Third-Party Pentax Lenses - Reviews and Database » Tamron Adaptall Lenses » Prime Lenses
Tamron Adaptall-2 SP 90mm f/2.5 (52B/52BB) Review RSS Feed

29 133,597 Wed June 20, 2018

Tamron Adaptall-2 SP 90mm f/2.5 (52B/52BB)

"A very good 1:2 macro lens with above average resolution and contrast. Performance is fairly similar to Kiron's 105mm F/2.8 macro lens. Contrast is noticeably improved by using the accessory lens hood to control stray light since the front elements are barely recessed in the front of the lens. The model 52BB is merely a cosmetically redesigned version of the original 52B. Tamron made an optional accessory 1:1 extension tube (018F) for this lens. - adaptall-2.com

"Cult classic" macro lens with a great reputation. The first all metal version was replaced by the 52BB, with a redesigned barrel, in 1988 (pics 2,3).
Full 1:1 magnification can be achieved with the 018F extension tube or with the 01F 2x teleconverter. An alternative to the 018F is a deglassed 01F TC. Mount specific extension tubes and tc's can of course also be used, with a matching adaptall mount.
The 52B/52BB was replaced by the similar but 1:1 macro 90mm f2.8 72B in 1996 (separate review here). This was produced into the 2000's but faded in competition with optically identical (72E) AF versions.

Specifications: 52B (pic 1); 52BB (pics 2, 3)
Focal Length (mm) 90
Aperture: f2.5 - f22
Field of view: 23deg horizontal full frame; 14.9deg APSC sensor.
Optical construction (elements / groups): 8/6
Coatings BBAR Multi layer
Minimum focus distance (from film/sensor plane) 39cm
Focus throw: ~360deg; ~330deg
magnification ratio 1:2
filter diameter: 52B = 49mm (screw in hood 23FH); 52BB = 55mm (bayonet hood 98FH)
"length ( at infinity): 66mm; 74mm
maximum diameter: 64.5mm
"weight" 440g; 410g

"kido" on mflenses has done a nice comparison of IQ with both the 01F 2x teleconverter and/or the 018F dedicated 1:1 extension tube here (update no pics any more but comments are still useful).

Accepts both 01F 2x TC and 014F 1.4x TC's. Note: TC's are reviewed in miscellaneous lenses - TC's.

Review by Prarie Rim of 52B.
Mount Type: Third-party (adapter required)

Add Review of Tamron Adaptall-2 SP 90mm f/2.5 (52B/52BB)
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 29

Registered: September, 2012
Location: Belo Horizonte
Lens Review Date: March 17, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 10

Pros:
Cons:
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: 125

superb lens even at 2.5 , much used for portraits.
The macro is incredibly detailed

Registered: July, 2008
Location: Budapest

Lens Review Date: July 4, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp at almost all apertures, Lovely bokeh, Built to last.
Cons: Only 2:1 macro, Back element can cause reflections (purple "hotspot")
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: Sony A7ii

I had a chance to grab a 52BB with the 1:1 tube for only 72 and since this lens was longtime on my wanted list I finally got this lens. First expressions were really good, handling is easy, the focus ring is very smooth. It's a bit strange first that from infinity to about 1 meter you only need to turn a little and then from 1 meter to macro range there is a lot more turning required. I suppose it's due to being a macro lens
As a macro lens it really excels I'd say f8-f11 being the sweet spot. At 1:2 macro (without the tube) you have a lot of room, the distance from the subject is like 40 centimeters, which drops down to 20 centimeters at 1:1, which is still a plenty of room to be able to apply ring lights for example.
What I rarely see in Macro lens reviews is the mention of the Raynox DCR-250, which makes almost any lens into a macro lens and achieves even higher magnification with macro lenses. With the Raynox (without the tube) you can get about 1.5:1 magnification and 2.5:1 with the tube. So if you have this lens the Raynox DCR-250 is a very good addition.
But this lens is not only about macro. It is really good for portraits, the bokeh it gives is creamy and dreamy, even at f2.5 it's sharp already to bring out fine details, but from f4 to f11 it's a monster I really love this lens and what it brings to the table... and for the price I got it... it's a steal.
But let this little test show you what the lens is capable of. Shot with Sony A7ii and zero post process were done. You can see the "scene" as it was and where the 100% crops are taken from. As you can see at f16 diffraction kicks in but it's still acceptable quality. Tamron SP 90 f2.5 (52BB) test

Registered: October, 2011
Lens Review Date: April 18, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $25.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great For Macro, Amazing For Portraits
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: K5-IIs

52B version as pictured, easily my favorite and most versatile lens. The close-focusing ability creates more opportunities for macro and portrait work.

