Third-Party Pentax Lenses - Reviews and Database » Tamron Lenses » Current Zoom Lenses
Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 SP AF XR LD Aspherical IF Di II Review RSS Feed

8.1
 7.8
78 230,842 Tue November 28, 2017

Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 SP AF XR LD Aspherical IF Di II

The Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD Aspherical [IF] is a lightweight, compact, and fast standard zoom lens designed exclusively for APS-C digital SLR cameras.

Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF]

$434 USD at launch
Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF]
A16

Buy Lens: Buy the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 SP AF XR LD Aspherical IF Di II
In-Depth Review: Read our Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 SP AF XR LD Aspherical IF Di II in-depth review!
Price: US $299
Mount Type: Pentax KAF2/KAF (screwdrive AF)

Add Review of Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 SP AF XR LD Aspherical IF Di II Buy the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 SP AF XR LD Aspherical IF Di II
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 78

Location: Texas
Lens Review Date: November 28, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Light weight, Price, Sharpness
Cons: Manual focusing, no aperture ring
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 8    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: Pentax K30, K70, KP

Good built quality for the price. At 17mm, very sharp, but a little bit too much distortion and vignetting. At 50mm, less sharp.
Very light lens for a 17-50/2.8.
Excellent value. In terms of image quality, very close to Pentax DA Limited 20-40/2.8-4.0, and slightly better than Sigma 17-70/2.8-4.0 C,
The focusing ring is not very good (too light, short course), as most autofocus lenses.

Location: Queensland, Australia
Lens Review Date: June 19, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $200.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Image quality, Contrast,
Cons: Low light AF,
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 7    Autofocus: 7    Handling: 8    Value: 9    New or Used: New    Camera Used: KS1 K200D

I've had this lens for about three years now, and was my first upgrade from the kit lens. Comments have been made regarding the build quality but I've felt it has been robust enough for my needs over those years.
The image quality, contrast and AF are fantastic in good light. Thankfully in Australia we have that in plentiful supply.

Low light will let you down at times, and the overall results can be a bit patchy. When it's good it's good... etc. I've just purchased the DA 15mm HD limited, so it will be interesting to see if the results from that lens exceed the Tamron.

It is fantastic value for money, especially when compared to the Pentax/Sigma comparable zoom lenses.

Registered: February, 2010
Location: California
Lens Review Date: March 20, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $299.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Cost/value, color rendition, low aberrations
Cons: AF which I thought was very poor
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 3    Handling: 8    Value: 8    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K5ii

I may have received a abnormal copy but the AF was very poor. I initially thought it was front focusing so I did a FF test and the results were all over the place. I did the battery test and used a tripod and could not get consistent results even in a very well lit situation. Using the lens in real world situations also produced inconsistent photos. When the focus did lock in and was not front focusing the photos were very nice and sharp. The color was always very good and the aberrations were very low even when shooting against a clouded sky. I noticed the AF issues would occur mostly in low-light situations and would occur much less in well lit environments. I know many other owners have had a better experience with the lens and I consider my copy an abnormality so I still recommend this lens to others who want an upgrade from their kit lens, especially at the price point. I am however, exchanging the lens for the Sigma 17-50.

Registered: March, 2014

Lens Review Date: November 8, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $300.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Very Sharp at all Focal Lengths, Best IQ for Standard Zoom Lens
Cons: Dust Magnet, Build Quality could be much better
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 7    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: Pentax K-5

It's about time to do a review about this lens. It was the first lens I owned after the kit lens and it has been my all around lens since 2012.

Let's begin with the best part, Sharpness. This lens is a absolute beast at sharpness when mounted on my K-5. Very consistent across all the frame and all the focal lengths with a bit loss in 50mm. Even wide open (F/2.8) it produces very crisp looking photos becoming better and better from F/4 to F/8.

Versatility
As I said, this is been my all around lens from 2012. Most of my shooting consist in family/friends portraits and lots of landscape and nature photography. I found my self using it all the time because of it's useful focal length and fast aperture.

