Log in or register to remove ads.

Third-Party Pentax Lenses - Reviews and Database » Tamron Lenses » Zoom Lenses
Tamron 70-200mm F2.8 Di LD Macro Review RSS Feed

Tamron 70-200mm F2.8 Di LD Macro

85 296,014 Fri May 14, 2021
Tamron 70-200mm F2.8 Di LD Macro

The Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 Di LD (IF) Macro Lens is a telephoto zoom lens with a large maximum aperture of F2.8 throughout the zoom range. It focuses down to just 3.1' (0.95 m) throughout its entire zoom range, with a maximum macro magnification ratio of 1:3.1 at  the 200mm. end.

Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F2.8 Di LD [IF] Macro

APS-C: 22-8 ° / 18.5-6 °
Full frame: 34-12 ° / 29-10 °
Multi-coated
Tripod Mount
89.5x194 mm (3.5x7.6 in.)
2008 to 2018
Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F2.8 Di LD [IF] Macro
A001

Add Review of Tamron 70-200mm F2.8 Di LD Macro
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 85

Registered: June, 2010
Location: Wiltshire

Lens Review Date: May 14, 2021 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $395.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Price (used)/performance ratio; IQ (f/3.2 - f8); close-focus capability
Cons: Soft, but useable, at f/2.8; simply adequate AF (neither whippet-nor sloth-like)
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 8    Value: 9    Camera Used: Pentax K-3

I'll let these images speak for me:

Registered: September, 2020
Lens Review Date: September 19, 2020 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: optical quality
Cons: screw drive focus
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: Kp

A crisp clear lens with really excellent optical quality. However the autofocus is a bit lost with this lens, and the screw drive is sloooooow.

Excellent results in astrophotography

Registered: October, 2019
Lens Review Date: September 5, 2020 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Super sklo,ve všech aspektech,ostrý jak břitva.
Cons: Nic.
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K 5-IIs

Skvělé sklo. Váha adekvátní velikosti. 9 lamel. Je to prostě skvělé sklo, velmi doporučuji. Jen někdy hledá AF, ale s tím jsem počítal a věděl jsem to o něm. Clona 2.8 je super a ostrost na největší clonu je skvělá. Jestli se chcete podívat.... Zaklikl jsem ANO- DOPORUČUJI a pořád se objevuje ne. Chyba.

Tyto nahrané fotografie ztratily ostrost,asi komprimací.

Registered: August, 2017
Lens Review Date: February 2, 2020 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $400.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp, affordable
Cons: AF, not WR
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 8    Value: 9    Camera Used: K1

My sharpest Lens. Wonderfull for portraits. Nice bokeh. The AF is not really state of the art nowadays. But anyway. Im not a sports photograf.

Registered: May, 2010
Location: WA
Lens Review Date: October 1, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $350.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, affordable
Cons: Some AF hunting, MF very touchy focusing on distance objects

Picked up used at a great price. I loved my 50-135mm F2.8, but wanted a bit more length. The autofocus does occasionally go hunting, but mostly hits the target correctly. I tend to shoot manual mostly, so not a big issue for me. IQ was the most important feature for me, and the sharpness is quite good. My only issue is shooting objects at a distance, the lens focusing seems to be very touchy on object further than 300 feet.

Registered: October, 2018
Location: Paris
Lens Review Date: July 4, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: image quality
Cons: weight, autofocus
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 5    Value: 8    Camera Used: K-1

I have very mixed feelings about this lense.

I can't give a bad overall score, because of the fabulous image quality for the price.

But I took it for sport, and the maximum focal is not enough on a FF body, if you are not closed to the field. Worse, the autofocus is far too slow for action / drive mode + continuous AF.

You can use it this lens for portraitures, and it will be great ! but I usually use primes lenses instead for that use.

Surprisingly, when looking at the focal lenght, I'm happier in using this length for landscapes. It's a good lense when you move for a few days, but not for long travels, where weight and size are a problem : I'd better take my old Pentax F 70-210 instead (slower but lighter, noisier but by far quicker to focus) or any 70-300mm.