The focus throw is perfect, neither fast nor slow. Very easy to nail focus on the subject's eyes despite MF only. The ease of focus is a boon for handheld macro shots.

This one more than lives up to its name (SP-Super Performance), absolutely love it and highly recommend.

Registered: August, 2009
Lens Review Date: October 29, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: bokeh, resolution
Cons: long focus throw
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10

I realise this is probably my "best" lens, as I run through the rating toggles, on a ratings basis. Its bokeh is very pleasing, and sharpness is excellent. An additional advantage is the Adaptall mount, which means that this can be used on other camera mounts other than PK...I use this lens as a benchmark across camera systems. It even gets a special mention in Barry Thornton's book called Elements in the 35mm section at the back. Interestingly, he also used Pentax in 35mm. Some of the photographs I have produced of my toddler pick up very fine detail in his skin, when we were mucking about in the garden this summer. Looking forward to printing them soon. Whether or not this is sharper than the Pentax M 50mm f4 is open to debate, on test targets I don't think you would see a difference, and the Pentax M also has a nice bokeh.

I note someone with shots of a church in their review reports their lens is soft wide open...there must be something wrong...mine is literally at peak sharpness from wide open. Note I am using this on film, capable of 150lp/mm.

When you consider this is a 85mm portrait lens with macro capabilities, it makes the Pentax M 85mm f2 look like a waste of money.

I have owned a Kiron 105/2.8, ironically never shot with it, as I accidentally bought an OM mount version. The Kiron is substantially larger and heavier, as it can go to 1:1. I sold the Kiron for USD 300. Its basically the same as the Lester Dine and Viv S1 105mm. Its not fair to compare the Tamron with such a lens, as they are in a completely different price bracket, the Tamron changing hands for an average of GBP 80 with postage nowadays.

Registered: September, 2009
Location: Langley, BC
Lens Review Date: May 20, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $120.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp!

I have the early version, and I've used it on various film bodies and the K10D. It's a fantastic lens, with or without the matched 2x doubler. Sharp, excellent build quality, and not too expensive. Who needs AF for macro anyway?

Registered: July, 2009
Location: Saffron Walden, Essex
Lens Review Date: August 30, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $130.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp, low CA, great bokeh

I've had the 55BB version for about 18 months. The lens is brilliant. Razor sharp, beautiful bokeh, low CA, great focus action. I use mine with a PK/A adapter. Out of all my manual focus lenses, this is - by a long way - the one I use most. I don't have a hood but have yet to notice any flare problems, although I suppose the lens is usually pointing downwards so that could explain it.

Registered: July, 2009
Location: Charlotte, NC United States
Lens Review Date: September 24, 2009 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $179.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Solid, great feel, beautiful results
Cons: haven't found one yet

I had read many positive reviews about this lens and had tried to buy one on ebay but it always went out of my price range. When I found the 52BB version @ Adorama, I decided to go for it. Am I glad. Solid, quality feel to the lens. went right on my K20D using the PK/A adaptor and I really like the first results. I expect the results to get better and better as I learn to use it.

Just feels like a keeper.

Registered: February, 2008
Location: Lachine, Quebec, Canada
Lens Review Date: May 15, 2009 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $80.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharpness, contrast, color rendition, build quality
Cons: lens flare, low contrast under backlit conditions

Even though I do give a few caveats in terms of this "old school" lens, I have to say that given it's quality and what it can produce, these are negligible issues.

I picked this lens up with the P/KA adapter (with contacts) and lens hood for 80.00 used. In excellent condition. The version I purchased was the 52BB version, with the focus scale window.

What a surprise this lens is for me! I was looking for that medium telephoto focal length but found that the fast 85mm options were either too risky (build quality and versions of the Jupiter) or way too expensive (Takumar/K series 85mm). So when this opportunity came up, I couldn't resist giving it a try.

This lens feels fantastic. Manual focusing is smooth and well controlled, and as others have stated the focus "pop" is fantastic. Coupled with the P/KA adapter, a true treat to use with my K100D super. Continuous focusing is such a pleasure to use, allowing the creative process to take hold instead of manipulating a macro switch.

f/2.5 also gives an amazingly bright and contrasty viewfinder image- a real godsend with the tiny viewfinders on crop sensor cameras.

Image quality in the right light is outstanding. Sharpness that is breathtaking when stopped down even a bit, and that wonderful color reproduction and contrast of Tamron lenses. I don't have either the tubes or teleconverter (as of yet), but I'm not a bug shooter, so not sure if that will be necessary.

Bokeh is beyond the pale in quality- even at f/4-f/5.6 it's smooth, buttery and just dreamy. Near-distant bokeh is awesome, also.