Auto-focus
The auto-focus is great in good light, very fast and reliable. Just don't depend on it to focus in low light or Sports, I've tried to photograph Handebol Indoors and it struggles to nail focus even with slow movement. It will do the job in birthday parties or holiday celebrations indoors but be aware of its slower AF speed in this conditions. It will nail focus but with hunting.

Chromatic Aberrations
Well when I begin shooting with this lens I tend to use it wide open all the time even in bright sunlight doing street photography. You can see some CA at F/2.8 especially at 17mm but nothing compared with the Pentax DA* 16-50. Very easily corrected in LR with default correcting settings. Mostly purple and green in very contrasty areas.

Build quality and handling
Well this is the worst part, without being bad it's not great either. The focus ring have this strange feeling when we manual focus and the zoom ring is stiff especially when we point to upper subjects. The body is build mainly from plastic with the exception of the metal body mount ring.
The absolute worst part it's is the protection against dust. I'm a very zealous person and I clean my lens after every photo-shoot with the air blower or a piece of cloth. I find my self with lots and lots of dust inside my lens even cleaning it frequently. This happens more when I use the zoom ring too much outside. I also use a UV filter with this lens all the time.
My brother also has a Tamron 17-50 and I feel noticeable diferences in terms of sharpness (relatively better) and less zoom ring stiffness. Maybe I got a inferior copy.

Compared with similar lens
I've owned the Pentax 18-55 D AL WR, Sigma 17-70 Contemporary and currently own a Pentax DA* 16-50.
Compared to this lenses I always turn to the Tamron when I going to a photograph landscapes. The overall performance of this lens is the better of the four and it beats every one of them in terms of sharpness. The only thing that keeps me from selling the DA* 16-50 it's the useful WR.

Conclusions

This lens is just the best IQ standard zoom lens that Pentaxians can buy with their money.
Consistent image quality in all focal lengths, Sharp as knife, very good contrast and color reproduction and with Fast aperture F/2.8 this lens is a gem.
I recommend this lens over any other in his class (with the exception of Sigma's 17-50 F/2.8 I haven't test one yet).
If you are looking to upgrade your Pentax 18-55 WR from Kit lens don't think twice you will definitely not going to regret the upgrade!

And don't forget to register your lens with Tamron to obtain your 5 year warranty!

Sample photos:

Location: Madrid, Spain

Lens Review Date: May 18, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $300.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Small, light, sharp with great contrast even wide open
Cons: Not the best build quality
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 8    Value: 9    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K200D, K3

This was the first good autofocus lens I bought for my DSLR and it has impressed me since the first day. Even now, owning all the DA limited lenses, this one gets plenty of use and is especially useful on holidays or at events when I need to travel light and don't want to swap lenses all the time or use just one prime.

The lens is fairly well built but does have a bit of a plasticky feel. After around three years of use the rubber on the zoom ring seems to have expanded slightly and is now a bit slack, but still firmly stuck to the barrel and working perfectly. Manual focus, although I don't use that much, feels a little gritty but is useable.

Update 02/02/2018 - After owning this lens for over five years, the front end (where the hood attaches) has partially broken and had to be super-glued back on. It's not a major problem and given how much I've used it, it's hardly surprising that it starts to show it's mileage. Still, the break show that the quality of the plastic used in it's construction is not the highest.

The image quality from this lens is incredible, especially given the price when compared to other similar models from other manufacturers. Wide open it's very sharp and only gets better stopping down. The colours and contrast are great and there's very little flare.

The only qualm I have about the IQ is at 17mm the extreme edges of the frame are distorted. This won't be noticeable for a landscape shot or if the edges are out of focus, but for wide group shots of people it's advisable to avoid having anyone at the very edge because faces can become distorted.

Overall this lens has fantastic image quality, a decent zoom range and all at a very good price. It's the lens I recommend to people who are getting into DSLRs and I always tell them to spend less on the camera and buy this lens as it'll make a world of difference to their images.

