Third-Party Pentax Lenses - Reviews and Database » Tamron Lenses » Current Prime Lenses
Tamron SP AF 90mm F2.8 Di Macro Review RSS Feed

8.2
54 174,275 Mon June 18, 2018

Tamron SP AF 90mm F2.8 Di Macro

This is an autofocus macro lens which provides life size magnification (1:1). It covers the 24x36mm full-frame image format. It has an aperture ring with an "A" setting which not only makes the lens compatible with older K-mount film bodies, but also allows for aperture control in connection with extension tubes and bellows. This lens doubles as a short telephoto lens.

Tamron SP AF Di 90mm F2.8 Macro

Pouch included
Included
Multi-coated
71x96.5 mm (2.8x3.8 in.)
2005 to present (in production)
6 year warranty

Buy Lens: Buy the Tamron SP AF 90mm F2.8 Di Macro
In-Depth Review: Read our Tamron SP AF 90mm F2.8 Di Macro in-depth review!
Price: $409
Mount Type: Pentax K

Add Review of Tamron SP AF 90mm F2.8 Di Macro Buy the Tamron SP AF 90mm F2.8 Di Macro
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-15 of 54

Location: Dorset , UK
Lens Review Date: June 18, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $205.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: sharpness and bokeh
Cons: AF sound
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 7    Handling: 8    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-70

This Tamron lens is very very good optically (surely by far the most important aspect of any lens) !
Sharpness is wonderful and out of focus areas are smooth and I like them a lot !
AF speed (on Pentax K-70) is ok, it hunts sometimes but AF noise is horrendous )-:
MF is easy enough to implement (pull back the lens focusing ring and switch camera to MF (which you don`t have to do but then the cameras AF will override your MF and the focusing won`t be very smooth)

As you probably know there sadly are very few macro lenses that fit Pentax cameras, this Tamron being one of them. I can`t compare them with Pentax lenses but I can compare them with both Sigma 105mm OS macro and Sigma 150mm OS macro lenses (Nikon fit) and both have superior AF in speed, accuracy and lower noise and are possibly even sharper ! However, both are bigger and heavier and more expensive too !

I do recommend this lens, it`s not perfect but it does allow a great deal of fine detail to be recorded !

Registered: November, 2017
Lens Review Date: November 24, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Bokeh, sharpness, amazing overall image quality
Cons: no aperture ring for using on manual cameras
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 7    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New

I have the E72 version on my K1 and the SP Di in Nikon mount, both version is very great, soon pictures available.

Excellent lens also recommandable for portraits.

Registered: February, 2014
Location: Banja Luka

Lens Review Date: February 6, 2017 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $229.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, fast, nice colors & contrast
Cons: Weird AF / MF clutch
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 7    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-5IIs

This lens is an amazing value when you buy it used. There are older version with model numbers 72e and 172e, but this one is 272e which supposedly is best for digital sensor.

Never mind the macro capabilities, this lens is also an amazing medium telephoto on crop sensor. Wonderful portraits, sometimes even too sharp. Colors are very nice and the contrast follows. Auto focus is very fast when you use the limiter, which will not allow you to focus closer than 45cm but that's what you want for a telephoto.

I did a lot of searching for and researching about what telephoto to get for nice portraits. Those lenses are very expensive, as there is no Pentax 85mm with autofocus below $1000. Closest to my budget was Samyang 85mm 1.4 (which is MF) but that lens is not sharp until 2.8, so you get some nice bokeh but if you want sharp, then you need to stop down to (guess what) F/2.8.

Macro is a very interesting and satisfying form of photography and it does require a lot of experimenting and learning until you start producing something really good.

With this lens you have both macro and a nice autofocus telephoto.

Registered: September, 2008
Location: Omaha, NE

Lens Review Date: October 22, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: N/A

Pros:
Cons:
New or Used: New

Just wanted to say that it works on K-1.

Lens Review Date: July 21, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $350.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharpness, macro
Cons: af hunt, lens creep, purple fringing
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Autofocus: 6    Handling: 9    Value: 9    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K200D

very sharp wide open, prone to purple fringing when high contrast
af hunts in low light. lens creeping
focus limit is very useful

Registered: February, 2016
Location: Montreal

Lens Review Date: February 17, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: bokeh, sharpness, construction, price
Cons: autofocus
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: Pentax K5

It's a amazing macro lens. Very performant, sharpness. The only "default" is that it's a little bit slow (autofocus), but it's better to use the manual mode with a macro lens. It's clearly the best macro lens to beginning.

Registered: August, 2015

Lens Review Date: September 9, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $428.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp from wide open! Nice bokeh! Fine color and contrast. Low cost.
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-5, K-3

Almost ideal lens (may be, it lacks the ultrasonic motor)! I want the same, but for 135mm! And 300mm to!

Location: Wild-Nord-East Hungary

Lens Review Date: June 8, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp, contrast, color, build, focus limiter, price
Cons: I so far not found
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: Used    Camera Used: K-30

I purchased used, not primarily to photograph macro; lacked on analog routine 135 mm.
The DA 70 / 2.4 behind this is the best lens, which I have.
F2.8 aperture portrait is pleasant and nice bokeh; f4: portrait is almost too sharp.
The limiter is very useful; the focus so is very fast and accurate.
Limiter without a little hunting.
Bokeh narrow on opening at the somewhat confusing
The front lens sits deep enough, it can be used without a lens hood.
Manual with focus adjustment on my old Pentax (P30n) is also useful.

