The update to Di, (Digitally integrated) includes a new coating on the rear element to cut down the reflective problems associated with digital sensors.

This lens was designed to cope wit most situations in the days of full frame 35mm film, but now, on a cropped dSLR, acts as a standard to long telephoto zoom. The close focusing ability helps in a number of areas to make it a useful lens where weight or dust is a problem. The range does save changing lenses every couple of minutes. Good at the wide end, it does fall away considerably at the long end.

Distortions are kept down to mild barrel at the short end, going on to a slightly more severe pincushion at the long end. As usual, the lens is neutral through the mid range. Neither end is problematic with a little play in the editing suit though.

It is an internal focusing lens though, which is nice when shooting close-ups, although the 1.6 foot (49cm) working distance leaves you with a healthy 12 inches or so of working room between the subject and the front of the lens at the 300mm focal length.

Registered: December, 2013

Lens Review Date: March 21, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 9

Pros:
Cons:
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 9

This lens is absolutely what I am looking for. A very handy, lightweight all purpose lens. You can shoot from 28mm to 300mm. Great for travels, outdoors, special occasions. Results are very satisfactory to me. I like it's quality, I like Tamron lenses. It became a very good couple with my tamron 17-50, for my Pentax K5 body. Highly recommended if you don't like to bother changing lenses a lot, like me

Registered: December, 2013

Lens Review Date: March 8, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $350.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: built quality, zoom range, sharpness, macro
Cons: little zoom creep
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 9

I use both tamron 17-50 and tamron 28-300 lenses. I've chosen 28-300 as a walkaround lens for daytime outside. It has a very good built quality, I also used some pentax and samsung zoom lenses before. The range of the lens is great. It's giving a change to shoot landscape, portrait and wildlife photography with one single lens. Autofocus is fast enough, which may sometimes hunt when shooting macro in low light conditions, but you can always make manuel adjustments to focus. As a result this lens is giving you what ever you are expecting for this price range, I personelly recommend this lens...

Emperor and Senpai

Registered: June, 2010
Location: Nashville, IN
Lens Review Date: May 15, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $100.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Zoom range, fairly sharp for what it is
Cons: zoom lock seems weird, hunts in lower light
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 7    Value: 9

I bought this lens used off of a Craigslist ad because I wanted to compare it to the Sigma lens I have which has the same specs. This one seems to edge the Sigma I bought new last year, and this was a used copy!

My biggest gripe so far is that it hunts in lower light situations. I know it's mainly going to be used outside, but still, that's a bit annoying. It is also a light hog, just as the sigma is.

Still, with that said I can definitely recommend this lens if you can find it for a good price.

Registered: August, 2009
Location: Gold Coast

Lens Review Date: December 22, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $350.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Small, Good Macro, You can use both film camera and DSLR
Cons: Not relatively sharp as prime lens (of course), not 18mm
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10

I have a very good copy of this lens.
It is a little bit soft in wide open at 300mm however, in f8 or above - good, in f11 or above - excellent.
You will get very good portrait in wide open at 135mm.
Between 28mm-135mm you will get very good result.
Autofocus is a little bit slower.
I am very happy with this lens over all.

Location: California

Lens Review Date: September 12, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $390.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Relatively small size
Cons: Unortodox filter size (62mm)
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 8    Value: 9

Nice zoom lens. It works on 35mm film and Digital SLR camera bodies. So, its the 'what lens I'll have if alone in the desert' (yeah, beaches apply too). It tends to have slight pincushion distortion, but most humans, animals and scapes won't care. Additionally, it comes with a 5-yr warranty (let's hope that Pentax sitcks around with Ricoh for that long).
It proved itself when a plane was taking off: I did the mistake of locking the zoom ring in wide (28/44mm) when putting the camera / lens in my bag, but when I got it out, unlocked it and zoomed to 300/450mm, I was able to take a nice photo of the airplane before it got lost in the distance.
Now, I can't get a value-price CPL filter for it yet, so I'll have to wait for the next cash infusion. But, other than that, It's fine optic that will be close to my K10D, ZX-L and LX (oh yeah).

Registered: December, 2010
Location: 11432
Lens Review Date: September 12, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $600.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: light, small than I thought, 28-300, good for begginers!
Cons: not good for users who spend more than 5 years for camera, dust, long distance
Sharpness: 5    Aberrations: 5    Bokeh: 2    Handling: 10    Value: 6

When I start my photography, I used this lens for 5 year. It was good lens but weak from dusts...
also in the zoom rings, I can not clean the dusts...
only for beginners only

Registered: September, 2009
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Lens Review Date: June 30, 2011 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: None indicated | Rating: 5

Pros: The build quality, range, zoom lock
Cons: Soft and relatively poor image quality

I agree with everything the above poster said about this lens. I wanted this lens to work well, as the build quality and range would have been excellent. The lens reminded me of my DA 18-250 Super Zoom, so I thought this would work as well if not better.

Even stopped down I can't seem to get anything sharp out of this lens.

It's a poor lens that falls short of expectations.

Registered: September, 2010
Location: US
Lens Review Date: December 20, 2010 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: $168.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Very versatile range, compact, light weight
Cons: slow autofocus, slow lens, sub-par image quality, low contrast

I wish I could give this lens a 6.5. I bought it used. This was my first lens coming from a Fuji super zoom several years ago and it has served me well. I find even my 30+ year old prime lenses give more pleasing results. They have more punch, more vibrancy, and more character.

That said this is a very safe lens. Images won't look great but they won't look terrible and you'll consistently get the same results. Wide open and at the end of its zoom range it does get frustratingly soft but for a walk-around or travel lens it does OK. I'd recommend it for someone new to DSLR because once you take a few thousand pictures you can do like I did and figure out what focal lengths you really use and then invest in better glass at those lengths.

Despite having 'MACRO' in the name I would not consider this a macro lens. It does focus close and at the very edge of its range (when it is softest) it's close focusing approaches macro range. If you can live without autofocus and you want to do macro photography I feel there are much better lenses for the same price.

The auto-focus is slow and often inaccurate on my K100D but I think that may be somewhat my camera's fault--at least as far as accuracy is concerned. Unfortunately I cannot calibrate my K100D like the latter models and rule out this possibility.

When I would recommend this lens: new users, people traveling light, budget conscious buyers

When I would NOT recommend this lens: if image quality is paramount, sports/action

Registered: September, 2008
Location: Pickering, Ontario, Canada
Lens Review Date: October 10, 2008 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $370.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: quite crisp, handy locking mechanism, solid build, range
Cons: weight, aperture range

This is a good lens for the casual shooter (of which I am... Most of the time).

I bought this lens to replace the previous 18-300 version, that I shot with for about a year. The biggest downfall of the 18-300, was the fact that it would "walk out" on you (inappropriate zoom!), while you were walking with it. This one has a lock that you can engage when you want/need to (i.e. hiking). Also, the version of the 18-300 that I have, has a pretty "soft" focus, and wielded varying results (even in a burst of shots).

The sacrifice of the extra 10mm at the wide end was justifiable to me in order to have the macro at the other end on this model.

It gives a nice, wide, low end and a decent tele on the other end. It could be quicker, in regards to both focusing in low light and aperture, but for the price I got if for (less than $400 CDN), I have no complaints.
Add Review of Tamron 28-300mm F3.5-6.3 XR Di AF

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:46 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!