Sample shots below.

Stopped down for landscapes:

IMGP4682
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr

Sunset on the beach, Washington state

IMGP5265
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr

Wide open for shallow depth of field or low-light use:

Córdoba fountains
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr

1189 Vietnam - Hue - Restaurante Ancient Hue (IMGP0868a)

IMGP6833
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr

Off the grid in black and white

Some newer images:

Oslo

Gamla Stan, Stockholm

IMGP7732a

Registered: October, 2011

Lens Review Date: May 17, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $175.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Centre sharpness
Cons: Edge sharpness
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 9    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-3

I have had this lens for about a year and have read lots of stuff online since about the various samples you can get of this lens, I thought for a long time that I owned a bad copy (sample). The first time I used it was for a wide group shot of about 35 people indoors using flash and an aperture of approx. f6.3. When I uploaded the images later I saw that the people standing on the edges of the group were very soft and distorted indeed. Not impressive really. So it then became my product photography lens, normally used at f5.6-6.3, and it did very well with that work despite the necessity for me to dial in a fairly substantial focusing adjustment for it in my K-3 due to back focusing issues (but that is not really a problem as it was easy to fix). Just recently though I used it instead of my fast 50mm or 77mm to take website portraits for a marketing company. This is where it started to shine for me. At wide apertures of f2.8-f4 it produced beautiful results where it didn't matter about the edges. The OOF areas were lovely and soft and the sharpness where I needed it in the centre was perfect. It will now be used for portraits from here on in, indoors and outdoors, wide open or close to it (until I upgrade to the K-1). So if you are thinking about buying this lens go ahead but 1) test the focusing and correct it in camera if required and 2) shoot subjects where the centre needs to be sharp but the edges are not important. It is a great value lens!

Location: Como
Lens Review Date: October 23, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $320.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Handling,fast, sharp
Cons: no WR
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 9    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K3 and Kx

I bought this lens in June 2014 replacing a Sigma 17-70. Comparing the two it's a complete different world. Fix F makes a big difference.
It is my most used zoom lens use ing it for portraits and studio, but also outside . Very good on aberration and also like colors . I definetly reccomend this lens.

Registered: August, 2015

Lens Review Date: September 13, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Shar, constant aperture f/2.8, AF, ZOOM, low aberrations, price!
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-5, K-3

I use this lens for a period of 4 to 5 years. During this time I used it more than any of my other lenses. This lens has the convenient zoom range, and it is also fast enough almost always. For this reason, the hand itself is attracted to him. Another reason for the frequent use of this lens is the high image quality that is most fully revealed, when combined with the camera K-3. The reason - the absence of anti-aliasing filter in the camera. Even wide open, he gives you razor sharp images! Per-pixel sharpness wide open! Bokeh good enough wide open. And all this is given for a very reasonable cost for the lens of this level! For that amount of money you can buy just the entry-level AF Pentax lens or may be old prime. I could only wish for improvement of USM and full metal body. It's really all that can be added.

Registered: February, 2015

Lens Review Date: April 6, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $280.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Premium image quality for cheap
Cons: Not Pentax, plastic build
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 9    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-3

Best standard zoom, sharp contrasty, fast, reliable and cheap. In terms of use, this zoom compete with the DA limited primes , so that I now have less use of the primes. So, the glass is really good, it is now one of the best lens I use (sorry Pentax). However, the build quality is on the cheap side (but what can you expect at this $280 price?) and since it is not a Pentax lens, in-camera lens corrections are not available.

