Third-Party Pentax Lenses - Reviews and Database » Tamron Lenses » Legacy Zoom Lenses
Tamron 278D AF 80-210mm 1:4.5-5.6 Review RSS Feed

8.2
7 33,791 Mon May 1, 2017
Tamron 278D AF 80-210mm 1:4.5-5.6

Tamron AF 80-210mm 1:4.5-5.6
This is a very light lens, 281g (9.9oz), according to one online vendor. My version also includes the number 278D (mentioned in an old thread as a model number,) and manufactured in China.

Add Review of Tamron 278D AF 80-210mm 1:4.5-5.6
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-7 of 7

Registered: April, 2017
Lens Review Date: May 1, 2017 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: $30.00 | Rating: 5

Pros: lightweight, silent and somewhat-fast focus
Cons: IQ, colour aberration
Sharpness: 6    Aberrations: 5    Bokeh: 5    Handling: 8    Value: 7    Camera Used: Pentax K-50

I have put this lens against a more recent Tamron 70-300, and the older 80-210 cannot match the modern opponent. The sharpness of my copy of the 80-210 is not acceptable, according to my taste.

You see a number of full-res cops here, along with my considerations:

Lens Review Date: August 4, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $35.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: really sharp lens
Cons: few CA's
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 8

perhaps there are some troubles of production or an improvement of newer lenses?

My tokina 2,6-2,8/28-70 or Meyer Domiplan 2,8 was my worst lens because of strong CA's - but this one is a normal lens, well corrected, not without CA's, but acceptable.

flare stopped down a few not remarcable,nice colours, good contrast

this is not my best lens, but for me a really fine performer

averidge 8,6 points = 9 points

Location: Madrid, Spain
Lens Review Date: May 15, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $30.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Cheap, light, smooth zoom, fast AF
Cons: Not the sharpest, purple fringing, rotating and extending focus ring
Sharpness: 6    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 8    Value: 6    Camera Used: K3

I picked up this lens for 25 and decided to take a chance.

It's average size for the focal lengths covered, but very light. The build quality isn't the best but I've seen a lot worse and the focusing and zoom are very smooth indeed. The aperture ring also clicks nicely. AF is fast but not exceptionally so.

This lens doesn't produce the sharpest results at any aperture. There's virtually no change in this aspect stopping down to smaller apertures or at different focal lengths. It's not really sharp enough to be acceptable wide open and stays that way. Purple fringing is the same - it's always present to some degree at every aperture setting and focal length.

The focusing ring, in fact the whole extending zoom barrel, not only turns when focusing but as you focus closer the focusing ring moves away from the camera, which is annoying and makes manual focusing tricky.

Image quality isn't great but it's not terrible either. The light weight and nice feel of the lens make me like it overall. I plan to mostly use it on film where I doubt either the resolution or fringing will be noticeable at all.

Location: Cirebon
Lens Review Date: December 24, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $88.89 | Rating: 8

Pros: Speedy AF, Lightweight, Sharp even wide open in whole range
Cons: CA
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 3    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 10

I've got this lens with metal mount not plastic as seen in picture and I was surprised .

One negative thing this lens is PF, CA, PF and CA, it's so terrible but i can't complaint with the price.

This lens much better and better than Tamron Di 70-300 especially for speedy AF and sharpness. Both of them have CA problem.

Lens Review Date: November 5, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $30.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Blazing AF!, sharp stopped down, smooth zoom
Cons: Purple fringing, CA
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 9    Value: 10

No reason not to like it. It can be acquired on the cheap and the AF speed is truly something to behold. The DA 55-300 is positively snail-like comparing speed. It's not perfect. Wide open, the CA is fairly obvious but not that bad. Stopped down to f9 is it's sweet spot. It's actually rather sharp at f9. There is still some PF even at f9 but it's only on really bright highlights and that can be cleaned up in RAW. You can see that as well as the somewhat cool color in the shot below. The zoom mechanism is very smooth to the point that zoom creep is an issue but that also means that smooth continuous zooming while shooting is easy. It is also VERY light meaning it's a great all-day shooter. Handles flare fairly well and generally contrast is pretty good even without the hood. Bokeh is nothing fabulous and has distinct rings around OOF highlights. Then again, this is not a super smooth portrait lens. It's best use would be sports considering the AF speed.

I recently shot much of an airshow with it. The AF is so fast I got shots many lenses would miss.

I should note I have the Promaster version which differs only in the grip style. You can find it even cheaper than the identical Tamron.

Russian Mig - Just under Mach 1. (no adjustments, no cropping). Yup, that's it's shadow on the ground just in front of it.

Registered: September, 2011
Lens Review Date: October 31, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $70.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Lightweight, small, cheap, fast AF, good value
Cons: CA, seems to struggle with high resolution, occasional metering issues, poor contrast
Sharpness: 7    Aberrations: 3    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 8    Value: 8

First of all this is a great budget lens but it does suffer in a few areas because of this.

The pros: very light, and small and is a great lens to have in your bag if you're out and about. When it's on my K-X the whole package is very light indeed so pretty easy to keep steady. The AF is lightening fast too, certainly when compared to the Pentax 55-300 DAL. It's sharp-ish but nothing exceptional.

The con: It has terrible CA in just about any situation where there's any sort of contrast in the light, but if you're shooting in RAW then it's easily fixed afterwards. It does also seem to struggle with resolution at the longer focal lengths which is a bit of a problem. The biggest annoyance for me though (and this may just be my copy) is that when you shoot at anything over f8-ish the metering is woeful unless you choose spot metering. Otherwise, everything is hopelessly over exposed and blown out past the point of recovery.

All in all though this lens is a great budget buy and I have no regrets at the moment. Obviously, in an ideal world there are telephoto lenses I'd rather have in my bag but until I can spare a 1000 I see no point in upgrading. A few sample shots below. They've been sharpened a little and had some contrast boosts:

Angry Otters by andy_grundy, on Flickr

Take Off by andy_grundy, on Flickr

Roadside Flowers by andy_grundy, on Flickr

Registered: June, 2008
Location: Bergerac, France
Lens Review Date: March 26, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $20.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Light weight, really fast focusing, sharp even wide open
Cons: CA in against the light shots

I acquired my example of this lens in an eBay package costing $40 with an SFX and a Pentax f 35-70. Both the SFX and the 35-70 are essentially junk, but this lens turned out to be a treasure, despite also being damaged.

Although I have had it for more than 6 months I have only just started to use it. There is internal dust, everything wobbles and there is quite a nasty scratch on the front element, but it rises above these challenges

The speed at which it finds focus is astounding for a non HSM lens. It is lightning fast. Although it is best stopped down a little it really performs very well indeed at all focal lengths even when wide open.

I am in two minds about whether to try to find a cosmetically better example, but then I have one that works really well despite the war wounds.

At this price how could you lose even if it were a mediocre performer? But it isn't mediocre, it's quite astounding.

I'll post some example shots later - got a busy weekend ahead.
Add Review of Tamron 278D AF 80-210mm 1:4.5-5.6

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:22 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!