Third-Party Pentax Lenses - Reviews and Database » Tamron Adaptall Lenses » Zoom Lenses
Tamron Adaptall-2 SP 35-210mm f/3.5-4.2 (26A) Review RSS Feed

8 29,491 Sun April 24, 2016

Tamron Adaptall-2 SP 35-210mm f/3.5-4.2 (26A)

" This particular SP lens is a splendid all-in-one moderate wide angle to long telephoto zoom to keep on your camera for all purpose photography, especially while vacationing or when you don't want to carry around several other lenses. Its average in weight, fairly compact, yet offers better than average optical performance and even has macro at the 35mm position down to 1:3.8! Macro performance is somewhat better than average as well since Tamron chose to move both the zoom and master elements when entering macro mode, rather than merely allowing the front focus elements to extend forward. This lens features a superb optical design coupled with extremely tight machining tolerances within the zooming mechanism. This obviously added to the manufacturing costs. ...adaptall-2.com

Focal Length (mm) 35-210
Aperture Maximum 3.5-4.2
Aperture Minimum 22
Field of View (in 24x36mm format) 64-11
Optical Construction (elements / groups) 16/12
Minimum Focus Distance (mm from film plane) 1600 (300mm in macro mode)
Magnification Ratio 1:3.8
Filter Diameter (mm) 67
Length (mm at infinity) 121.2
Maximum Diameter (mm) 73
Weight (g) 875

Accepts teleconverter SP 2x (01F)
Mount Type: Third-party (adapter required)

Add Review of Tamron Adaptall-2 SP 35-210mm f/3.5-4.2 (26A)
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-8 of 8

Registered: May, 2015
Location: Hampshire
Lens Review Date: April 24, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Large range, can be found cheap and can use KA adapter
Cons: Some purple fringing
Sharpness: 8    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-5

I bought this lens in a box with a Pentax S1A with a Takumar lens, a Carenar 28mm that had been butchered and no longer worked or ever would! and a Chinon 200mm F3.5. All were looking rather worse for wear and for less than 10 US dollars with a 10 mile round trip to collect them. I got this gem.

I was surprised at a low score for this lens, presumably as the reviewer found it heavy.
I have this, a 19AH and a 23A (along with some non SP Tamrons) and wish I had more PK-A adapters. I like these lenses, perhaps the 23A most. They all exhibit purple fringing and this 26A also shows some Halo? (if that's the correct term) on the wider apertures in macro but they all seem to be sharp. I find the weight of the lens gets my mind appreciating that I should try harder to keep it steady. Not a bad thing. Wish I had that prompt when I was playing golf.
If you can buy this at a low price, get it. I doubt it would be a disappointment.
An image taken with the "macro" 35mm end, F16. Ignore the vignetting, I had a hood from my 300mm on it as it had no hood (or adapter) when I bought it.

Added another image, showing how purple fringing is a feature of this lens at wider apertures, e.g F5.6.

Lens Review Date: October 7, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $35.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Fast for the range and price. Solid, weighty, nice handling.
Cons: Doesn't 'snap' into focus. Best outdoors
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 8    Value: 8    Camera Used: Samsung GX20, Pentax K-x

On the one hand, this lens disappointed me. Having seen the 'Modern Photography' statistics on adaptall2.org, I expected something spectacular. Instead, in my experiments in my back garden, I found that my copy is outperformed by both the 40A, and the earlier 22A, the Adaptall-2 35-135mm zooms, over the range they have in common.

On the other hand, it is, in absolute rather than relative terms, pretty good. I have two bodies, a Samsung GX20 and a Pentax K-x. If I am travelling light, I put the Tamron 17-50mm on the Samsung, and may put this lens on the K-x. With the other body to handle wide, the 35-210mm is plenty long enough in a city. It doesn't snap into focus, but if I do get the focus right, and hold it steady, at f8 it is just as good as the stellar Tamron over the range they have in common, even without a hood, and the sharpness, depth of colour and contrast is maintained all the way from 35mm to 210mm.

I think the difficulty I have in judging precise manual focus without microprism or split screen accounts for my relatively high miss rate at the long end.

At 200mm, pixel peeping reveals a bit of purple fringing at out of focus high contrast boundaries, but I haven't otherwise seen chromatic aberrations.