Pros:
- most used focal length (17mm better than 18mm...)
- Image quality, sharp at f4, tack sharp at f5.6 until f16
- fast f2.8
- cheap
- very reliable
- Tamron 5 years warranty

Cons:
- Not Pentax
- AF a bit noisy

Registered: July, 2007
Location: North West UK

Lens Review Date: December 20, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $300.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp when it wants, Good build for a plastic lens, nice bokeh
Cons: Not sharp when it is not in the mood, occasional colour cast that is not like Pentax lenses, images can look flat
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 9    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-5 K-01 K20D K10D

This for me is an odd lens. I bought it new back in 2012 at Focus, so a good price. It was in effect a replacement for my 16-45mm F4 which has been damaged. For half the price of the DA*16-50 it was a no brainer really, or so I thought.

Lets start with the positives.
In good natural light, this lens is excellent. Good detail - not in Limited leagues - but good nevertheless.
AF speed is good as well, faster than the SDM lenses, and on par with the fastest screw drive AF lenses that Pentax make.
The F2.8 makes it good for separating the subject from the background, with nice bokeh, but strangely it does not feel that the background is quite as separated as my FA50mm at F2.8 when the tamron is the same focal length.

Now the bad
It hates low light. You think it is in focus, but it is not, two or three attempts at the shot, or refocusing is needed.
Even then the shot is not as sharp as you would expect.
Colour rendition. I shoot raw most of the time, and even then it produces a colour cast that I personally am not keen on, even working on the image. Having said that, in good light it is producing images you would expect.
Distortion is okay but not outstanding, having said that, it is about the same as any other APS-C zoom out there.
Image - They can look flat, they just don't have that wow factor that a prime, or indeed the 16-45 had.
It works better on the K-01. This is odd, as you would expect the CDAF of the K-01 would be a worse combination, but actually in anything but good light, it is a better combination.

At the end of the day, it is difficult not to like this lens, for its speed and overall ability at a good price. The alternatives make it more so.
IF Sigma, for me, did not have a reliability issue overall with their lenses not talking to the body after a couple of years, or Pentax's own DA* had that still in the back of the mind SDM issue or too many general QC problem of earlier versions, then for the time being, this is the best of the three, albeit with issues of its own.

Until Sigma bring out the 17-50mm F2.8 ART lens and Pentax Bring out the HD-DA*16-50mm, this is my primary standard zoom lens.

To sum up, it is good, but it could be better. Hence a 7.

Edit (June 2015)
I thought I would never type this, but due to a recent burglary at home, this lens and my beloved K-5IIs went.
So here goes. Replacement 17-50 with the K-3:-

A big improvement. Colours are far better as is sharpness. AF speed with the K-3 is superior as well. IQ, I cannot fault it now. Maybe the original was not as good as this copy.

so now, I have amended the scoring and proud to say it is a 9.

Location: Wild-Nord-East Hungary
Lens Review Date: November 19, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $370.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast, sharp wide open, price
Cons: Not Quickshift, feeling slightly Plastic.
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-30 K-x

I bought the kit lens instead. This lens is also great value for money.
Near the middle image is very sharp. blur and distortion at the edges of my themes not bother.
17-45 mm. between very nice; 50mm also good.
(but 50 mm. the A 50/1,7 I prefer

Registered: July, 2014
Location: Paris
Lens Review Date: October 12, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharpness, color
Cons: FRONT/BACK FOCUS
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 9    New or Used: New

It's a sharp lens if you get a good copy, I'm not that fortunate, my copy is front/back focus randomly at different f & aperture !
I have to say when it focus correctly, the IQ is very good so try the lens inside out and make sure to get the right sample before you waranty expire !

Registered: February, 2014
Location: Banja Luka

Lens Review Date: October 4, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $230.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Cheap, F 2.8, 1 mm wider than kit lens
Cons: Field curvature problem at F/2.8, unpredictable
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 7    Autofocus: 7    Handling: 8    Value: 9    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-x, K-5 IIs

I got this lens recently from e-bay, and it is really in near-mint condition. Looks like brand new.

The lens is not as sharp as people are describing here. My kit lens is the same, related to sharpness. Tamron has a bit more contrast.

