Third-Party Pentax Lenses - Reviews and Database » Tokina Lenses » Prime Lenses

7.5
 7.0
3 26,793 Mon December 8, 2014
Tokina (RMC / SL200 ) 200 mm F3.5

The Tokina 200mm f3.5 was sold as an RMC, and then superceded by the SL200 when the line-up was remodelled. However it is likely there was little change optically - the specifications didn't change.
The vivtar TX (but not the earlier T4 mount 200mm) mount 200mm f3.5 is presumed to be the same as this lens apart from the mount.
Scan of original Tokina brochure on the Tokina SL28 28mm page.
Can be found in all mounts of the era.

Min. FocusDistance (m) : 2.5
Filter Dia-eter (mm) : 58
Lens Diameter x Length (mm) : 65 x 140
Weight (g) : 525
Mount Type: Pentax K

Add Review of Tokina (RMC / SL200 ) 200 mm F3.5
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-3 of 3

Lens Review Date: December 8, 2014 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $50.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: good performer
Cons: some visible flare, some CA's
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 7    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 9    Value: 8

stopped down to f8 to f11 good sharpness

but the flare - ohooh

with light in back ok, but against the light some difficulties: strong flare

neverless I recommend it slidely

Registered: April, 2010
Location: Tamworth, NSW
Lens Review Date: November 5, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $30.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: PF not too bad, Decent sharpness, easy to use, precise well damped focus ring
Cons: can't fit filters due to lens hood. Thin DOF makes achieiving perfect focus very difficult.
Sharpness: 7    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 7    Handling: 7    Value: 8

I only got this lens today and have had minimal time with it. I will edit this as I get more familiar with it. Suffice to say I am liking it already. Not so sharp wide open but 1 stop and its away. Being M42 it is very user friendly. It wobbles a little when mounted on a genuine adaptor but tight when on a generic one I have.

Take this image as an example of capability. Raw, f8 on tripod with 2s MLU.

Bokeh is nice but substandard in comparo with FA50/1.4 and doesn't match the FA50 or FA100 for sharpness (which is to be expected). It is a decent cheap MF 200mm prime with less PF than the FA50 so for that aspect alone I am pretty happy. Handling wise the focus ring is stiffer than my Tak 35/3.5 but no different to any other Tokina I have had before. Half stops would have been nice though especially between 3.5 and 5.6.

I use it on my K5.

Edit:
I've spent a bit of time with this lens now and I really like it. It is very difficult to get perfect focus especially wide open. Its a great focal length to shot playing kids with, although there was a good deal of missed shots due to focus. A few more samples shown below. CA isn't as bad as my FA100 but it is there. For the price paid it is very good and I am happy with the purchase and would happily recommend it if you saw one for similar money.

Tokina 200/3.5 @3.5 by Ben78@Flickr, on Flickr

Tokina 200/3.5 @5.6 by Ben78@Flickr, on Flickr

Tokina 200/3.5 @f8 by Ben78@Flickr, on Flickr

Registered: September, 2008
Location: France - Rhône-Alpes/Auvergne
Lens Review Date: January 8, 2009 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $60.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: very well built
Cons: min. focus distance

With a K100D, I've obtained good results at F5.6 and F8.0.
Add Review of Tokina (RMC / SL200 ) 200 mm F3.5

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:20 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!