The bokeh is inoffensive; out of focus areas just look out focus, nothing very arty.

The macro mode is sharp, but because it is at 35mm I don't find it useful as a macro. Whilst it enhances the usefulness of the lens indoors, since the minimum focus distance otherwise is about 2 metres, the dimness indoors makes it even harder to focus precisely, so I only use it outside.

With an APS-C sensor, it is by no means an all in one lens, but as the full frame equivalent of a 50-300mm telephoto zoom, it still covers a useful range. Recommended.

Location: Lost in translation ...
Lens Review Date: December 21, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $60.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Build, close focus, zero creep ...
Cons: Wide on APS-C, hefty
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 8    Value: 8

Bonjour,

Just acquired this 26A and like what I have seen thus far ... only indoor test shots, since the outside weather is wet and cold ... will post samples later.

Giving a straight across "8" rating until more test and use can be done ...

Allez et salut, Jean le Green Frog

Here's a p0rn shot to see what the 26A looks like on the K-5 with a PKA ...

Registered: August, 2009
Location: Michigan

Lens Review Date: June 6, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $75.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Build, handling, speed.
Cons: MFD, not wide enough.

I purchased this lens in early 2011 as a possible replacement for my Tamron 18-250mm F/3.5-6.3 because I prefer using MF lenses and have had great experiences with the Adaptall-2 SP series. Well, I ended up keeping and using both. My thoughts:

Pros

- Exceptional build quality and very good handling for a large, heavy lens.
- Very fast for a 6X zoom.
- Decently sharp throughout the zoom range, with modest purple fringing for a lens of this age and class.
- Fixed 1:3.8 macro mode for added versatility.

Cons

- Minimum focus distance (not including macro mode) of nearly two meters.
- 35mm not wide enough (for me) for an all-purpose lens on APS-C.
- Somewhat prone to flare and reduced contrast when used without a hood.

Bottom Line:

I originally thought its speed would make this lens useful indoors, but it's minumum focus distance and focal length really restrict things in tight quarters. If these two drawbacks aren't significant to you, and if you really like old-school, manual focus lenses with great build quality, this is a good and very inexpensive option. Otherwise, you might be better off with a modern (and more expensive) 18-2XX zoom.

- Mike

Registered: May, 2008
Location: Den Haag, Netherlands
Lens Review Date: September 16, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $60.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Versatile, sharp
Cons: Locking mechanism

Bought a first copy of this lens on Ebay but when it arrived I found out the locking mechanism was faulty. It could mount on the PK(A)-adapter but focussing would unlock the lens because the lens was not locked properly.

My second copy also has a small locking problem, maybe a recurring problem for the 26A lens.

Otherwise the lens is great for use on holidays or when you need the range. There is not much distortion at the wide end and at the long end the lens is still quite sharp. The colors and contrast are very good for a lens with a range like this.

Weightwise the 26A is not much lighter than the 19AH (70-210 f3.5) but the handling of the 26A is better. Although the 19AH has much smoother focussing and no lenscreep. The 26A has some lenscreep.

One the images I shot while on holiday, shot at the long end of the lens. A high iso picture, the colors at lower iso values are even better.

Registered: October, 2009
Lens Review Date: October 4, 2009 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Heavy, Sharp Big Lens
Cons: The adaper not strong enough to support the weight

loves the lens, i got it for free from recycle group here in Adelaide.
loves the weight, making the camera more stable
very sharp image
pretty much what you need for your daily snapping (35mm wide enough for group pictures, 210mm gives a good zoom)

Registered: July, 2009
Location: Charlotte, NC United States
Lens Review Date: September 20, 2009 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $34.55 | Rating: 7

Pros: Great Glass, sharp
Cons: Heavy

Useful lens if you need the exercise. Sharp images, particularly when stopped down. Works well with the PK/A adaptall-2 mount. Fun to play with at not a large cost. Came with an Olympus OM camera and adaptall mount which I will probably re-sell which will make the lens more of a bargain.

Registered: December, 2008
Location: Vancouver
Lens Review Date: January 27, 2009 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: Nice large glass
Cons: HEAVY

Add Review of Tamron Adaptall-2 SP 35-210mm f/3.5-4.2 (26A)

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:35 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!