Great lens for candid indoor portraiture wide open. I find at f/2.5 it meters almost identically as my SMC M 50mm f/1.7.

CA/Purple fringing seem to be non-existent, even at f/2.5.

Caveats- well, as stated here (and on the adaptall-2 site) the lens hood is so important for this lens, since the front element is not recessed anywhere near enough in the lens design. Wish there were other lens hood options- I even felt-lined the lens hood. This all tends to give a bit of a "hit" on lens performance in lighting conditions that are difficult, since so much stray light hits the front of the element that contrast greatly suffers in back lit or intense direct sunlight situations. Just think about the light when shooting and move your butt to a better angle and things become magic with this lens!

As well, I find focusing subjects in the near distance a bit tricky with this lens- although that's not the lenses fault, since that isn't what it was primarily designed to do. I feel this is due to the fact that the focus isn't "geared" toward this type of shooting, so the focus rotation is ultra-sensitive with minimal rotation greatly affecting focus quality in the near-distant to distant range. Focus screen helps a ton in this case.

However, that all being said, I can hardly take this lens off my camera. I'm finding it's a great window into how I like to shoot. I adore it to bits, and given the price vs. image quality of this 1980's wonder of engineering, I heartily give it a 10 on 10!

See my gallery at http://gallery.inkandescence.com, where I have posted many shots taken with this lens. Lens information is in each image description.

Registered: July, 2007
Location: North West UK
Lens Review Date: March 27, 2008 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, Fast lens (even with 2x) IQ
Cons: 1:2 without converter

If you want a quality macro at a reasonable price, in fact, any price, then go for one of these. I have got some stunning images from this lens mainly with the 2x converter.

There is a total lack of CA with this lens, not bad for a pre Digital lens.

IQ is excellent, as is the Bokeh at wide.

Can't fault it. Just get hold of one.

An example is here:-

Registered: June, 2018
Lens Review Date: June 20, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Very sharp, good bokeh, can fit very camera
Cons: 1:2, bulky and heavy, adaptall adapters are expensive
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 7    Value: 9    Camera Used: A7, Nex 6

Had two samples of this lens. The first one had been used and probably abused, it was good but with a noticeable lack of contrast. The new one is almost mint and performs much better.

Love the fact that an adaptall lens can fit every camera mount, even if the adapters are usually expensive and sometimes really difficult to find.

Sharpness is excellent even at f/2,5. It has minor chromatic aberration at full aperture but nothing to worry about. It can flare a little bit and it's better to use a lens hood. Tried the much more regarded Vivitar series 1 90mm f/2,5 "Bokina" and I sharpness seems to be on par with the Tamron, the only differences beeing weight and slightly smoother bokeh for the Viv.

Tamron's bokeh is good, I like my portrait lens 85mm f/1,8 better in this regard but it's nice. It has more aperture blades than most vintage lenses, this helps when stopped down.
The lens is only 1:2 but I'm not annoyed with that.

Handling is good, the lens is really build like a tank. I own several old lenses and most of them are all metal and durable, but the Tamron is especially heavy and feels almost indestructible.

Value is good as this Tamron 90mm f/2.5 adaptall is excellent and can be found for about 100 in good conditions. It rises a bit but still cheaper than the later plastic version.

Registered: December, 2016
Location: Silverstone
Lens Review Date: January 15, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $75.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharpness, construction
Cons: Sensor reflection on APS-C
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 9    Camera Used: K-S2

I have had the 52B version of this lens from new.

I settled on the Tamron after an extended shoot-off with a Vivitar Series 1 90mm macro, which was a serious competitor back in the day. The Tamron handled better, had less diffraction after f/16, better colour rendition and contrast.

It still holds its own against more modern designs, and APS-C can offer a new lease of life as a fast telephoto .

Registered: October, 2012
Lens Review Date: February 14, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $118.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Very sharp, solidly built, quality, fairly fast
Cons: none of consequence
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10

I have, because of a curious mind, in my collection the 52B, 72B. 272E, the Samsung D-Xenon f2.8 100mm, Pentax 50mm f4 and f2.8 and all get used frequently. The 52B stands up well against the others and I do love using it with my K5. I find that having a solid, reasonably heavy lens with a good sharp glass in my hands when taking a shot steadies my hand and eye and lends a sense of confidence while doing so.. Although I have had no problems previously with lens flare I do use a lens hood as it has a secondary use of protecting the lens when I'm poking it into undergrowth to take a shot of an insect etc. I also have got into the habit of using the front and back mounts of a tube on the 52B to extend the ratio approximately from 1.2 to 1.1. which works for me. It was one of the first Tamron macro's in my collection and using it was a good learning base giving me the experience when using the other macros. It has a good bokeh, is easy to handle, and has given me some great images. I would definitely recommend it for those wanting to take macro shots with a seriously good lens. I've used it quite often at full aperture when taking shots in shadow and I find it forgiving and sharp, it's obviously sharper a couple of stops up but it delivers good sharp images at full aperture. I'm not a pixel peeper so rather than getting technical with the comparisons, vices and virtues of the different macro lens let me say that when picking up the 52B I get that sense of enjoyment and confidence knowing it's an excellently sharp, dependable lens and it's not outclassed greatly by the others. Having said that I do think the Pentax 50mm f2.8 and f4 have the edge in IQ. If you can get one for a reasonable price then get it......and you won't regret it.

