Third-Party Pentax Lenses - Reviews and Database » Voigtlander Lenses » Prime Lenses
Voigtlander 40mm F/2 Ultron SLII Review RSS Feed

Lens Construction: 6 elements in 5 groups
Largest to smallest Aperture: F2 - F22
Picture Angle: 57°
Aperture Blades: 9
Closest Focus: 0.38m (1:7)
Diameter x Length: 63.0 mm x 24.5 mm
Weight: 200 g
Mount: KA
Filter diameter: 52mm
Mount Type:

Add Review of Voigtlander 40mm F/2 Ultron SLII
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-6 of 6

Lens Review Date: October 31, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $300.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Small, well made, smooth, IQ
Cons: Narrow focus ring, makes my other lenses seem ordinary.
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 9    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-5, k-5 iis

Beautifully made by Cosina, where they make the Zeiss stuff. Handles well, and is generally an object of joy to behold. Havent noticed any problem with CA or distorsion.
Sharpness and contrast are severely good. When i want ultimate iq i go to this lens or the pentax m macro 100. I give it a 9 for sharpness only because i have seen pics from the voigtlander 58 nokton, which is even slightly better, somehow. I dont know how they did it. the great shame is that cosina have discontinued manufacture of the pentax k varieties niw, so final stocks only available. likely to pish prices up. It is an exquisite lens.

Lens Review Date: April 20, 2016 I can recommend this lens: No | Price: None indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Light, well built, smooth focusing
Cons: I.Q. is just a hair above average
Sharpness: 8    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 8    Camera Used: K3ii

I've owned two of these lenses over the years. I've also shot lots of Pentax and Zeiss ZK lenses in this range. Frankly, many of these other lenses' IQ clearly exceed the IQ of this lens.

It's build is exceptional, an easy 10 out of 10.

However, from an image standpoint, the Voigtlander 40mm lens is maybe a bit above average at best. It's certainly not worthy of the 9.75 overall rating that it currently carries on this website.

Lens Review Date: April 22, 2015 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, color, bokeh
Cons: CA
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: K-5, K-7

Location: Albuquerque NM

Lens Review Date: February 27, 2011 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Metal construction, fast, terrific IQ, covers film, buttery focus, KA mount
Cons: No AF--not a big con for me, though

What can I say, this is a near-perfect lens. The image quality is absolutely superb. Resolution meets or exceeds the now legendary performace of the DA40 (which I also use) and adds a stop of speed. The F/2 is not just for show, as the lens performs very well wide open. It has replaced the fast 50 as my film lens. I like its wider view, greater depth of field and excellent speed for travel and landscape.

I bought this for my fiilm bodies. What I did not expect is what a superb and enjoyable performer it is on a DSLR. It has a neutral color rendition and nice microcontrast. The KA mount means DSLR metering and flash work fine. I don't even miss the autofocus. With an F/2 max apertue, the finder is bright and easy to focus, even on pentamirror bodies. Great results are possible at F/8 even if you don't focus at all but just use the hyperfocal setting.

The DA40 was already one of my most used lenses. This lens is destined to join it for my film work.

Registered: July, 2009
Location: Puerto Rico
Lens Review Date: January 2, 2010 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $379.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: light, sharp, well built
Cons: some CA

These are my impressions after using the lens for 3 weeks. I find this lens to be top quality, both optically and mechanically. The focal length, equivalent to 60 mm when used on a k20d, is very convenient. Focusing is very smooth and precise. Comes with a matched close-up adapter that allows the lens to do a quarter of life size. Using the adapter introduces no distortion that I can see. Wide open I find the lens to be sharp but of course requires careful focusing due to the shallow depth of field.

The only negative characteristic that I have observed is that the lens suffers from CA in very high contrast areas. This has not been a problem for the kind of photography I normally do, but is clearly visible under the right conditions. I think I read in photozone that this is a common problem with fast lenses. This doesn't affect most of my images , so I gave the lens a rating of 10; having the possibility I would have rated it 9.5 due to the CA.

The following image illustrates the CA. The aperture was f2.

Registered: February, 2009
Location: Vienna
Lens Review Date: July 30, 2009 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $460.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Excellent build quality, fast, compact, sharp wide open, good image quality, fair pricing, accessories
Cons: unpractical lens cap, some flare

It's remarkable that nobody has reviewed this lens here yet as one would assume that with its all metal build, excellent overall image quality and compact size it would particularly appeal to Pentax users.

The Ultron's physical length doesn't exceed that of the Pentax DA 21mm and 70mm Limited pancakes and also the build quality is easily on par with that of Pentax' counterparts. Manual focus on this lens is easily the best and most enjoyable I have operated to date, the focus ring being very well damped and rubberized with a focus throw that is just about perfect. The lens comes with a tiny, thoughtfully designed lens hood, a close-up filter and a snap-on lens cap. The latter is the only minor design flaw: it is made of plastic and only fits on the lens hood. Due to its small size (33mm, I think) it is sometimes awkward to use. Overall the Ultron SLII feels very substantial and balances well on my K-m.

Image quality is generally very good. Colour reproduction, sharpness and contrast seem excellent to me and while I do not perfrom any formal tests with my lenses, I cannot complain about chromatic aberration, vignetting or distortion. My pictures generally turn out very well with this lens. Notably, it is already sharp at its biggest aperture of F/2, which allows for some interesting possibilities in low light. While the bokeh is not outstanding, it commonly looks good to me. I have also seen examples where it could have been a bit more pleasant, but overall you'd have to be very critical to seriously call it problematic, I'd say. Anyway, depth of field is more than shallow enough for creative use without making manual focussing too difficult.

I bought the Voigtländer Ultron to complement my setup with a fast, compact lens for travelling and while I thought I preferred normal to wide focal ranges, it has quickly grown on me with its 40mm, i. e. long-normal, focal length. It is a very versatile lens and a great option for street and night photography. Anyone interested in the incredibly popular Pentax DA 40mm Limited lens should seriously consider the Ultron SLII as an alternative. It is hardly any bigger than the DA but a whole stop faster and provides plenty of value for a fair price.
Add Review of Voigtlander 40mm F/2 Ultron SLII

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:36 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!