Third-Party Pentax Lenses - Reviews and Database » Tamron Lenses » Current Zoom Lenses
Tamron 70-300mm F4-5.6 AF Di LD Macro Review RSS Feed

6.7
 7.6
59 189,401 Mon December 30, 2019
Tamron 70-300mm F4-5.6 AF Di LD Macro

Compact tele-zoom lens with macro 1:2 function. A Macro Switchover mechanism allows a minimum focus distance of 0.95m within the focal length range of 180-300mm. This allows for a maximum magnification ratio of 1:2.

Tamron AF 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di LD Macro

Tamron AF 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di LD Macro
A17

Buy Lens: Buy the Tamron 70-300mm F4-5.6 AF Di LD Macro
Price: $199
Mount Type: Pentax KAF2/KAF (screwdrive AF)

Add Review of Tamron 70-300mm F4-5.6 AF Di LD Macro Buy the Tamron 70-300mm F4-5.6 AF Di LD Macro
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 16-30 of 59

Registered: February, 2014
Location: Warsaw

Lens Review Date: July 30, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $120.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Decent sharp wide open, good IQ, chep, macro
Cons: Slow focusing
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 7    Handling: 8    Value: 9    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-500

From at least few sources I have heard that this lens offers the best sharpness of all budget 300mm zooms at long end. So I bought one to check it out. Comparing it to other three cheap zooms I have owned it is one of the sharpest. I can compare it to Sigma 75-300mm DL macro, and it is better than FAJ 75-300 and F 100-300. In general all lenses I have owned are very similar. In centre of image all are almost the same but the Tamron is indeed the best but not by much. It offers good sharpness through whole image. While both FAJ and F has some problems with sharpness in the corners.
The thing that surprised me the most is IQ wide open which, is really good (as for 300mm budget zoom) images are pretty sharp and clear.
I gave it 8 for sharpness but only because it is the sharpest budget 300mm zoom I have owned. Of course if you have used good quality 300mm prime it will disappoint you but as cheap 300mm zoom it is good.

From my experience and many reviews I have read conclusion is as follows, all "reasonably priced" 300mm zooms are very similar, and each copy may work differently. For some Tamron is better than Sigma for other Pentax is better and the other way around...
Unfortunately there is no one simple answer and you will have to check it by yourself.

PS.
I like this lens, my copy is really nice and the more I use it the more I like it. Lens is sharp to 230-240 mm above is quite soft. Unlike like my other 300mm lens this one is useful full open.

Location: Devon

Lens Review Date: July 26, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $186.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Macro, Price
Cons: As has been mentioned
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 6    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 7    Handling: 8    Value: 9    New or Used: New    Camera Used: Pentax K-r

As has already been said, many times, this lens has problems. It's also cheap and when used properly produces great photos. I use it mainly for macro and also use manual focus a lot.

Lens Review Date: February 6, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $189.00 | Rating: 8

Pros:
Cons:
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 7    Handling: 8    Value: 8    New or Used: New

I had it with my Kx. meanwhile, I had 18-55 kit lens, fa 43mm f1.9.

It was my main lens when shooting photos that need zoom lens.
It was OK outdoors, not good indoors, because of its speed.
It has macro capability. But shooting macro with it is quite good. Because, minimum focus distance is 0.95m. macro spec is 1:2. then, you don't have to reach to insects to shoot them, good point. But zooming till 300mm to shoot small object needs steady hand. I use often flash light to use high exposure speed.

300mm at F5.6 for macro is fine for me. Of course, I needed higher F number to catch all small body in focus.

Sharpness: 9/10: I shoot some portraits at 90-150mm, It cave me sharp enough results.
Bokeh: 8/10: at higher focal lengh with minimum aperture to shoot close object were giving me nice blurred background. So I rated highly for this f3.5-5.6 lens.
Autofocus: 7/10: Weakest point. So slow and noisy in focusing. but it was accurate.
Handling: 8/10: Not that heavy. But minimum focus distance is 1.5m in normal use. It is far distance. It stops its indoor usage.
Value: 8/10: It is cheap if you want its focal range and macro capabilities, and If you have it within $200 for new one. It is overpriced, If you buy it at $350 from many stores. Now, I sold it. I won't buy one again. Saving money for 70-200 f2.8 is better way.
Over-All: 8/10: It is not good as expensive ones, but it can do the job.