Noticed some problems with focus, it's erratic. Sometime it's backfocusing, sometimes it's front focusing. I tried all sorts of adjustments in the K-x debug menu, positive, negative focus adjustment, trying different F number, turning SR on and off... didn't help.

As far as I can see, only advantages over the kit lens are 1mm wider ( 17mm ) and the fact it's F 2.8. Image quality is the same, especially if you are shooting RAW and doing PP.

Maybe I was expecting too much from this lens, not sure. The price was too good, perhaps I just got a bad one. It would be nice to try it on a newer body, but where I live, Pentax DSLRs are rare as frogs with horns.
----
Addition:

After using this lens with K-5 IIs, it's a different story. Auto-focus is better and more accurate than on K-x. Still hunts but when it locks, it's in focus.
Much better now. For the money I paid, excellent. Changed grade to 8
-----

Addition after some more time on using it with K-5 Iis:

This lens is capable of stunning results, but very unpredictable, especially with front/back focusing problems. One day you think you had it dialed in spot on, only to learn next day that it's completely off. For best results, try to take multiple shots with defocus/focus action (if possible), but I understand that professional photographers do not have the luxury and time to do this on every occasion.

I came to conclusion that the lens has serious issues with field curvature at F/2.8, and that is why it looks like it front/back focuses.

in any case, I got the best results stopped down a bit to F/3.5 or F/4 . The lens is amazingly sharp at F/5.6

Some samples:

Registered: May, 2012
Location: Sunshine Coast
Lens Review Date: September 3, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $499.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Very sharp, nice colours, good size physically, balances well on the Kr, seems well made, good price.
Cons: Zoom maybe not quite as smooth as it could be, plastic, (but what isn't these days)
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 9    New or Used: New    Camera Used: Kr

Bought this as a faster upgrade to the kit DAL 18-55. I've been using Tamron glass on my pentax cameras for 30 years and this latest lens has done nothing to change this. I've been using my Kr with the kit DAL since purchase in 2011, as well as a DA 50-200 10-24 Tamron wide zoom, and a DAL 55-300. All three take nice pictures, but after mounting this baby and taking a few shots when travelling to New Caledonia a few week ago, wow what a difference! It was like I had bought a new camera.

So sharp, such nice colours, and of course the very handy constant F2.8. The added weight if anything makes the Kr better balanced, and I have not experienced any focus problems. My Kr never seemed particularly prone to the focus issues that seemed to plague some models, and the lens focuses quickly and accurately even in low light. Pictures seem to be wall to wall sharp regardless of Fstop or focal length. Does not seem to suffer much from flare even when shooting without the hood, and almost into the sun. Very impressive!

The lens itself, seems well made, and nicely, if plainly finished. It is at least twice the weight of the kit lens, but that massive slab of 67mm glass in the front must account for some of it. The zoom on mine seems a little stiff, but as it is still new I'll alow it a bit of time to bed in before I detract points. I'de rather have it stiff to begin with, and wear in, than sloppy and just get worse. This is my 5th Tamron lens / Pentax camera combination and it is a marriage that seems to work well for me. This will be a worthy complement to my 10-24 Tamron wide zoom (also reviewed here), if I need to go telephoto I've got my Pentax 55-300 or my 30 year old Tamron 500 mm mirror.

I would recommend this lens to anyone considering a modestly priced upgrade from the kit lens, it delivers!

Location: North Bohemia
Lens Review Date: June 12, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $490.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: light, sharp, nice flare resistance, pricing, screw drive AF, f 2.8
Cons: plastic, no WR, screw drive AF, too light but good balace with K30- One hand affair(1.2 Kg)
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 6    Handling: 9    Value: 9    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K30

A good beginner standard zoom
A nice upgrade from kit lens (if you want 2.8 zoom)
It's sharper than my DA40 except the extreme corners
No BF/FF issues with an exception of shooting directly to the sun , it might be a problem of K30

Low light AF is good with K30
Lit it up. Night shot-no flash by Aleš87, on Flickr

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:09 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!