Third-Party Pentax Lenses - Reviews and Database » Tokina Lenses » Prime Lenses

5.0
 6.0
 7.0
1 1,131 Mon December 10, 2018

A fairly readily available 400mm lense that works with FF like the K-1.
Mount Type: Pentax K

Add Review of Tokina RMC 400mm f5.6
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-1 of 1

Registered: May, 2018
Lens Review Date: December 10, 2018 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $60.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Can be found used cheaply.
Cons: Manual focus only which may be an issue for some. No tripod mount
Sharpness: 6    Aberrations: 5    Bokeh: 5    Handling: 6    Value: 7    Camera Used: Pentax K-1

I bought a K-1 whilst using a Nikon D3300 with a Sigma 300mm APO which I really liked. I was trying to photograph quite a few birds in flight and found the autofocus "hunting" a fain so, in some respects, I don't really miss the autofocus on the RMC Tokina.

It's not fast, it's not forgiving but you CAN take it as carry on and you don't have thousands of dollars tied up in keeping it safe. If you want a 400mm but do not have access to good new or used deals with Pentax mount lenses and one of these becomes available, it's well worth considering. Not every shot you can take with a 400mm lense and sell needs to be pin sharp. Some of this lense's "issues" can be mitigated in post production (I use the software that came with the K-1). Anyway, until I get something better .... the size of the 560mm ED DA Pentax jobby puts me off since I travel nearly all the time ... though I am considering it ... just need to work out how to protect it ... if you see one of these and it works and is pretty clean, I'd get it and, if you don't play with it happily, sell it on. I'm very glad I got mine snce, as a Pentaxian, the world is not full of great, used deals on Pentax or 3rd part telephoto primes.
Add Review of Tokina RMC 400mm f5.6

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:34 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!