Third-Party Pentax Lenses - Reviews and Database » Tamron Lenses » Legacy Zoom Lenses
Tamron 70-300mm F4-5.6 AF LD Macro Review RSS Feed

Tamron 70-300mm F4-5.6 AF LD Macro

3 18,237 Sat January 14, 2017
Tamron 70-300mm F4-5.6 AF LD Macro

From Tamron's Brochure:
AF70-300mm F/4-5.6 LD Macro
This super-telephoto lens with a high zoom ratio covers a wide range of 4.3x yet is only 115.5mm (4.5in). A steady and firm zooming mechanism with superb endurance reduces instability of the cam barrels, resulting in high picture quality throughout the range. The lens is ideal for capturing truly candid shots at 70mm or taking close-up photos of wild birds or animals while remaining at a non-intrusive distance at the 300mm super-telephoto end. A minimum focusing distance of 1.5m (59in) and a maximum magnification of 1:3.8 are powerful enough for good tele-macro photography of flowers and insects.

Model 472D
Aperture: f/4-5.6
Minimum Aperture: 22
Construction: 13 Elements-9 Groups
Angle of View: 34-8 degrees.
Minimum Focus: 1.5 m
Filter Size: 58 mm
Length: 115.5 mm
Weight: 505 grams
Macro Ratio: 1:3.8
Coating: Multi-coated
Focus System: Automatic (Screw Drive)
Discontinued: 2001

Add Review of Tamron 70-300mm F4-5.6 AF LD Macro
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-3 of 3

Lens Review Date: January 14, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $25.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: long focal range, reasonably sharp, nice bokeh
Cons: Slightly washed out colors
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 9    Camera Used: Kx, K10D

My Tamron infatuation continues with this latest lens acquisition and I seem to become more of a fan with each one. While I'm not as in love with it as I am with my 28-105mm Tamron that lives on the front of my Kx, it is still a worthy addition to my collection. The lens feels well built and Zooming and focusing are smooth and I don't notice any zoom creep. I just like the feel Tamron's rubber-coated lens barrels. Mine does vary slightly from the one in the photo in that it has the Tamron name molded into the rubber grip in raised letters instead of the ribbed grip. I'm not sure whether that makes it an earlier or later model but it does match my other two Tamrons. The lens delivers sharp Images but colors are slightly muted. Granted, this that could be partly because I took my test shots on an overcast winter afternoon. With that in mind, I may come back and amend my assessment later. But even with that shortcoming in mind, I find the lens to have a pleasant bokeh but it's also nice and sharp, even zoomed to a full 300mm. Interestingly, the camera mistakes this lens for one of four different Sigma models. Although this lens bills itself as a 'tele-macro' lens, it's definitely more 'tele' than 'macro'. While definitely best suited for pulling in distant objects, it will certainly take okay "close-up" photos of smaller objects--albeit from about a yard away--and there is no true macro mode. But all in all, I have other lenses that are far more capable when it comes to macro photography. Still, with a understanding and acceptance of this lens' strengths and limitations, it can be a valuable addition to one's kit.

Registered: August, 2011
Location: San Diego
Lens Review Date: March 31, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $10.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Cheap, very good IQ
Cons: Zoom creep, internal blind can come loose
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 8    Value: 10    Camera Used: K5IIs

I got this in "new-ish" condition (boxed, with sales receipt, etc.) from a thrift shop for, I guess $6. Soon after using it I noticed that a circular piece on the inside had shifted off-center. This piece is on the back of the front element. Its a circular band that blocks the outer 1/4 inch. It's glued to the back, and had shifted off-center. The lens still worked, but I wonder how IQ was affected by this. Using an art tool I was able to take the element out, and right the blind, but I didn't put it back in correctly. I hope that now it's back in correctly that the blind won't move again. It did move, and having to fix it a second time made me notice that the element wasn't put in correctly the first time I did it. Unfortunately, I scratched the lens the second time I worked on it. The lens might have been scratched when I bought it, and I just didn't notice.

It's a pretty good lens in general. I wouldn't use it for a paid shoot, but I'd have no problem using it for personal pics.

I think the retail price on this was $289 when it was bought in 1989. I'd say that lenses are less expensive today.

In Adobe Bridge it shows up as a Sigma.

Registered: May, 2013
Lens Review Date: July 17, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $20.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Decent zoom especially for the money
Cons: considerably more purple fringing than DA 55-300
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 7    Value: 10

First of all I am not a professional photographer so keep that in mind as you read my review. Okay, so the lens I have is actually a Promaster AF70-300 F/4-5.6 Macro Autofocus Zoom Lens Spectrum 7. When I downloaded pictures to Lightroom 5 and selected Enable Lens Correction the fields automatically populated with the Tamron 70-300 AF LD Macro. After some research it indeed appears my Promaster is a rebadged Tamron. So, with that out of the way I decided to do a comparison between this lens and my DA 55-300. I was very surprised to see that the Promaster/Tamron (from now on I'll call it: Pro/Tam) was "basically" just as sharp as the Pentax. By "basically" I mean that the differences were negligible enough that I would have no problem keeping the $20 Pro/Tam as my zoom lens and selling my DA 55-300 and use the proceeds to go toward the Pentax 18-135WR.

So what were some of the differences? Well, while i wouldn't say the Pentax images were any sharper, I would say that the Pentax did a better job of accurately nailing the focus more often that the Pro?Tam. The next thing I noticed was that the Pentax lens was noisier at high ISO than the Pro/Tam. The Pro/Tam does have some short-falls though, the biggest being a marked increase in purple fringing. ...This is very easy to fix in Lightroom. The other thing is that it only zooms in to 70mm.
Add Review of Tamron 70-300mm F4-5.6 AF LD Macro

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:56 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!