Registered: July, 2014
Location: Paris

Lens Review Date: November 2, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp, color rich, build
Cons: not WR
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 9    New or Used: New

Borrow this lens for a day, very nice macro lens, super sharp, even wide open
If it's a WR, it's gonna be on my "must buy soon" list ^^

Registered: February, 2014
Location: Sumner, WA

Lens Review Date: August 22, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $325.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: cost, focus limiter, easy manual focus
Cons: rear cap, hood
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-50

Very reasonably priced lens that really gets the job done. I strongly considered the Sigma 70mm f/2.8, but knew that I would want the extra length for bees, and haven't been disappointed. Take away the horrible fitting lens cap (have gotten it temporarily stuck when switching caps around, with it landing on another lens), and the super-touchy lens hood (very stiff, and tough to find the grooves, but the front element is so deep-set, that I never use it for any real macro work), and I have nothing to complain about. Takes nice portraits wide open (softens things a bit), and while it requires using two switches going from auto to manual focus, it's easy enough to do. The only time I use auto-focus is for moving insects, so I don't even have to mess with it most of the time. I think the build quality on the comparable Sigma 105mm is a little sturdier feeling, but the Tamron is definitely good enough. WR would be nice for laying out in the grass when it rains, but if that's your bag, then you would have went for the Pentax D-FA 100mm.

This is far and away my most used lens, and gives me consistently great results. Very little CA wide-open, and extremely sharp at f/8. I'm at a point where I rarely shoot this lens in raw anymore, just going with the in-camera "vibrant" setting, and snapping jpegs all day. It also produces some of my best bokeh shots. Really nothing more to say that hasn't already been said. Just an excellent performer that never lets me down. Here are a few pictures to end this

Location: Saskatoon

Lens Review Date: April 19, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $389.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: sharp, nice bokeh, faster than my zoom, almost half the price of the DFA 100 WR
Cons: switching from AF to MF, focus hunting
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 4    Handling: 4    Value: 8    New or Used: New    Camera Used: K-30

I wanted to link a picture taken with normal magnification, but this is my first 1:1 macro, and I'll be using it primarily for that. The only other time I'll use the Tamron over the DA 18-135 DC zoom is when I want a faster aperture than f5.6 at this focal length. I've got an A 50 f1.7 for portraits, which only puts 10 feet between the camera and the subject instead of 20. On an APS-C camera, this isn't practical as a portrait lens. It has an aperture ring, so I could use it with my Super Program film camera, and I'll take my last roll of Velvia film with this lens. It would be nice to have something like quick shift, you need to set the lens and camera to MF and leave it that way, but for macro photography I prefer manual focus anyway. Considering that the DFA 100 WR is almost twice as expensive, I am more than happy with this lens.

Location: Seattle, WA

Lens Review Date: January 23, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $399.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, fast, contrast, color, handling
Cons: I can't find any
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10    New or Used: Used

Outstanding portraits, closeups, product shots, candids, macro... so many uses for this lens and it does them all brilliantly. I've done side-by-side comparisons shooting this lens with other Pentax primes like the FA 43 Limited, DA 70 Limited, and DA 100 macro. This one is just as good or better shooting the same scenes on the same camera.

Should be higher priced than it is. I bought it used and will probably keep it forever.

So easy to get shots like these.

Lens Review Date: January 1, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Extremely sharp close-up, comfortably soft from 1,5m to infinity, handling and build quality are perfect.
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 9    New or Used: Used

I liked this lens for macro, but now I mostly use it for portraits.

AF with focusing limiter switch on is even faster than on KIT lens and almost never misses on both GX-20 and K-3.

There is one great feature - this lens become slightly softer at long range. Just soft enough for non-oversharpening portraits.

Bokeh is really good at all ranges.

It's my standard lens for daily use. Through 4 years of expeditions and daily usage didn't find any problems at all.

Lens Review Date: December 5, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $450.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Razor sharp, value
Cons: non
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 9    Autofocus: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 10    New or Used: New

This is simply the best lens I have. It had cost around 450 USD, if I remember correctly, and for this little money it offers perfect images. Very good IQ, ultra sharp, nice colors and contrast, smooth bokeh. What else could you want..? Sure, the shift-ring for the AF is a bit of a strange thing, but hey, does not bothers me at all. One could say it is not easy to clean the lens as the optics are badly reachable. But on the other hand there is no lose part such as a crappy lens hood and if you shoot something like raindrop-macros on your balcony, you do not have to bother with drying and cleaning your front-lens every 3 seconds

This lens is very usable on all openings. Right away from 2.8 down to what you may just need. Always quality ! Beautiful portraits are possible as well but remember the sharpness of that thing. Not always nice what you see on someones face when too sharp

A bit of a surprise for me was that 90mm experience on my DSLR's. You must take a bus and drive a bit if you wanted to make a photo of something bigger than a flower. For a portrait you will be already in some distance to get the full head on your photo.

This is in any way my lens where I have most confidence in. If I go out to shoot with this lens, it's sure that I will come back home with something nice on my SD-card. Highly recommended.

Lens Review Date: September 22, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $400.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp,colors,contrast,iq
Cons: When focus lens extends,light in macro not f2.8
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 10    Autofocus: 9    Handling: 8    Value: 9    New or Used: New

Very good macro lens. I do not like lens extnding when i focus very close cos lens front element go so near target. I alsodo not like at all that even i keep aperture same when focusing very near 1:1 macro i must also change shutter speed or flash power, this is very irritating sometimes. Lens have somekind of buildin macro tubes for closeup work and this cause this light variating problem. But can live woth it. Very very good lens for macro and portrait work.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:53 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!