Registered: January, 2014

Lens Review Date: January 2, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $175.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp between 70 and 200mm
Cons: A lot of CA, slow AF
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 5    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 7    Handling: 8    Value: 10    New or Used: New

I like this lens. It's very cheap and sharp but only at 70-200 range.

Location: Batam
Lens Review Date: June 26, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $110.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Price, Macro function, sharp.
Cons: Soft at longer zoom, noisy focus, plastic
Sharpness: 7    Aberrations: 6    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 6    Handling: 9    Value: 9    New or Used: New

This lens is quite good for it price 110 dollar absolutely yes for me to buy it.

what i like about it:
  • Price
  • image quality at 70mm - 200m
  • sharp at wide open, very sharp at F8-11
  • decent focusing speed
  • weight
  • great for portrait
what i dont like about it:
  • Soft, Color abortion problem at long range 200 - 300mm
  • noisy and focus finding
  • it size! 30cm long at 300mm on nearer focus
  • weird macro mode only enable at 180-300mm
  • slow focusing speed when macro enable using manual focus better.
  • losing color and contrast at long end.
my conclusion is this lens is good for beginner, studio work, and wild life it doenst break your bank or need sell your soul to buy one.

this is some sample.

Registered: September, 2012
Location: Frederick, CO
Lens Review Date: April 7, 2013 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: $199.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: very good optics for the price, 1:2 macro, metal mount
Cons: some CA, lens rotates on zoom and focus, cheap construction
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 7    Autofocus: 6    Handling: 7    Value: 8    New or Used: New

This is a decent lens, but nothing to brag about. For the price, you get pretty good optics, very good macro for a tele-zoom, good reach, a hood, and a 6-year warranty. A good deal ... for the price.

I sold it, though, because it softens a bit at 300mm, has some CA issues (I could have lived with those two things), and (the big reason) the rotating barrel drove me crazy. Pull the lens out of the bag, with hood mounted in reverse, and try to remove the hood before taking off the lens cap -- first the lens cap gets knocked off because it's a bit wider than the hood opening, then the barrel rotates out all the way before giving you resistance to rotate against to get the hood off.

If you budget is very tight and/or you're not picky, this lens is a good choice, but seriously just save up a bit more and get a better lens. I think perhaps the DA 55-300mm would be the recommended next option.

Location: Texas

Lens Review Date: January 10, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $200.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Price, Weight, No weakness
Cons: Plastic
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 8    Value: 10    New or Used: New

Amazingly good for the price. I made many excellent photos of wildlife with this lense, at full aperture. Excellent color rendition.
Things I don't like, but very common these days: non-telescopic sun shade, minimum focus distance (1.5m: not practical at 70mm), no aperture ring (I dislike using the wheel on the camera).
I just revised the sharpness rating: after testing, I noticed that the edges and corners are blurry at 300mm and full aperture. Usually not a problem for wildlife.

Registered: July, 2011
Location: Denmark
Lens Review Date: January 4, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $185.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: sharp, good range and cheap
Cons: noisy auto focus
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 6    Handling: 8    Value: 9    New or Used: New

What a pleasant surprise! According to what I was reading on the net I did not expect much of this lens. The colors are also great and I cannot see any difference from Pentax lenses. My only complain is the noisy auto focus. Great value for the money.

Registered: June, 2011
Location: Kaliningrad region
Lens Review Date: November 4, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $130.00 | Rating: 1

Pros: Zoom
Cons: Very bad lens
Sharpness: 7    Aberrations: 3    Bokeh: 4    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 7    Value: 8    New or Used: Used

Registered: January, 2010
Lens Review Date: September 29, 2012 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: None indicated | Rating: 6

Pros: Macro
Cons: Soft; unpleasant color rendering
Sharpness: 5    Aberrations: 6    Bokeh: 7    Autofocus: 6    Handling: 8    Value: 6    New or Used: New

This is one of softest telescope lenses I have ever used. I felt lucky that I did not purchase it because of its low price. There is no free lunch when it comes to shooting wild life. People expect magic to happen that they could purchase cheapo lens and get good result comparable to really good telescope lenses. Not here. Very soft at the far end.

Wild life shooting is a really demanding task. If your telescope lens could not resolve the hairy details from a wild life at far end of focal length, forget about that lens. I have seen the comment from a reputable source "www.photozone.de" saying that this lens is usable up to 200 mm. My immediate comment to that is why does one buy this lens if the most wanted far-end local length from a telescope lens is not capable of rendering useful images.

Don't compromise your expectation on the wild life shooting just because its cheap price. It is simply not worthy. My $29 vintage lens Tokina RMC 70-210 f4 is even much sharper than this lens.

