Third-Party Pentax Lenses - Reviews and Database » Miscellaneous Lenses » Prime Lenses
Yashica 50mm f/1.7 Yashinon DS-M Review RSS Feed

Yashica 50mm f/1.7 Yashinon DS-M

* Made in Japan.
* 50mm focal length.
* 6 aperture blades.
* Aperture selection is f/1.7, f/2, f/2.8, f/4, f/5.6, f/8, f/11, and f16.
* Minimum focus distance on ring is 0.5 meters.
* M42 mount.
* No Auto/Manual aperture selection switch.
* The "M" in the name "DS-M" stands for multicoated optics.
Mount Type:

Add Review of Yashica 50mm f/1.7 Yashinon DS-M
Sort Reviews by: Date | Author | Rating | Recommendation | Likes (Descending) Showing Reviews 1-3 of 3

Lens Review Date: March 22, 2016 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: $50.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: very sharp lens
Cons: nothing
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 9    Bokeh: 10    Handling: 9    Value: 10    Camera Used: fujifilm x-e1

very similar to the zeiss planar 1,7/50

very sharp, nice bokeh, good color rendition, high contrast

best results f 5,6-8

Registered: August, 2013
Location: near Boulder Colorado
Lens Review Date: August 26, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: very sharp at middle apertures, build quality, cheap, manual focus only
Cons: no auto/man switch, manual focus only
Sharpness: 9    Aberrations: 8    Bokeh: 8    Handling: 10    Value: 10

Both photos taken with a K-01 ISO 1600, 1/20 f/2.8

Mine is the single coated version without the "-M" in the name. I bought it on a Yashica TL Electro-X in the summer of 1973. I glued the auto pin down with JB Weld.

The lens is a bit soft wide open nice and sharp by f/2.8 sharpest at f/5.6 and f/8, and declines due to diffraction after that.

I can see a little bit of Chromatic Aberration at the corners when wide open.

In the first photo you can see flare. This was a very low light situation, and there were (relatively) bright points just outside the frame.

Location: Nevada, USA
Lens Review Date: July 31, 2013 I can recommend this lens: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Solid construction, very sharp with reduced aperture, excellent colors
Cons: No A/M switch, boring bokeh
Sharpness: 10    Aberrations: 10    Bokeh: 3    Handling: 9    Value: 10

My copy of this lens has amazing color rendition and is extremely sharp, especially when stopped down to f/8. I could not see aberrations in my stopped down shots. The control rings are well sized, easy to grab, and operate very well. Aperture starts at f/1.7 and the next step down is f/2. This step is marked with a tiny dot next to f/1.7 and is very a short click. You would almost miss it if you didn't know about it.

There is no A/M switch to control the aperture so you will need to glue down the aperture pin or modify the internals of the lens. I glued my pin down after debating it in my head. My bokeh turns out boring, especially compared to a Helios 44M.

I am very pleased with this lens as a walk around lens where I would want as much sharpness across the picture as possible.

I got this lens in a kit full of other goodies so no price is given for my review.

Enjoy the pixel peeping below!

IMGP2280 by poweredbypoptarts, on Flickr

IMGP2309 by poweredbypoptarts, on Flickr
Add Review of Yashica 50mm f/1.7 Yashinon DS-M

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:45 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!