Third-Party Pentax Lenses - Reviews and Database » Tokina Lenses » Zoom Lenses

Tokina 20-35mm 3.5-4.5

72mm filters, 17.8 oz./504g, 1.7'/0.4m close focus
Mount Type: Pentax K

Add Review of Tokina 20-35mm 3.5-4.5
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-5 of 5

Registered: December, 2018
Location: Telemark
Lens Review Date: September 25, 2020 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, great colors and fantastic value
Cons: none to be fair
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: Pentax K-1    Focusing: 8

Oh my, what a lens. You can't expect old lenses to handle 36 mpx resolution? Or can you? I also have the Pentax 15-30 mm f/2.8 which I'm considering selling. This one though, creates so nice images for me. I read a little about it online and found out it has a good word on the internet. It was cheap, small and sharp. I never expected it to be this sharp. My copy has a litle haze which they said didnt affect the images, but it does sometimes. Easy to remove with dehaze in lightroom and it's not even visible in all photos. My copy's zoom ring also fell loose from the glue. But this doesn't have anything to do with the lens per se, but more with my copy. I still use it and I love it because it gives me such nice photos. I'm looking for a second copy.

Lens Review Date: September 14, 2020 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $125.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: great image quality and useful widw angle range
Cons: some distortion at 20mm
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10    Camera Used: k1    Focusing: 10

This is a great travel lens. I've used for years a rarely travel without it

Registered: May, 2012

Lens Review Date: February 20, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $250.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Super sharp, un-expensive FF wide angle
Cons: CA, rotating front element
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 3    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-1

With the K-1 out there, price of FF wide angle lenses are getting sky high. The best options so far for the K-1 are the Pentax FA 20-35mm and the pricey 15-30mm. But there are other alternatives, better than the Sigmas and Tamrons 17-35mm, the Tokina 20-35mm. It's small, built like a tank and...sharp!

It's sharp already wide open, only the angles are lagging behind. Close the diafragm to F8 to get fantastic results. Only problem I see is the CA's, those are big. Use a lens hood and stop down to get better results. Colors are splendid, specially greens and blues.

If you find one do not hesitate, the Pentax 20-35mm is a bit better but will cost you double.

Lens Review Date: February 6, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: very sharp at f 8-11,very nice bokeh, excellent colors
Cons: some CA's
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 9    Camera Used: k-x,,fuji x-e1,k200

some Ca's afford to stop down this lens to f 8-11

doing this, you'll have much fun with it

Lens Review Date: November 28, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Super sharp. solid heavy duty build, price
Cons: not as fast as the 2.8, hard to find
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 10    Value: 10

I first discovered this lens when reading a review about the Nikon version, by the highly respected Ken Rockwell. To quote him,
The Tokina 20-35mm f/3.5-4.5 AF is the steal of the decade for an FX ultrawide zoom. Its optics are on par with most of Nikon's best lenses of its era, and this Tokina's mechanics are better than Nikon's similar-speed 18-35mm zoom.
The steal of the decade! He went on to compare it in detail to not only Nikon's best, but the ATX-pro 2.8 Tokina version of this lens.....and guess what t came out on top. In fact his tests showed that optically, it is MUCH better than the 2.8 higher priced version.
My search began. I found one on Ebay out of Japan and couldn't wait to get my hands on it to run some tests myself. And I wasn't disappointed. This lens clearly out performs my sigma 17-70, especially in sharpness, and while I would love for it to be wider than 3.5, the really good news is that this lens performs as well wide open as it does in what one might consider sweeter apertures.
Zooming is the best of any ultrawide zoom: it moves smoothly with a single fingertip.
This is a top notch, hard working lens, built, typically for Tokina, like a tank and with a smart 6-blade design. The weight and feel match up really well with the k3, and of course will stay in my arsenal if Pentax ever goes ff.
Maybe it doesn't have that extra bit of magic that one of the Pentax fa primes have, but if you are looking for professional grade, top level optics in a wide angle zoom......it will be hard to find a lens to match this for a Pentax body, at any price. The fact that this is also one of the least expensive wide angles out there is quite simply.....amazing. If you can find one pick it up!
Add Review of Tokina 20-35mm 3.5-4.5

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:08 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!