Registered: June, 2018

Lens Review Date: April 16, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp as brass tacks. Gorgous Bokeh. Price.
Cons: Build quality won't compare to a DFA* 70-200
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax K7

Fantastic lens, they kept telling me it's a giant killer and I can absolutely confirm that. I've had it about 8 months (Wow has it been that long?!) though I purchased it and the had to build me a copy in Japan to meet UK supply.

I love it. I literally cannot praise it enough, in terms of cost versus quality, yes of course you're losing build quality and it's not WR but my goodness it delivers! It can be a touch soft at 2.8 but you dont buy a 800 dollar lens to just shot at 2.8. Once you're up at 4.5 it's just sublime.

Wide open

Registered: July, 2007
Location: North West UK
Lens Review Date: February 1, 2019 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $700.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp! Bargain price, fast focusing. Great colours.
Cons: "Only" screw AF. some occasional issues focusing in low light
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-1 K-3II K-70

When it comes to "bang for your buck" this lens positively proves it. It is very sharp, possibly too sharp in the studio with the K-1. Oh boy do you have to work PP to reduce the sharpness as opposed to making an image sharper. This though, is a good thing, I prefer an image to pull back than trying to sharpen.

It is quite big, but lighter than other 70-200mm F2.8 lenses, which is great. But of course that is due to the lack of silent AF and sealing. But unless you are going to shoot outside in the rain, not a problem.

There is one minor issue that the lens has (well my copy). shooting in the studio, and the light is less then normal, it starts off fine, but then struggles to shoot when locked on with the K-1. Put another lens on the body, it is fine. Seems that the lens gets to a point of "had enough for a bit" when it comes to focusing in lower light before the flash triggers. Very odd. Give it a rest, and all is fine. Like I say odd.

But overall, this is an excellent lens.

Registered: January, 2017
Lens Review Date: October 21, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great for sports and action, nature, low light, sharpness
Cons: Heavy, screw drive
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 8    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-S2

Purchased this lens to shoot action sports--baseball, soccer, basketball- and nature in lower light and it works great. Normally on a tripod or monopod, I found it produces crisp, sharp photos of action at shutter speeds around 1/1000 and apertures of only f/4 to f5.6, and an ISO of less than 1600. It's great in low light situations. Additionally, really works great for nature photography. Yes, its heavy and a bit of a challenge to work with. I tried to take it on several hikes but it does weigh you down. I've moved to the 55-300 PLM version for those trips sacrificing the low light capability. It's build very solid and I just love the results, and the price/value is fantastic. I have also paired it with my Tamron 1.4x tele-converter and the results have been fine. The issue of the older screw drive technology or some noise doesn't bother. Its a great lens that will remain part of my kit for its sharpness and low light capability.

Registered: October, 2015

Lens Review Date: August 23, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $500.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Image quality
Cons: Heavy,
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 8    Value: 10    Camera Used: K3

I bought this lens during my 4 month trip in Japan, and I have tested it there.
It adds me a lot of weight, but it was totally worth it: the image quality is just awesome. The handling might be hard, specially when I want to switch to manual focus. But for the price I payed (60000 Japanese Yen), I can forgive some small issues.
I would definitely recomand it.

Registered: March, 2016
Lens Review Date: September 20, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: ALL except...
Cons: weight and size, not wr?
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 8    Value: 10    Camera Used: K3II

An incredible lens, with excellent optical quality, its sharp at f2.8, incredible at f3.5. It works perfectly with the Kenko Pz-Af x1.5 teleconverter although at 2.8 (4 with the teleconverter) it loses a little sharpnes and contrast (something even interesting for portrait). At F3.2 very well and to 3.5 excellent again. When using this combo the camera does not recognize the duplicator so for her we are using the 70-200 without the teleconverter and this is triggered in that the stabilizer does not work so well but I have been able to make sharp photos at speeds slightly above 1 / 100. Focusing sometimes it takes a little but only when the x1.4 is on.
May not be the best example (iso 500) but you can get an idea of the potential of this combo. K3II with the teleconverter at f2.8 (f4) ISO 500, 100% crop. and original. UNPROCESED RAW.