Location: Lost in translation ...
Lens Review Date: April 20, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, f 2.5, build, bokeh ...
Cons: Only 1:2 ...
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10

Bonjour,

My copy of this lens is the later "52BB" version, pics above, which according to the Adaptall site is optically identical to the previous version, the 52B.

All of the previous reviews have said enough about the good quality of this lens.

Registered: August, 2009
Location: Lexington, KY

Lens Review Date: August 18, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $97.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Bokeh, sharpness, color, build, f/2.5
Cons: Sensor reflection and flare, only 1:2
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 9

This review is based on use with an APS-C sensor.

This lens is a cult classic. The design is very clever: rather than a typical telephoto design, this is essentially a double Gauss normal that floats relative to a correcting rear group. This gives it the speed and nice bokeh of a fast normal combined with excellent correction at any focus distance. It was marketed as both a portrait and a macro lens, and it earns both titles. Here's a simple example:

Notice that the focus point is perfectly sharp, but before and after the focus point are both very smooth. Sharpness is very good wide open, but becomes outstanding (even for a macro) by f/8-f/11. What's more, unlike most macros, it's that good at any focus distance.

Color is quite good, but this is a lens that can show veiling flare. The front element is nearly flush with the front, so a 49mm threaded hood would be a good idea. There is also an infamous problem involving sensor reflections; the rear element is nearly flat, easily causing a purple spot in the center of the frame from bright reflection off the sensor. This sensor reflection happens very frequently -- maybe even all the time -- but usually isn't particularly visible. One needs to watch for it, but even when it is bad, it usually looks a lot like a regular flare spot... that always happens to be in the middle of the frame.

An addition: I now have the matching Adaptall 2X teleconverter. It is widely held that this 2X works exceptionally well with this lens, producing very good IQ one stop down and avoiding the flare spot. Well, the flare spot is gone and bokeh are perhaps even prettier. However, sharpness is really sacrificed unless the lens is stopped down a bit more, which makes hand-holding the lens with 2X difficult. I also tried this 90mm with a generic FD-mount 2X... and IQ was at least as good as with the matching converter. Ok. I didn't really expect a miracle....

Registered: February, 2011
Location: San Francisco
Lens Review Date: July 21, 2012 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $60.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: cost, sharpness, build quality
Cons: weight
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 8    Value: 10

So this lens is incredibly sharp. I've only recently acquired it but I've used it alone (mostly), with tubes, and with the 01F 2x teleconverter (which cost another $30). I agree that it achieves optimal sharpness between f4 and f11. The build is great, but the PK/A adapter does have a bit of funk associated with it such that you have to wiggle it at times to get the aperture reading in Av mode (it's the adapter's problem; not the lens - keeping the adapter contacts clean is a big help here).

Color rendition is incredible.

The sensor reflection problem is real and is exacerbated when you point the lens into a backlit scene. This is why I give it low marks for aberrations (but it wasn't designed for use with DSLRs, so you can't fault Tamron). See below for a typical problem, as well as a serious problem caused by long exposure time. If you work around this, i.e. don't use the lens with a digital SLR for this type of photography, it's an awesome lens for the money. It's primary purpose is for macros so just use it for that!

The lens, particularly with the 01F teleconverter, is extremely heavy. Here are some shots:

1. With extension tubes (dandelion):

Model for Death Star by zot0 (too busy), on Flickr

2. By itself:

Bugs and Buds by zot0 (too busy), on Flickr

3. With 01F Teleconverter (and flash):

Che-er-ry, Cherry Macro by zot0 (too busy), on Flickr

4. Subtle sensor reflection - note the purple in the middle of the rose (but otherwise note the beautiful color rendition):

Ramble On Rose by zot0 (too busy), on Flickr

5. Extreme sensor reflection, long exposure:

Extreme example of Tamron SP 90mm (52B) Sensor Reflection problem by zot0 (too busy), on Flickr
Add Review of Tamron Adaptall-2 SP 90mm f/2.5 (52B/52BB)

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:07 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!