Third-Party Pentax Lenses - Reviews and Database » Tamron Adaptall Lenses » Prime Lenses
Tamron Tamron Adaptall-2 SP 300mm f/2.8 LD (107B) Review RSS Feed

7.0
 6.5
2 2,352 Wed December 21, 2016

Tamron Tamron Adaptall-2 SP 300mm f/2.8 LD (107B)

"The Model 107B is the original version of Tamron's SP 300 F/2.8 which was introduced in 1983. It was beautiful, expensive and is very rare since so very few were made during its one year production run. It does not feature the internal focus (IF) found in the later versions of this lens, but features very robust construction and is slightly heavier. This rare lens was finished in gloss white, is a very good lens for low light telephoto work, and is highly sought after as a collector's item. Two low dispersion (LD) elements are used in this lens, which I am pretty sure are the first (front) and the third element in the above optical layout. This lens also features a spherical aberration compensator group (the cemented doublet in the middle of the lens) which assures crisp images even at close focus distances." - adaptall-2.com

Focal Length (mm) 300
Aperture Maximum 2.8
Aperture Minimum 32
Field of View (in 24x36mm format) 8
Optical Construction (elements / groups) 7/6
Minimum Focus Distance (mm from film plane) 3000
Filter Diameter (mm) 43 (rear), 112 (front)
Length (mm at infinity) 199
Maximum Diameter (mm) 117.5
Weight (g) 2071

Accepts SP 2X tele-converter #01F and SP 1.4X tele-converter #140F. Note: TC's are reviewed in miscellaneous lenses - TC's.

There is a review of this lens on the "Taking Not Making" blog.
Mount Type: Non-Pentax Mount

Add Review of Tamron Tamron Adaptall-2 SP 300mm f/2.8 LD (107B)
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-2 of 2

Registered: May, 2016

Lens Review Date: December 21, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $777.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Nice bokeh, fast, tripod mount, tank
Cons: Heavy
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 7    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-50,K-1

First - forgive me if something is ununderstood. English is not my native language
This is my very first review. I hope it will not be my last
I saw the Tamron 107b sales advertisement on one Finnish site. It was on sale with Pentax 1,7x af adapter. It already has Pentax K-mount adapter attached to it. Price was 750 €.
It caught my eye from the first moment. I am not a proffessional photographer but I love to try and learn all the new (especially old new) things. So I decided to give it a try.
I asked about this lens from as many good photographers I knew and did a lot of research via Internet.
I could not resist the temptationd to try this big tank.
I did not see this lens myself before buying it. I sent my husband (or partner, weīre not married) who works in Finland to get it for me. He drew all day to the seller and back I only sent money to him.
When I got the first pictures from a carseat on a way back I was very happy to see it has also hard leather box. The guy was selling his Pentax gear because he went over to Canon-side. I instantly asked what else he got... I also bought 2xL teleconverter with 100 euros. I donīt have any lens to try with it but I just could not leave it alone behind. I might get some more lenses for this one or sell it to some Pentax-lover. So, thank you, Pertti! Maybe you are/were also a member. I really love it!

It is quite heavy, real tank. It has tripod mount. I havenīt used it much yet but first dates with it have been joyful.
It is possible to turn focus ring with my left hand. It might be a bit stiff on the edgesbut I donīt mind.
I wish I could get outside much more. Since it is December and quite dark and mostly cloudy outside, also my days go by at work in daylight, I wait for late winter and spring time.
I add some example photos I took on the first night to try (not very elaborated - sorry) and some of my first birdie-animal photos.
I am still learning and want to improve my skills. So I promise to show more soon
Now I am looking for nice gimbal head to use it with

Some very first examples used with 1,7xAF adapter:
https://flic.kr/p/P8bKDD - lights were moving a lot due to stormy weather.But I really wanted to try

Only Tamron 107b with K-1, all handheld:

Here is my Flickr album where are some more photos:

Registered: September, 2011
Location: Nelson B.C.
Lens Review Date: November 29, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $795.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Ease of focus, IQ
Cons: Heavy, awkward if handheld
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 6    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 6    Value: 9

The focus ring is right behind the tripod ring so to hold it in your hand to shoot and hold the end steady is a bit of a challenge. If you hold it out and use your thumb to turn the focus ring it is possible. I use it mostly on a monopod and with practice have been able to get good shots.

The paint finish seems to be easily damaged. My copy works very well but looks pretty beat up.

Focus is easy and fast. It does not have internal focus.

The images are good. On my copy CA is not a problem. One shot of branches against a cloudy sky showed some green fringes around the edges but not in the center. A shot of an off white wall on a house at a long distance shows some red fringing on the higher contrast lines.

Both photos are cropped. The bobcat was from 250 feet away. Default Bibble processing. F2.8

The later versions of this lens are said to have better optics, and that may well be. I have no way to compare. I'm quite happy with the results so far. The manual suggests using a filter, adaptall-2.org suggests that it softens the images. I have yet to experiment.

Update:

After using the lens for a while, I have more opinions

Wide open with high contrast there is some aberration and softness. They go away by f5.6. In low light this lens really shines. Quite sharp wide open, bright viewfinder for focus.

The position of the focus ring is difficult. The balance point of the lens and body is close to the middle of the focus ring. With an arca swiss plate and gimbal, all the hardware is centered at the bottom of the focus ring.

Paired with a 140f TC I get good results. Aberrations are a bit worse, but stopping down gets rid of them.

The focus throw is very tight. A minute change in turning the focus ring makes a large difference. On one hand it helps for getting close to focus quickly, but to get very clear focus is a challenge.

Wide open the bokeh is buttery and smooth. Very nice. But stopped down to f8 it gets choppy and unpleasant.

I'm changing some ratings down a bit. Aberrations and handling and bokeh. Still good value for a 300 f2.8. I'm still convinced that the results I get are more a reflection of my skills than the lens. Considering what I paid and what it does, good value.
Add Review of Tamron Tamron Adaptall-2 SP 300mm f/2.8 LD (107B)

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:39 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!