Registered: July, 2012
Lens Review Date: September 16, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $185.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Range, Price
Cons: IQ, Rotating focus
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 8    Value: 8    New or Used: New

one of the cheapest solution to LBA and get super zoom at the same time.
Overall a good lens for beginner and in proper light fast and good IQ with good reach
Some bit of halo can be seen in strong light
AF is slow compared to many other lens but accurate

Registered: May, 2012
Location: Brasov, Romania
Lens Review Date: May 11, 2012 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: $167.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: range, price
Cons: CA
Sharpness: 7    Aberrations: 3    Bokeh: 5    Autofocus: 4    Handling: 8    Value: 5    New or Used: New

For a beginner is OK but CA is visible (sometimes horrid!?). AF hunts in low light. It's OK in good light.
Aberatii cromatice mari (chiar prea mari uneori). Autofocus jenant in lumina slaba. Pe lumina buna e ok.

Registered: April, 2010
Location: Erie, PA

Lens Review Date: August 29, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $135.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharpness, Bokeh, contrast, color rendition, lightweight and PRICE
Cons: Purple fringing, slight zoom creep
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 5    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10

I have had this lens for about a year now and It is my second favorite lens next to my Pentax-F 50mm F/1.7. The Sharpness, bokeh, color rendition and contrast are top notch. You lose a bit of color and contrast wide open at 300mm but for the pice...well it is the bargain of the year. I use this lens for everything from shooting soccer games to portraits to macros of butterflies and insects. Yes its not a true macro and its doen't kick in till after 180mm but it really does come in handy when you are trying to sneak up on a jumpy critter. The purple fringing in highlight areas really is the problem with this lens but so far it has been easy to get rid of in post processing. This lens is always with me and the fact that it is so light and versatile make it an easy choice.

Registered: June, 2011
Lens Review Date: August 11, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $240.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Super telezoom with low price and low weight
Cons: Built quality, handling somewhat impractical, image quality
Sharpness: 5    Aberrations: 1    Bokeh: 4    Autofocus: 6    Handling: 2    Value: 10

This is clearly a cheap lens. Even I can see this: things wobble a bit when you manipulate it, image quality at 300mm is clearly not best, not very sharp and with a lot of CAs. But it is enough to view on-screen unless you really want to crop (but anyway you have already zoomed, so you don't need to crop anymore, do you?)

The macro thing is most unpractical: you have to zoom to at least 180mm, then switch the macro on. Now to zoom out you must first switch the macro off. Bit tedious. Putting the hood on is a pain, as the front element rotates to focus you'll need to hold it tightly, and then to put it off (reversed) you just' can't hold it so it will turn: you'd better put it in MF before if you don't want to damage the AF motor.

AF is ok, not as noisy and slow as I had expected it. There is no quick shift MF. MF is ok, a bit soft but the range is fairly large so it is doable.

But for this amazingly low price, I got a 300mm zoom which is light enough to be taken in the bag everywhere, and it can take fairly close-up macros. Now that's really amazing, and despite all the limitations I'd still recommend the lens at this price!

Registered: May, 2011
Lens Review Date: August 5, 2011 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: $100.00 | Rating: 2

Pros: Cheap
Cons: Cheap quality, soft at 300, horrid CA, focus hunt, broke first day(!!!)

My copy of this lens may have been exceptionally bad. I also suspect that a returned lens may have been sold to me as new, so I may have inherited someone else's problems.

I was only able to take about 20 shots with this lens before the aperture lever broke. I was shooting, and between shots the viewfinder just went dark. Poof - dead lens. It was permanently stuck at its smallest aperture, and I couldn't even get it to open by moving the aperture lever manually (it was locked solidly).

Of the shots I did get, I was very disappointed when I reviewed them. There was horrible chromatic aberration on every other shot (very bad purple fringing wherever there was a contrasty edge). The lens was soft at 300. The macro mode was more or less a gimmick. The lens caused a lot of focus hunting in what should have been more than adequate lighting (outdoors, afternoon sun, conditions that don't cause problems with any of my other lenses).

I was not a happy camper. I returned this lens the next day, and exchanged it for a Sigma 70-300 f/4-5.6 DG which is MUCH BETTER. I'll review it separately.

Bottom line: This lens is cheap for a reason. It's very cheaply built, and this whole experience has soured me on ever wanting to try another Tamron budget lens. Best advice, forget it and go Sigma.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:50 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!