Pentax 60-250 f4...?
Pentax 70-200 2.8...?
Pentax x1.4 teleconverter...?

Tamron 70-200 2.8 600$
Kenko PzAf x1.4 150$

Registered: November, 2016
Location: Vungtau
Lens Review Date: February 16, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp at 2.8 all length focal, fast AF
Cons: Heavy, noise AF, silly AF/MF switch
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 8    Value: 9    Camera Used: K-5 IIs

This is my first 70-200 2.8 lens. This lens is sharp at 2.8 and ultimate sharp from 4 to 5.6 all length focal. Auto focus with screw is faster than my old DA*50-135.
2 thing i dont like this lens is super heavy and af/mf switch...

Registered: March, 2015

Lens Review Date: November 5, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $560.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Price, sharpness
Cons: sound is on a loud side, but nothing you can not live with
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 8    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-1, K-3

I had this lens for almost 2 years now on my k-3 and just couple months ago upgraded to the K-1
heaps of sharpness and quality gains on k-1 compared to k-3, however k-3 was no slacker either.
just recently it started to act up, focusing motor seemed to not work properly. even in the manual mode I could feel the weight on it.
I had the feeling that somethings were scraping on the inside against each other.
So, long story short I risked and took the lens apart!
This was probably very stupid to do, but judging by the outcome, I could not be happier !
WORKS LIKE NEW !
here is the disassembly process if you're interested: https://goo.gl/fW0Im6
ofcourse pentax 70-200 f/2.8 is a better lens that this (which is just a refresh from tamron)
but for the price, you really can't beat what you're getting
however if you need weather resistance and better focusing speeds, definitely go with pentax variant

Location: Denver, Colorado

Lens Review Date: October 19, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $599.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast, sharp, price
Cons: Collar, AF/MF clutch
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 8    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax K-3II

Tamron has produced a remarkable lens. For action sports, outdoor portraits or close wildlife photography this lens is an amazing value. Fast f/2.8 constant aperture gives sharp images even wide open. Stopping down only a 1/3 f-stop produces superbly clean edge to edge images.

This lens has everything I need and nothing I don't. It is a simple and robust design. The barrel is solid, well fitted and feels great in hand. The focusing and zoom rings are lightly dampened with no play. The front element and overall lens length does not change during zoom or focus which makes the balance consistent during use.

The tried and true screw drive auto focusing may be a bit slower and noisier versus newer hypersonic (HSM, SDM) type systems. But those systems are prone to failure and screw drive always works. On my Pentax K-3 focusing is fast at all distances even in low light.

The tripod collar is solid and spins smoothly. There are no detents to identify rotation by feel so you must line up marks on the barrel.

The hood fits well and nicely reverses for storage. The hood lacks a filter access door so polarizer users may be frustrated.

Compared to the Pentax alternative makes this purchase a no brainer. The Pentax is 3 times the price. It offers weather sealing, a more complex optical design and perhaps marginal improvements in autofocusing speed. Thankfully Pentax is dropping the infamous "SDM" in favor of the "DC" motors. Overall I am hard pressed to find a reason to buy the Pentax.

The Tamron lens is made in Japan.

Registered: June, 2015
Location: South West UK

Lens Review Date: May 22, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $420.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: IQ
Cons: Silly AF Clutch
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 8    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-3II

Wow.
Fantastic value. Extremely good lens, optically.
I use this lens a lot for dog photography, it's perfect for long range action candids and narrow DoF portraits while being able to stand back, out of their 'zone of interest'. Also fantastic for head and shoulders portraits, but you'd need to be in the next county for a full length shot. Also useful for garden birds and not-too-distant, not-too-speedy, sports work.
AF is fairly fast and accurate on my K-3II although it was a little disappointing on my old K-50. It is screwdrive, so is a bit noisy compared to a DC/SDM type...not that bad though.
Enough has already been said about the AF clutch switch - just silly, but you do get used to it and you're not likely to be switching that often to be too much of a problem.
All in all, for the price you are hard pushed to fault this lens.
Add Review of Tamron 70-200mm F2.8 Di LD Macro

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:08 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!